how to host my own DNS for websites?

I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own DNS(s)
and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be the
best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?

Here is my hardware/software configuration:
I’m running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.

I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS? My
limited knowledge is limiting me so I don’t really know where the problem is
and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft
Server?

Please advice me.

Thanks,

Mike
21 answers Last reply
More about host websites

    Hi,

    Just my c cents, but you shouldn't really host your own dns on a single
    connection. If it ever goes down you will loose all name resolution for
    your domain and bad things happen to your site and mail. You really need a
    minimum of 2 servers on 2 different conections to host dns reliably. There
    are many providers that will do this for you for as little as a few pounds a
    year, so is it worth the bother?

    On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
    you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for the
    registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
    IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll probably
    need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
    registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
    ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different policies, so
    it'll depend on what TLD's you have.

    To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not try
    to host this part of your website yourself.

    "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
    > them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own
    > DNS(s)
    > and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be
    > the
    > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
    >
    > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
    > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
    >
    > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
    > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
    > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS?
    > My
    > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the problem
    > is
    > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of
    > Microsoft
    > Server?
    >
    > Please advice me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Paul,

    Thanks for your time.

    I totaly agree regarding not hosting my own dns(s) but I don't know where to
    start. On my other posts I heard about zoneedit.com but still I am not sure
    how to start. On the other hand since I am not big hosting company and since
    I boot my server from time to time, I really like the idea having my DNSes to
    be hosted outside. Since I have my company's domain registered with
    register.com, can I have register.com to configure that name as my DNS server
    by adding DNS1 and DNS2 to it? I actually called them 2 weeks ago and asked
    them to point DNS1 & DNS2 .mydomain.com to my server's public IP address and
    that didn't work! Now after 2 weeks still when I ping my other domains which
    are pointing to my DNS1 and DNS2 as their Domain Servers I don't get any ip
    resolved !!!

    As I explained I need to host my own webpages and email in-house but I have
    problem on driving the traffic to my server. I really like to expand my
    server by hosting more and more domain names and if I can have my own DNS1
    and DNS2 then my life would be alot easier than pointing each domain manually
    to my ip!!! Please advice

    Thanks,

    Mike

    "Paul" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just my c cents, but you shouldn't really host your own dns on a single
    > connection. If it ever goes down you will loose all name resolution for
    > your domain and bad things happen to your site and mail. You really need a
    > minimum of 2 servers on 2 different conections to host dns reliably. There
    > are many providers that will do this for you for as little as a few pounds a
    > year, so is it worth the bother?
    >
    > On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
    > you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for the
    > registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
    > IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll probably
    > need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
    > registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
    > ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different policies, so
    > it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
    >
    > To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not try
    > to host this part of your website yourself.
    >

    > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
    > > them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own
    > > DNS(s)
    > > and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be
    > > the
    > > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
    > >
    > > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    > > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    > > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
    > > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
    > >
    > > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
    > > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
    > > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS?
    > > My
    > > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the problem
    > > is
    > > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of
    > > Microsoft
    > > Server?
    > >
    > > Please advice me.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike

    I like www.microtech.co.gg, but I'm biased :)

    Some companies won't simply point your domains to 2 supplied IP's. An if
    you have not registered them as name servers with register.com then the
    names will not have 'glue' at the roots either.

    Did you forward port 53, both udp and tcp on your router back to your
    server? Another thing to be careful of, some routers only forward from the
    outside in, not from the inside, so you have to be careful. You may think
    it is not working from inside your network when in fact it is resolving for
    outside clients ok.

> [...]
    >> > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
    >> >
    >> > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    >> > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    >> > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public
    >> > IP
    >> > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
    >> > think
    >> > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have
    >> > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use
    >> > SBS?
    >> > My
    >> > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the
    >> > problem
    >> > is
    >> > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of

    I have everything about port 53 opened on my firewall but still when i check
    i see port 53 is closed.

