Sign in with
Your question

Average CPU Temperatures

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2006 10:05:28 AM

I was recently interested to see the Temperature levels of my old, but still very capable, Northwood 2.8GHz and I was surprised to see the low average Temperature...

I mean, hearing the critisism against intel about the Pentium 4 these last two years, i was left with the impression these chips should really be hot.

Anyway, just for comparison purposes, I get around 26°C average and under heavy load a maximum of 38°C. I am using a stock intel cooler running with ASUS Q-FAN set at 11/16 (pretty quiet at these speeds, unlike Athlon stock coolers I've heard) aka. 1962rpm.

The chipset is always running hotter, around 6°C more average and 2°C under load. But this I expected, because it only has a heatsink, no fan.

Btw, I am running on an ASUS P4P800-SE.

So what are your numbers?

More about : average cpu temperatures

August 16, 2006 10:14:59 AM

Quote:
I was recently interested to see the Temperature levels of my old, but still very capable, Northwood 2.8GHz and I was surprised to see the low average Temperature...

I mean, hearing the critisism against intel about the Pentium 4 these last two years, i was left with the impression these chips should really be hot.

Anyway, just for comparison purposes, I get around 26°C average and under heavy load a maximum of 38°C. I am using a stock intel cooler running with ASUS Q-FAN set at 11/16 (pretty quiet at these speeds, unlike Athlon stock coolers I've heard) aka. 1962rpm.

The chipset is always running hotter, around 6°C more average and 2°C under load. But this I expected, because it only has a heatsink, no fan.

Heat wasn't an issue until Prescott came along. I had similar temps on my 3.0C, and i have a 2.4C@2916 currently and it also jives with your numbers.
August 16, 2006 12:36:09 PM

Quote:

These are the temps from my old P4 2.8 witha Coolermaster Hyper6 on it

Your temps are nothing to worry about.
Related resources
August 16, 2006 1:59:04 PM

Quote:

These are very good temps but it may also be a faulty sensor (especially if you don't have another fan blowing out of your case); confirm them by touching the heatsink. My celeron of 2GHz (Northwood) used to run around 35-36°C idle.
August 16, 2006 3:36:11 PM

I'm on an older Asus board, P4PE, 2.66-533, OC to 2.940 atm (having problems now @ 2.960, Prime95 not stable). I think the vcore on mine gets high, if its reading is correct. 1.6-1.78 Jumps allot. I'm still thinking of dropping a P4 3.0c later on.

My Northy seems to run abit hotter then any of these above posted readings:

Room temp 80-82F
Average Idle is 44C
Load 55C.

Lower Room temps 70F
Idle is 38-39C
load 47-48C

I am going to mod my 7700CU fan, since I'm a lil bored. :lol: 

The Zalmans 120m fan's CFM is around 30. I'll be waiting on my FM121(CFM110) fan, should be here tommorow.

Might post up the mod later on, if its worth it.
August 16, 2006 6:03:31 PM

Quote:
These are very good temps but it may also be a faulty sensor (especially if you don't have another fan blowing out of your case); confirm them by touching the heatsink. My celeron of 2GHz (Northwood) used to run around 35-36°C idle.

Well, I did add two fans in my case last week, but it has hardly changed the readings. I have a Chieftec Dragon Tower, which is quite big and has numerous openings for fabs on the rear. So even without the extra fans, it never felt hotter inside the case than the room temperature.

If I disable the CPU fan, the temperatures may rise upto 70°C and then the system automatically shuts down. If 70 is the maximum allowed, then the readings should be correct.
August 16, 2006 6:22:05 PM

DON'T DO THAT. Disabling the fan is too much of temp. difference. I said just to touch the heatsink: Shut the PC down with covers open and imediately after that touch the heatsink fins: If you don't notice that they're any hotter than your bodu the reading is OK, If they're body temp (you barely feel the heat) it's around 37-38°C. If like somebody with fever it's around 40, got the concept :wink:
August 16, 2006 6:26:58 PM

Using the word "if/may" sound like guessing.

I did read an article comparing Northwood with Prescotts throttling feature by shutting off the fan, and just running full load on the HS.

On that test, Northwoods end up getting around 92-98C, if I remember correctly, which tripped the thermal switch, shutting the PC off.

But just keep in mind that all MB's will not accurately report temps. I'd say close to it, but not exact.

Edit:

Though it was based on 3.2 Ghz cores:

Testing Thermal Throttling
August 16, 2006 9:42:20 PM

Quote:
I'm on an older Asus board, P4PE, 2.66-533, OC to 2.940 atm (having problems now @ 2.960, Prime95 not stable). I think the vcore on mine gets high, if its reading is correct. 1.6-1.78 Jumps allot. I'm still thinking of dropping a P4 3.0c later on.

