how to host my own DNS for websites?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 5, 2004 11:23:02 AM

I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own DNS(s)
and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be the
best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?

Here is my hardware/software configuration:
I’m running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.

I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS? My
limited knowledge is limiting me so I don’t really know where the problem is
and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft
Server?

Please advice me.

Thanks,

Mike

More about : host dns websites

October 5, 2004 9:22:12 PM

Hi,

Just my c cents, but you shouldn't really host your own dns on a single
connection. If it ever goes down you will loose all name resolution for
your domain and bad things happen to your site and mail. You really need a
minimum of 2 servers on 2 different conections to host dns reliably. There
are many providers that will do this for you for as little as a few pounds a
year, so is it worth the bother?

On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for the
registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll probably
need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different policies, so
it'll depend on what TLD's you have.

To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not try
to host this part of your website yourself.

"Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
> them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own
> DNS(s)
> and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be
> the
> best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
>
> Here is my hardware/software configuration:
> I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
> firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
> which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
>
> I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
> the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
> assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS?
> My
> limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the problem
> is
> and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of
> Microsoft
> Server?
>
> Please advice me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:22:13 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your time.

I totaly agree regarding not hosting my own dns(s) but I don't know where to
start. On my other posts I heard about zoneedit.com but still I am not sure
how to start. On the other hand since I am not big hosting company and since
I boot my server from time to time, I really like the idea having my DNSes to
be hosted outside. Since I have my company's domain registered with
register.com, can I have register.com to configure that name as my DNS server
by adding DNS1 and DNS2 to it? I actually called them 2 weeks ago and asked
them to point DNS1 & DNS2 .mydomain.com to my server's public IP address and
that didn't work! Now after 2 weeks still when I ping my other domains which
are pointing to my DNS1 and DNS2 as their Domain Servers I don't get any ip
resolved !!!

As I explained I need to host my own webpages and email in-house but I have
problem on driving the traffic to my server. I really like to expand my
server by hosting more and more domain names and if I can have my own DNS1
and DNS2 then my life would be alot easier than pointing each domain manually
to my ip!!! Please advice

Thanks,

Mike

"Paul" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just my c cents, but you shouldn't really host your own dns on a single
> connection. If it ever goes down you will loose all name resolution for
> your domain and bad things happen to your site and mail. You really need a
> minimum of 2 servers on 2 different conections to host dns reliably. There
> are many providers that will do this for you for as little as a few pounds a
> year, so is it worth the bother?
>
> On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
> you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for the
> registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
> IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll probably
> need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
> registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
> ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different policies, so
> it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
>
> To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not try
> to host this part of your website yourself.
>

> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
> > them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own
> > DNS(s)
> > and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be
> > the
> > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
> >
> > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
> > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
> > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
> > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
> >
> > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
> > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
> > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS?
> > My
> > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the problem
> > is
> > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of
> > Microsoft
> > Server?
> >
> > Please advice me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 5, 2004 10:05:26 PM

I like www.microtech.co.gg, but I'm biased :)

Some companies won't simply point your domains to 2 supplied IP's. An if
you have not registered them as name servers with register.com then the
names will not have 'glue' at the roots either.

Did you forward port 53, both udp and tcp on your router back to your
server? Another thing to be careful of, some routers only forward from the
outside in, not from the inside, so you have to be careful. You may think
it is not working from inside your network when in fact it is resolving for
outside clients ok.

"Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9712113-5B1C-4AA3-BA19-9270B349103E@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
>> >
>> > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
>> > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
>> > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public
>> > IP
>> > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
>> >
>> > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
>> > think
>> > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have
>> > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use
>> > SBS?
>> > My
>> > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the
>> > problem
>> > is
>> > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:05:27 PM

I have everything about port 53 opened on my firewall but still when i check
i see port 53 is closed.

"Paul" wrote:

> [...]
> >> pounds a
> >> year, so is it worth the bother?
> >>
> >> On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
> >> you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for
> >> the
> >> registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
> >> IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll
> >> probably
> >> need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
> >> registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
> >> ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different
> >> policies, so
> >> it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
> >>
> >> To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not
> >> try
> >> to host this part of your website yourself.

October 5, 2004 10:06:36 PM

BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.