    "Paul" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> pounds a
    > >> year, so is it worth the bother?
    > >>
    > >> On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
    > >> you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for
    > >> the
    > >> registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
    > >> IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll
    > >> probably
    > >> need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
    > >> registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
    > >> ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different
    > >> policies, so
    > >> it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
    > >>
    > >> To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not
    > >> try
    > >> to host this part of your website yourself.

    BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
    domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.

> [...]
    >> > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
    >> >
    >> > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    >> > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    >> > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public
    >> > IP
    >> > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
    >> > think
    >> > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have
    >> > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use
    >> > SBS?
    >> > My
    >> > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the
    >> > problem
    >> > is
    >> > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    dns1.elegantwebservices.com
    64.81.37.108

    "Paul" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> pounds a
    > >> year, so is it worth the bother?
    > >>
    > >> On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
    > >> you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for
    > >> the
    > >> registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
    > >> IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll
    > >> probably
    > >> need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
    > >> registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
    > >> ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different
    > >> policies, so
    > >> it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
    > >>
    > >> To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not
    > >> try
    > >> to host this part of your website yourself.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    OK, dns1.elegantwebservices.com resolves from glue which is good. They
    obviously added your name as a name server.

    There seems to be no port 53 running on your ip, so 1 of three things is
    probably happening.

    your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
    enabling to listen on all interfaces and check your router forwarding
    Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or it has
    firewalled it
    Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service ports,
    though it's more comming on 25 and 80.

    > dns1.elegantwebservices.com
    > 64.81.37.108
    >
    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    >> BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
    >> domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.
    >>
    >> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Paul,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your time.
    >> >
    >> > I totaly agree regarding not hosting my own dns(s) but I don't know
    >> > where
    >> > start. On my other posts I heard about zoneedit.com but still I am not
    >> > sure
    >> > how to start. On the other hand since I am not big hosting company and
    >> > since
    >> > I boot my server from time to time, I really like the idea having my
    >> > DNSes
    >> > be hosted outside. Since I have my company's domain registered with
    >> > register.com, can I have register.com to configure that name as my DNS
    >> > server
    >> > by adding DNS1 and DNS2 to it? I actually called them 2 weeks ago and
    >> > asked
    >> > them to point DNS1 & DNS2 .mydomain.com to my server's public IP
    >> > address
    >> > and
    >> > that didn't work! Now after 2 weeks still when I ping my other domains
    >> > which
    >> > are pointing to my DNS1 and DNS2 as their Domain Servers I don't get
    >> > any
    >> > ip
    >> > resolved !!!
    >> >
    >> > As I explained I need to host my own webpages and email in-house but I
    >> > have
    >> > problem on driving the traffic to my server. I really like to expand my
    >> > server by hosting more and more domain names and if I can have my own
    >> > DNS1
    >> > and DNS2 then my life would be alot easier than pointing each domain
    >> > manually
    >> > to my ip!!! Please advice
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Mike

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
    > enabling to listen on all interfaces
    I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for every
    domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?

    and check your router forwarding
    > Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
    I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.

    >it has
    > firewalled it
    > Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service ports,
    > though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
    I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL

    can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)

    Thanks,

    Mike

    > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > dns1.elegantwebservices.com
    > > 64.81.37.108
    > >
    > > "Paul" wrote:
    > >
    > >> BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
    > >> domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.
    > >>
    > >> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly not
    open from here.

    try

    nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1

    assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1

    This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either your
    forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
    gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
    server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
    Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
    itself and continue to surf?

    >> your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
    >> enabling to listen on all interfaces
    > I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for
    > every
    > domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?
    >
    > and check your router forwarding
    >> Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
    > I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.
    >
    >>it has
    >> firewalled it
    >> Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service
    >> ports,
    >> though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
    > I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL
    >
    > can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I just found this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263

    What do you think?

    "Paul Smith" wrote:

    > Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly not
    > open from here.
    >
    > try
    >
    > nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
    >
    > assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
    >
    > This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either your
    > forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
    > gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
    > server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
    > Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
    > itself and continue to surf?
    >

    > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
    > >> enabling to listen on all interfaces
    > > I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for
    > > every
    > > domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?
    > >
    > > and check your router forwarding
    > >> Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
    > > I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.
    > >
    > >>it has
    > >> firewalled it
    > >> Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service
    > >> ports,
    > >> though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
    > > I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL
    > >
    > > can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.

