Does the P180 have a speaker connection for the mobo?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Like the thing that goes onto the motherboard along with PWR SW, RESET SW etc?

I cant seem to find one in my P180 8O

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Holcar, what's up?
When you say "Does the P180 have a speaker connection for the mobo" do you mean does the Case have an internal speaker so you hear the post beeps? Or do you mean you want to connect external speakers to your mobo?

Mike

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I mean the post beeps, cant seem to find the speaker thing for it...

Also... any tips for getting my DVD RW drive unstuck? I mounted the drive rails and slit it in with a bit of effort and now it's stuck and wont fit snug in the case either...

I got those pics of the 180 you sent by the way, sorry for not getting back to you. Nice job of the wiring, shame mines looks complete and utter crap at the moment :p

Not loving the P180 case at the moment though... No speaker connection, DVD RW got stuck 8O , also managed to pull the clips off the top exhaust grill, it still sits there though. (That was my fault though :oops: )

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
There IS NO internal speaker for the case....that's why they call it "the silent case" :wink:

However I'm sure you can mod a speaker in there if you want. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't give a damn to hear that annoying crap while I wait to delve into gamer's paradise.
My previous comps had that speaker and I found it a real PITA :evil:

But now I must say it sure is nice NOT to hear those beeps. Look at it this way, as long as your rig wakes up and gets you KNEE DEEP IN F E A R (the FPS game if your into that).....your already in paradise my friend.

As for your dvd rom. Take a good look inside to make sure you did not push it in too far. Sometimes the guide rails (that are attached on your dvd rom) are a bit tight for the area they slide into. One other possibility is that when you mounted to rails on your rom, you did NOT put them in the EXACT same mount holes. The reason I say this is because I have 2 ROMS and I remember when I was installing them, I made sure the holes were exactly in the same place and they went in with no problems. And when it was in place, I heard a little "click" that tells me that it was locked in place. If you still have probs getting it out. PM me and I'll take a closer look at my setup again and see if I can give you another course of action.
Mike

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
DVD drive is stuck, seems to be the left handside drive rail (the one that you get no access to) is jammed.

By left hand I mean if the case were stood vertical and you looked at it from the front.

Any ideas?

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Yes I know what you mean. What you need to do is find a thin small screwdriver and feed it in through the back. It sounds like the part of the rail that "locks" the drive in place might be stuck back there. Just be careful when you poke around back there and make sure you GROUND yourself when you use the screw driver in case of static discharge. Also unplug your rig too.

If your STILL stuck, remove the side panel that has no access and you may just be able to see where the jam is and it would give you a bit more elbow room.
Lemme know what happens.....and good luck :wink:

You can get a mini speaker that you connect to your motherboard, if you call Antec or search the internet. It not connected to the case. It is a beeper with two wires connected to the motherboard.
Works fine.
Or you could remove a beeper from an old computer case.
Some sound cards allow you to route the speaker beeps to the sound card
instead.
Thanks.

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
apparantly the metal bit on the drive rail points FORWARD :oops:

slides in and out like a charm :) Was a PAIN getting it out after sliding it in with the rails backwrds though, hope DVD didnt get too bashed up.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
LMFAO holcar your AWSOME :lol:

I'm glad you got it figured out man. Tell me.......what time of the night were you putting it together ??? :p

Trust me bro, you'll like that case. It's got lots of room, and with the case clear of wires, it keeps your hardware nice n cool.

Up here in Ottawa Canada about 3 weeks ago, we had a hot spell where the temps got up to 45 degrees Celcius. And I don't have air in my office where my rig is. But I would game for about 2 hours straight playing FEAR and the cards never got higher than 71 D Celcius. However I was sweating like a pig so I had to put a towel on my chair. :roll:
ciau man.
Mike

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
it was at like 2 in the morning in a rush :p Besides... manuals are for wuss's anyway =/...

Do you use the third optional fan? I got mine in the upper HDD cage, even though theres no HDD there I think it can help keep the vga card cooler? I believe it can be mounted to the lower HDD cage aswel, but I dont see how this can be done, could you elaborate?

Also noitced on your rig you use the optional asus mobo exhaust. Does this reduce temps at all? Apparantly asus claims that if its not used with a passive or water cooled system then it can actually reduce the heatsinks ability to cool the CPU. Maybe try some tests?

Also on your Seasonic PSU where do you have the fan facing? Mines faces the side of the case which I'd imagine I might want to reconsider as it may restrict airflow? Is it exhaust or intake? I supose if its exhasut it shouldnt matter too much.

Cheers

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey H,
I do have an extra 120cm fan that is mounted in the upper chamber. I ALSO don't have any hdd's there. I modded my wires so when I open the side case, there is NOTHING in the path of the vid cards. I have the hdds in the bottom cage for heat dispersion. AT first I put them there because I wanted to make my case more quiet, but when my rig is purring, I put my ear to the drives and I can't hear anything. I DO KNOW that the maxtors get hot when there working so I would rather the bottom air get flushed out the back through the PSU fan.

I have a 120cm fan on the roof, one at the the back, one in front of the empty hdd cage, and one in the bottom chamber halfway between the hdd's and PSU. This way it sucks the heat away from the drives, and the PSU fan helps push it out the back.

I use the optional mobo fan near the CPU cuz it helps cool the rad that dissipates the heat from the north and south bridge. Because the heat rises, it travels through the heat pipes, and up to that rad. DAMN WHAT A NICE SET OF COPPER PIPES THEY ARE 8) (chuckles maniacally). When I brought my rig in for a check up on other issues, the tech suggested I use it given the vga and mobo temps. Believe me I don't even hear it.

I think if you want to add a fan in front of the lower cage compartment, you will have to mod the shroud due to lack of space. However, I really don't think you would need it because the mid compartment fan takes care o that. :wink:

When you mention the PSU fan direction, you mentioned yours is facing the side. How can that be ? If you have the S12 600watt, then the fan is either at the top or the bottom depending how you install it. I put mine in facing the up because there is more breathing room there. take a look at your case and you'll see what I mean. And the fan acts as an EXHAUST. If you think about it, the PSU gets hot like a car's motor so it needs an exhaust to get rid of the heat right.

If ya got more questions fire away and I'll get back to ya.

cya
MIke