> [...]
>> > best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
>> >
>> > Here is my hardware/software configuration:
>> > I'm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
>> > firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public
>> > IP
>> > which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
>> >
>> > I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
>> > think
>> > the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have
>> > assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use
>> > SBS?
>> > My
>> > limited knowledge is limiting me so I don't really know where the
>> > problem
>> > is
>> > and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:06:37 PM

dns1.elegantwebservices.com
64.81.37.108

"Paul" wrote:

> [...]
> >> pounds a
> >> year, so is it worth the bother?
> >>
> >> On the other hand if you do want to go ahead what you have got should get
> >> you going. You'll probably need to setup a minimum of 2 dns servers for
> >> the
> >> registries to register names. This either means two servers on different
> >> IP's or 2 IP's pointing to a single server (which is bad!). You'll
> >> probably
> >> need to register these IP's/DNS servers as name servers with your domain
> >> registrar before you can get glue in the roots for them (assuming it's
> >> ..coms, .nets, etc). Various different registries have different
> >> policies, so
> >> it'll depend on what TLD's you have.
> >>
> >> To get a reliable service, if you are concerned with that, I would not
> >> try
> >> to host this part of your website yourself.

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:33:01 PM

OK, dns1.elegantwebservices.com resolves from glue which is good. They
obviously added your name as a name server.

There seems to be no port 53 running on your ip, so 1 of three things is
probably happening.

your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
enabling to listen on all interfaces and check your router forwarding
Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or it has
firewalled it
Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service ports,
though it's more comming on 25 and 80.

"Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D A9C7B7E-EA49-4D33-A808-BC204921C364@microsoft.com...
> dns1.elegantwebservices.com
> 64.81.37.108
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
>> BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
>> domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.
>>
>> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 9712113-5B1C-4AA3-BA19-9270B349103E@microsoft.com...
>> > Paul,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your time.
>> >
>> > I totaly agree regarding not hosting my own dns(s) but I don't know
>> > where
>> > start. On my other posts I heard about zoneedit.com but still I am not
>> > sure
>> > how to start. On the other hand since I am not big hosting company and
>> > since
>> > I boot my server from time to time, I really like the idea having my
>> > DNSes
>> > be hosted outside. Since I have my company's domain registered with
>> > register.com, can I have register.com to configure that name as my DNS
>> > server
>> > by adding DNS1 and DNS2 to it? I actually called them 2 weeks ago and
>> > asked
>> > them to point DNS1 & DNS2 .mydomain.com to my server's public IP
>> > address
>> > and
>> > that didn't work! Now after 2 weeks still when I ping my other domains
>> > which
>> > are pointing to my DNS1 and DNS2 as their Domain Servers I don't get
>> > any
>> > ip
>> > resolved !!!
>> >
>> > As I explained I need to host my own webpages and email in-house but I
>> > have
>> > problem on driving the traffic to my server. I really like to expand my
>> > server by hosting more and more domain names and if I can have my own
>> > DNS1
>> > and DNS2 then my life would be alot easier than pointing each domain
>> > manually
>> > to my ip!!! Please advice
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mike

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:33:02 PM

> your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
> enabling to listen on all interfaces
I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for every
domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?

and check your router forwarding
> Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.

>it has
> firewalled it
> Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service ports,
> though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL

can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)

Thanks,

Mike

> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D A9C7B7E-EA49-4D33-A808-BC204921C364@microsoft.com...
> > dns1.elegantwebservices.com
> > 64.81.37.108
> >
> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> >> BTW - If you want to post the ips or your dns servers and the name of a
> >> domain you think you have configered on it, I'll test them for you.
> >>
> >> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 9712113-5B1C-4AA3-BA19-9270B349103E@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:59:43 PM

Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly not
open from here.

try

nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1

assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1

This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either your
forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
itself and continue to surf?

>> your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
>> enabling to listen on all interfaces
> I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for
> every
> domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?
>
> and check your router forwarding
>> Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
> I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.
>
>>it has
>> firewalled it
>> Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service
>> ports,
>> though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
> I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL
>
> can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 10:59:44 PM

I just found this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263

What do you think?

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly not
> open from here.
>
> try
>
> nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
>
> assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
>
> This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either your
> forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
> gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
> server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
> Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
> itself and continue to surf?
>

> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> your dns server is not running on the private IP you thought it was. Try
> >> enabling to listen on all interfaces
> > I think it is enabled since it's running. I have created forwards for
> > every
> > domain that I wish to host on this server. How can I check this?
> >
> > and check your router forwarding
> >> Your router is not forwarding port 53 to your server (udp and tcp) or
> > I can see port 53 UDP and TCP enabled just how SMTP and HTTP are enabled.
> >
> >>it has
> >> firewalled it
> >> Your ISP has blocked port 53. Somtimes ISP's block incomming service
> >> ports,
> >> though it's more comming on 25 and 80.
> > I am not sure about this. I am running ADSL
> >
> > can we communicate via email? (feshang@gmail.com)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:13:08 PM

I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.