It looks like some Asus boards are really crap; mine runs all S939 single cores @ 1.50V just to include the older Manchester cores of 1.50V. So my venice 3000+ runs with 0.10-0.15V more than it should, this translates in 3-4°C added to load temps (I get the lower temps with vcore controled by CrystalCPUID).
August 17, 2006 12:00:10 AM

Hmm
a c 102 à CPUs
August 17, 2006 2:19:53 AM

Desktop
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
HSF Speed: 2550 rpm (70%)
Ambient temp 20 C
Idle (1.0 GHz): 25 C
Idle (2.2 GHz): 29-32 C
Full load one core: 39-40 C
Full load both cores: 42-44 C
Maximum observed temp: 46 C

Laptop
Mobile Pentium 4-M 2.20 GHz
HSF trips: 55 C = off, 65 C = fan on 75 C = fan on higher
Ambient temp 20 C
Idle (1.2 GHz): reaches 65 C from cold in ~30 min, fan cycles on once for a minute every 5-6 hours
Idle (2.2 GHz): fan cycles on every ~30 min for a minute
Full load: 66-72 C, fan on constantly
Maximum observed temp: 80 C

That's what my chips run.

EDIT: The voltage on the X2 is 1.10V @ 1.0 GHz, 1.35V @ 2.20 GHz, and on the P4-M it is 1.20 V @ 1.2 GHz, 1.30 V @ 2.20 GHz. Both chips run stock.
August 17, 2006 4:30:56 AM

Quote:

It looks like some Asus boards are really crap; mine runs all S939 single cores @ 1.50V just to include the older Manchester cores of 1.50V. So my venice 3000+ runs with 0.10-0.15V more than it should, this translates in 3-4°C added to load temps (I get the lower temps with vcore controled by CrystalCPUID).

Umm.. my P4 requires stock 1.525v. To run it stable OC, I need to raise it to 1.675v for 2.960. Anyhoo.. found out why it was not stable.

Seems I forgot I was trying for 3.1Ghz. The sound card wasn't coming up at that point. So I remember I changed the AGP/PCI frequency to 66mhz. That fixed the sound card problem, but it would freeze up on 3.1Ghz OC.

After all that time I forgot to switch it back to auto. Now it runs stable at 2.960Ghz again. Actually now I run it 1.650v @ 2.940Ghz. Thought screw the extra 20mhz and .025 volts.
August 17, 2006 4:52:23 AM

I have a pentium d 940 on a 975 xbx mb. I have a heating problem too, idle temp is 64 deg c and load can get to 80 deg c. I called Intel, not much help, I did all the checks and upgrades,etc..

I was told to check the amount of thermal grease I used. I did and found out I had way too much. I was told to put only a spot the size of two grains of rice. I did and it now runs at 50 deg c.. I think that is still too hot, but it sure seems to run better.

I may try a new heatsink/fan, using the old Pentium 4 fan now.

So be sure not to over do the thermal grease..gw
August 17, 2006 5:24:21 AM

26C but you did not say what the room temp was.

I used to run my Optron 146 (OC to 3Ghz) on air with a Thermalright SI-120 in a Coolermaster case with 2C over room temps (idle) and 4-5C while under benchmarking/burn in testing for about an hour.

About a week ago I installed another 300GB drive and all the temps went up 1C.

I know the rest of you are talking about Intel but thats not the point here as others with my CPU and OC have higher temps.

The point is that with the correct airflow you can run close to room temps and that does not mean a handfull of fans.

I set up my case to bring cool air in,over the cooler and out the back all in the same path so as to not have warm air swirling about like a tornado inside of it....just 2 fans.
The PSU (PC P&C 510) is not being used as a case cooler so the air out of it is about 1C over room temps. I used posterboard and duct tape to feed it air from the blowhole on top of the case (turned the small fan on top around).
August 17, 2006 8:49:29 AM

I have a P4 @ 3GHz (Northwood) with boxed cooler. These are my temps :

Idle : 40 C
Full Load : 58 C
August 17, 2006 9:02:36 AM

Quote:
Umm.. my P4 requires stock 1.525v. To run it stable OC, I need to raise it to 1.675v for 2.960. Anyhoo.. found out why it was not stable.