    >I just found this article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > "Paul Smith" wrote:
    >
    >> Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly
    >> not
    >> open from here.
    >>
    >> try
    >>
    >> nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
    >>
    >> assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
    >>
    >> This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either
    >> your
    >> forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
    >> gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
    >> server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
    >> Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
    >> itself and continue to surf?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    You could also just try following the steps in the article. It should take
    about 5 minutes to confirm either way. You can't break anything by
    implementing this setting.

    "Paul Smith" <pjsmith@microtech.coDOTgg> wrote in message
    >I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.
    >
    > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I just found this article:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >>
    >> "Paul Smith" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly
    >>> not
    >>> open from here.
    >>>
    >>> try
    >>>
    >>> nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
    >>>
    >>> assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
    >>>
    >>> This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either
    >>> your
    >>> forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
    >>> gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
    >>> server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming
    >>> queries.
    >>> Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns
    >>> server
    >>> itself and continue to surf?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I did these but no luck.

    I actually noticed port 53 is not saying it is BLOCKED and is saying CLOSED.

    DNS 53 CLOSED This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are
    not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for
    someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.

    So it is not my firewall.
    I also called my ISP and they confirmed all ports are open.

    "Jeff Westhead [MSFT]" wrote:

    > You could also just try following the steps in the article. It should take
    > about 5 minutes to confirm either way. You can't break anything by
    > implementing this setting.
    >
    > "Paul Smith" <pjsmith@microtech.coDOTgg> wrote in message
    > >I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.
    > >
    > > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I just found this article:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
    > >>
    > >> What do you think?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
    <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
    >them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own DNS(s)
    >and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be the
    >best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
    >
    >Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    >I’m running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    >firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
    >which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
    >
    >I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
    >the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
    >assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS? My
    >limited knowledge is limiting me so I don’t really know where the problem is
    >and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft
    >Server?

    SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
    allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
    some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:

    DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
    http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm

    Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/dnskbs.asp

    Might help to know the version of SBS.

    Jeff
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:416f6c00.1015669124@msnews.microsoft.com,
    Jeff Cochran <jeff.nospam@zina.com> made a post then I commented below
    > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
    > <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like
    >> to host them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to
    >> create my own DNS(s) and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am
    >> I correct? What would be the best solution on assigning my public
    >> IPs to DNS(s)?
    >>
    >> Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    >> Iâ?Tm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    >> firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my
    >> public IP which is directing the traffics to my server which has a
    >> private IP.
    >>
    >> I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
    >> think the problem is the version of software that I am using or
    >> maybe I have to assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe
    >> I should not use SBS? My limited knowledge is limiting me so I
    >> donâ?Tt really know where the problem is and how I can fix it. Or
    >> maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft Server?
    >
    > SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
    > allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
    > some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:
    >
    > DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
    > http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm
    >
    > Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/dnskbs.asp
    >
    > Might help to know the version of SBS.
    >
    > Jeff

    I was just thinking the same thing, Jeff. If ISA is running, a rule needs to
    be created and applied to allow DNS traffic inbound and outbound. Hence why
    I believe it's currently showing up as 'closed' in the tests.

    Maybe this may help, but not sure about the subtle differences with SBS:

    Running a DNS Server on an ISA Server:
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Running_a_DNS_Server_on_the_ISA_Server.html

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I fixed the issue,

    The problem was the DNS Interfaces

    I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the Interfaces tab
    and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests :) All my sites are
    working now.