>I just found this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
>
> What do you think?
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly
>> not
>> open from here.
>>
>> try
>>
>> nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
>>
>> assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
>>
>> This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either
>> your
>> forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
>> gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
>> server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming queries.
>> Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns server
>> itself and continue to surf?
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:13:09 PM

You could also just try following the steps in the article. It should take
about 5 minutes to confirm either way. You can't break anything by
implementing this setting.

"Paul Smith" <pjsmith@microtech.coDOTgg> wrote in message
>I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.
>
> "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just found this article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>>
>>> Sometimes ISP's block incoming services on ADSL lines. It's certainly
>>> not
>>> open from here.
>>>
>>> try
>>>
>>> nslookup yourdomainname.com 192.168.0.1
>>>
>>> assuming your internal dns server is 192.168.0.1
>>>
>>> This should try to query your internal server. If this works, either
>>> your
>>> forwarding is broken or your port is blocked. I take it that you have a
>>> gateway on the server, i.e. can you surf the net without using a proxy
>>> server? You need to make sure the server can reply to incomming
>>> queries.
>>> Are you able to set the tcp ip properties of the server to the dns
>>> server
>>> itself and continue to surf?

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:13:10 PM

I did these but no luck.

I actually noticed port 53 is not saying it is BLOCKED and is saying CLOSED.

DNS 53 CLOSED This port has responded to our probes. This means that you are
not running any application on this port, but it is still possible for
someone to crash your computer through known TCP/IP stack vulnerabilities.

So it is not my firewall.
I also called my ISP and they confirmed all ports are open.

"Jeff Westhead [MSFT]" wrote:

> You could also just try following the steps in the article. It should take
> about 5 minutes to confirm either way. You can't break anything by
> implementing this setting.
>
> "Paul Smith" <pjsmith@microtech.coDOTgg> wrote in message
> >I guess it's possible. Drop your ISP a line and ask them.
> >
> > "Mike R." <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I just found this article:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263
> >>
> >> What do you think?

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:54:52 AM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
<MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like to host
>them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to create my own DNS(s)
>and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am I correct? What would be the
>best solution on assigning my public IPs to DNS(s)?
>
>Here is my hardware/software configuration:
>I’m running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
>firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my public IP
>which is directing the traffics to my server which has a private IP.
>
>I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you think
>the problem is the version of software that I am using or maybe I have to
>assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe I should not use SBS? My
>limited knowledge is limiting me so I don’t really know where the problem is
>and how I can fix it. Or maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft
>Server?

SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:

DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm

Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/commu...

Might help to know the version of SBS.

Jeff
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:54:53 AM

In news:416f6c00.1015669124@msnews.microsoft.com,
Jeff Cochran <jeff.nospam@zina.com> made a post then I commented below
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
> <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like
>> to host them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to
>> create my own DNS(s) and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am
>> I correct? What would be the best solution on assigning my public
>> IPs to DNS(s)?
>>
>> Here is my hardware/software configuration:
>> Iâ?Tm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
>> firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my
>> public IP which is directing the traffics to my server which has a
>> private IP.
>>
>> I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
>> think the problem is the version of software that I am using or
>> maybe I have to assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe
>> I should not use SBS? My limited knowledge is limiting me so I
>> donâ?Tt really know where the problem is and how I can fix it. Or
>> maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft Server?
>
> SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
> allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
> some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:
>
> DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
> http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm
>
> Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/commu...
>
> Might help to know the version of SBS.
>
> Jeff

I was just thinking the same thing, Jeff. If ISA is running, a rule needs to
be created and applied to allow DNS traffic inbound and outbound. Hence why
I believe it's currently showing up as 'closed' in the tests.

Maybe this may help, but not sure about the subtle differences with SBS:

Running a DNS Server on an ISA Server:
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Running_a_DNS_Server_...