I don't have that problem with mine: from 1.80GHz to 2.05GHz it runs rock stable even undervolted (with 1.30V instead of the minimal 1.35). The Venice is a great core, almost brought a new era in OC-ing, where you can have 20-30%+ on stock. You do it and are 100% sure it won't do a scratch to your CPU.
August 17, 2006 9:35:06 AM

hey this is my first post....

anyway i got myself a northwood 2.66 533fsb as well and i got it up to 3.2ghz sweet. only needed a 5% voltage increase and rean prime 95 for 8 hrs no probs. if u want to oc this cpu further might try goin into the bio and lowering the timings of ur ram coz that mite be the limiting factor. But i hit a wall when trying to do 3.3ghz with resets and lockups..

Oh im also using a thermalright xp 90 on a gigabyte GA-8S655FX-L as well
temps are: 26c idle
53c full load max
August 17, 2006 9:57:39 AM

Well i have to be the king of (reported) temps :) 
i have a p4 nortwood @ 2.0 ghz.Some time ago i was O/C him @ 2.6 but one day i noticed something !
cpu tmep 110c at the bios
i was like WTF!!!!
I gues i must have burned the thermistor some how :p 
No o/c for him anymore.He runs at 2.0 ghz still reporting 110c.

PS
Sisoft sandra was reporting 70c.
This story is true and thus i recomend not o/c over 25% of the stock speed
August 17, 2006 10:36:23 AM

Quote:

anyway i got myself a northwood 2.66 533fsb as well and i got it up to 3.2ghz sweet. only needed a 5% voltage increase and rean prime 95 for 8 hrs no probs. if u want to oc this cpu further might try goin into the bio and lowering the timings of ur ram coz that mite be the limiting factor. But i hit a wall when trying to do 3.3ghz with resets and lockups..

53c full load max

True that the Northwood is also a good OC-er, almost 600MHz, however not as good as the 3 year newer venice 3.2GHz is still 20% over 2.66 while the "normal" 2.6GHz of a 3000+ is almost 45% over the stock 1.8GHz. Stable up to 2.9GHz, it's been the overclockers' toy, we'll see what Conroe gives.
August 17, 2006 10:36:47 AM

:?: lol mite jsut be a isolated incident? well anyway i wouldnt as well if im u, i just wanas squeeze every last drop out of my comp b4 i have to upgrade which im planning in dec on early next yr. U can oc it more than 25% its just that u need adequate cooling atleast if u want ur cpu to c the next day. btw how many ppl r stil using agp? as not many 478 socket motherboards have pci x..
August 17, 2006 10:42:32 AM

Quote:
Well i have to be the king of (reported) temps :) 
i have a p4 nortwood @ 2.0 ghz.Some time ago i was O/C him @ 2.6 but one day i noticed something !
cpu tmep 110c at the bios
i was like WTF!!!!
I gues i must have burned the thermistor some how :p 
No o/c for him anymore.He runs at 2.0 ghz still reporting 110c.

PS
Sisoft sandra was reporting 70c.
This story is true and thus i recomend not o/c over 25% of the stock speed

Your temps might have been OK even on 2.66GHz;OC and check them by touching the heatsink (after shutdown). Your sensor should have been wrong because any prolonged state (1min+) of 110°C would heve already killed it, 100%.
I know that at least 2GHz celerons OC perfectly to 2.66 on stock cooling (FSB sent from 400 to 533MHz).
August 17, 2006 3:16:47 PM

Quote:

I don't have that problem with mine: from 1.80GHz to 2.05GHz it runs rock stable even undervolted (with 1.30V instead of the minimal 1.35). The Venice is a great core, almost brought a new era in OC-ing, where you can have 20-30%+ on stock. You do it and are 100% sure it won't do a scratch to your CPU.

Not really understanding why your explaining that to me. Okay, its nice that you can undervolt and still run stable at 1.8-2.05Ghz. But doesn't that have cool n quiet, which allows lower voltage?

I guess the only real benefit I'd get from that core, is if the power went out, and I was left to run on my UPS.
August 17, 2006 3:21:31 PM

Quote:

53c full load max

Interesting... So your in New Zealand (kinda cold there?)? Must have good room temps then. Well I knew my wall was at 3.2ghz. Just didn't want to fiddle around too much more, even though I thought I'd perhaps go to a P4 2.8c or 3.0c sooner or later.

I'm going to improve this box as much as I can to make it my future linux box, and perhaps build a conroe or AM2 machine for XP to Vista later on.
August 17, 2006 9:30:08 PM

Quote:

I guess the only real benefit I'd get from that core, is if the power went out, and I was left to run on my UPS.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  That was good! Talking seriously, it really makes few difference; the whole desktop PC is not optimised for that so you get almost no extra time.
However, I said it because I like knowing that the CPU runs cooler, near to ambient temperature. I just tried it @ 1.20V, hard rendering session: ultra stable and 5-6°Ccooler than 1.50V.
August 18, 2006 12:12:24 AM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  That was good! Talking seriously, it really makes few difference; the whole desktop PC is not optimised for that so you get almost no extra time.
However, I said it because I like knowing that the CPU runs cooler, near to ambient temperature. I just tried it @ 1.20V, hard rendering session: ultra stable and 5-6°Ccooler than 1.50V.