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:416f6c00.1015669124@msnews.microsoft.com,
    > Jeff Cochran <jeff.nospam@zina.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
    > > <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like
    > >> to host them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to
    > >> create my own DNS(s) and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am
    > >> I correct? What would be the best solution on assigning my public
    > >> IPs to DNS(s)?
    > >>
    > >> Here is my hardware/software configuration:
    > >> Iâ?Tm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
    > >> firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my
    > >> public IP which is directing the traffics to my server which has a
    > >> private IP.
    > >>
    > >> I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
    > >> think the problem is the version of software that I am using or
    > >> maybe I have to assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe
    > >> I should not use SBS? My limited knowledge is limiting me so I
    > >> donâ?Tt really know where the problem is and how I can fix it. Or
    > >> maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft Server?
    > >
    > > SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
    > > allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
    > > some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:
    > >
    > > DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
    > > http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm
    > >
    > > Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/dnskbs.asp
    > >
    > > Might help to know the version of SBS.
    > >
    > > Jeff
    >
    > I was just thinking the same thing, Jeff. If ISA is running, a rule needs to
    > be created and applied to allow DNS traffic inbound and outbound. Hence why
    > I believe it's currently showing up as 'closed' in the tests.
    >
    > Maybe this may help, but not sure about the subtle differences with SBS:
    >
    > Running a DNS Server on an ISA Server:
    > http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Running_a_DNS_Server_on_the_ISA_Server.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:19BC3199-C710-4B00-9F74-EDA8108BE7B5@microsoft.com,
    Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > I fixed the issue,
    >
    > The problem was the DNS Interfaces
    >
    > I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the
    > Interfaces tab and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests
    > :) All my sites are working now.

    Ah yes, I *assumed* it was listening on the external interface. I should
    have asked... :-)

    Ace
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace,

    Quick question:

    Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
    To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?

    Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's the way
    of forwarding it.

    Can you please adivce me?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:19BC3199-C710-4B00-9F74-EDA8108BE7B5@microsoft.com,
    > Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > I fixed the issue,
    > >
    > > The problem was the DNS Interfaces
    > >
    > > I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the
    > > Interfaces tab and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests
    > > :) All my sites are working now.
    >
    > Ah yes, I *assumed* it was listening on the external interface. I should
    > have asked... :-)
    >
    > Ace

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:A896BDBE-0E08-4678-ACC3-20B8458B395F@microsoft.com,
    Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Ace,
    >
    > Quick question:
    >
    > Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
    > To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?
    >
    > Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's
    > the way of forwarding it.
    >
    > Can you please adivce me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Thats another good question. If you point to the external NIC, then the
    internal folks cannot get to it, since that's the purpose of what you're
    doing. This is a true example of needing a separate DNS to host your
    external records for running an internal webserver for public use, since the
    internal folks need to get to it too.

    Ace
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Since this is the only hardware that I have at this moment, what would be the
    best way of pointing the Host? I am planning of setting up my second box
    sometimes next month but meanwhile I would like to run everything from this
    box.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:A896BDBE-0E08-4678-ACC3-20B8458B395F@microsoft.com,
    > Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > Ace,
    > >
    > > Quick question:
    > >
    > > Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
    > > To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?
    > >
    > > Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's
    > > the way of forwarding it.
    > >
    > > Can you please adivce me?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > Thats another good question. If you point to the external NIC, then the
    > internal folks cannot get to it, since that's the purpose of what you're
    > doing. This is a true example of needing a separate DNS to host your
    > external records for running an internal webserver for public use, since the
    > internal folks need to get to it too.
    >
    > Ace

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:C31E3668-A0ED-46C7-9EDF-914C2589264C@microsoft.com,
    Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Since this is the only hardware that I have at this moment, what
    > would be the best way of pointing the Host? I am planning of setting
    > up my second box sometimes next month but meanwhile I would like to
    > run everything from this box.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    I guess your priority will be to your external Internet users. I would, if
    that is the priority, to use the external address. You need tro make the
    call on that one.

    BUT... If you are getting another server, there's a NAT limitation that it
    will only listen and forward to one port per IP. If the ISA is doing the
    external stuff, you won;t be able to forward port 53 to your new internal
    DNS. Unless of course, you use the ISA's DNS to handle external queries
    only, and setup the internal DNS for your AD use and internal clients only.
    On that server, you would create the www record and give it the private
    address.

    -- Ace

DNS Servers Windows