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous

I fixed the issue,

The problem was the DNS Interfaces

I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the Interfaces tab
and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests :)  All my sites are
working now.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:416f6c00.1015669124@msnews.microsoft.com,
> Jeff Cochran <jeff.nospam@zina.com> made a post then I commented below
> > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:23:02 -0700, "Mike R."
> > <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have some domain names (example mycompany.com) which I would like
> >> to host them on my server. I think the best way to do this is to
> >> create my own DNS(s) and put those DNS(s) on those domain names. Am
> >> I correct? What would be the best solution on assigning my public
> >> IPs to DNS(s)?
> >>
> >> Here is my hardware/software configuration:
> >> Iâ?Tm running SBS 2003 Premium without ISA but I have a hardware
> >> firewall/router between internet and server. The firewall has my
> >> public IP which is directing the traffics to my server which has a
> >> private IP.
> >>
> >> I tried to host my own DNS(s) but no success with my SBS box. Do you
> >> think the problem is the version of software that I am using or
> >> maybe I have to assign my public ip right on my external NIC? Maybe
> >> I should not use SBS? My limited knowledge is limiting me so I
> >> donâ?Tt really know where the problem is and how I can fix it. Or
> >> maybe I have to get different version of Microsoft Server?
> >
> > SBS works fine. If you have ISA running, you need to configure it to
> > allow DNS. Might check the SBS group for specifics since there are
> > some peculiarities to SBS. Beyond that:
> >
> > DNS Basics for IIS Administrators:
> > http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm
> >
> > Domain Name System (DNS) Center Knowledge Base Articles:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/commu...
> >
> > Might help to know the version of SBS.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> I was just thinking the same thing, Jeff. If ISA is running, a rule needs to
> be created and applied to allow DNS traffic inbound and outbound. Hence why
> I believe it's currently showing up as 'closed' in the tests.
>
> Maybe this may help, but not sure about the subtle differences with SBS:
>
> Running a DNS Server on an ISA Server:
> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/Running_a_DNS_Server_...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:42:44 PM

In news:19BC3199-C710-4B00-9F74-EDA8108BE7B5@microsoft.com,
Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> I fixed the issue,
>
> The problem was the DNS Interfaces
>
> I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the
> Interfaces tab and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests
> :)  All my sites are working now.

Ah yes, I *assumed* it was listening on the external interface. I should
have asked... :-)

Ace
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:42:45 PM

Ace,

Quick question:

Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?

Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's the way
of forwarding it.

Can you please adivce me?

Thanks,

Mike

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:19BC3199-C710-4B00-9F74-EDA8108BE7B5@microsoft.com,
> Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> > I fixed the issue,
> >
> > The problem was the DNS Interfaces
> >
> > I went to DNS properties and added my external NIC ip to the
> > Interfaces tab and now port 53 is listenning to the incoming requests
> > :)  All my sites are working now.
>
> Ah yes, I *assumed* it was listening on the external interface. I should
> have asked... :-)
>
> Ace

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:27:28 PM

In news:A896BDBE-0E08-4678-ACC3-20B8458B395F@microsoft.com,
Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Ace,
>
> Quick question:
>
> Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
> To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?
>
> Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's
> the way of forwarding it.
>
> Can you please adivce me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Thats another good question. If you point to the external NIC, then the
internal folks cannot get to it, since that's the purpose of what you're
doing. This is a true example of needing a separate DNS to host your
external records for running an internal webserver for public use, since the
internal folks need to get to it too.

Ace
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:27:29 PM

Since this is the only hardware that I have at this moment, what would be the
best way of pointing the Host? I am planning of setting up my second box
sometimes next month but meanwhile I would like to run everything from this
box.

Thanks,

Mike

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:A896BDBE-0E08-4678-ACC3-20B8458B395F@microsoft.com,
> Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> > Ace,
> >
> > Quick question:
> >
> > Under Forward Lookup Zones where should Host (A) name point to?
> > To Local NIC IP or External NIC IP or Public IP or Router IP?
> >
> > Currently it's pointing to my Public IP and I don't know if that's
> > the way of forwarding it.
> >
> > Can you please adivce me?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Thats another good question. If you point to the external NIC, then the
> internal folks cannot get to it, since that's the purpose of what you're
> doing. This is a true example of needing a separate DNS to host your
> external records for running an internal webserver for public use, since the
> internal folks need to get to it too.
>
> Ace

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:43:24 PM

In news:C31E3668-A0ED-46C7-9EDF-914C2589264C@microsoft.com,
Mike R. <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Since this is the only hardware that I have at this moment, what
> would be the best way of pointing the Host? I am planning of setting
> up my second box sometimes next month but meanwhile I would like to
> run everything from this box.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I guess your priority will be to your external Internet users. I would, if
that is the priority, to use the external address. You need tro make the
call on that one.

BUT... If you are getting another server, there's a NAT limitation that it
will only listen and forward to one port per IP. If the ISA is doing the
external stuff, you won;t be able to forward port 53 to your new internal
DNS. Unless of course, you use the ISA's DNS to handle external queries
only, and setup the internal DNS for your AD use and internal clients only.
On that server, you would create the www record and give it the private
address.

-- Ace
!