Heh, I was actually kinda serious about UPS time.

When I was talking about stable, I ment passing Prime95 torture tests.

How are you sure that it stays at 1.20 vcore under stress? I see your into rendering. Does it pass Prime95 (6 hours seesion) when undervolting it that low? I would guess it would.

I'm not exactly sure how low my voltage would go (bios only go to its lowest at 1.525v), if I underclock my P4 to 1.8 or 2.0 Ghz. But I'm pretty sure my temps would be lower then running stock 2.66 Ghz.

Edit: Doh.. the lowest Ghz I can go is.. 2Ghz. My mulitplier is locked at 20. :lol: 
August 18, 2006 7:17:45 AM

ahh very true, but keep in mind once u get a pc, u usually stick to it if your the average joe who's always $2 short of change. Was very tempted to go down the amd path a while back but seems theres always something making you wait for bigger and better things around the corner. it seems to drag into a vicious cycle where holding off until the next new fab comes.

i got my p4 to 3.280ghz on +7.5% voltage stable on prime for 6 hrs but i dont think theres much more i can squeeze out of it.

And yes NZ is kinda chilly but you guys in the US get the newer components faster and much cheaper than what i get down here, closest thing we get to newegg is this www.pricespy.co.nz

you guys will prolly think wtf gettin ripped hard but hey what i can do?

Grimmy i dont think buying a 2.8 or 3.0ghz is such a good investment, id much rather save up a bit more coinage and get something a bit newer....
August 18, 2006 7:29:04 AM

That's true, but when lights go out where I work (they often do), the most importatn thing to preserve battery life until a CD is burned is turning off the monitor. :D 
I guess 2 hours of rendering is kind of torture itself : CPU works 100% all the time. It's not surprising, since Energy Efficient Athlons are just carefully selected, normal cores I think.
August 18, 2006 7:35:39 AM

Quote:
ahh very true, but keep in mind once u get a pc, u usually stick to it if your the average joe who's always $2 short of change. Was very tempted to go down the amd path a while back but seems theres always something making you wait for bigger and better things around the corner. it seems to drag into a vicious cycle where holding off until the next new fab comes.

i got my p4 to 3.280ghz on +7.5% voltage stable on prime for 6 hrs but i dont think theres much more i can squeeze out of it.

And yes NZ is kinda chilly but you guys in the US get the newer components faster and much cheaper than what i get down here, closest thing we get to newegg is this www.pricespy.co.nz

you guys will prolly think wtf gettin ripped hard but hey what i can do?

Grimmy i dont think buying a 2.8 or 3.0ghz is such a good investment, id much rather save up a bit more coinage and get something a bit newer....

:lol:  You're right, but as for me, I live very far from the US and only got my 3000+ when a friend of mine came back from the US. And of course prices are very elusive: I got it for $110 and 2 months later it had become $65... I was still lucky because where I live you get it no lower than $200, that's crazy.
You're right about Grimmy too; the cheapest reasonable upgrade is S939 3500+ or 3800+ and mombo; They're not much more than an old 3GHz P4 and perform way better with the legacy DDR.
August 18, 2006 6:31:45 PM

Quote:

May not be a good investment in the way your thinking, perhaps.

But to me, I don't mind spending $70 on a 2.8 or $87 on 3.0. I'd like to make this P4 system the best I can before really abandoning it. It will replace my other older systems running linux, which will basically become an empty shell.

Besides that, I wouldn't mind getting away from my current 533 bus, and going to the 800 bus CPU.

I'm pretty patient, and curious to see what happens next year, rather then jumping on Conroe or lower price AM2 systems, as well as seeing what happens when Vista hits the market.
August 18, 2006 9:00:59 PM

If you don't mind spending $87 on a p4 then add just $20 more to get a 939 3000+ and MX mombo;something at least 10% better than a 3GHz P4 an overclockable around 30% just on stock (while you know you won't squeeze much out of a 3.06GHz P4). This is the best upgrade you can do IMO; I did it and it worked just great.
August 18, 2006 9:27:13 PM

Again, I'd rather make the best of what I have. Its not exactly a gaming rig, and will be converted to linux later on down the road.

The CPU charts shows me the 3Ghz Northwood core still wins the majority of the benchmarks there, comparing it to the Ven 3000+.

CPU Chart

And besides, its easier just to plop out the CPU (maybe reconfigure XP for HT), rather then buy another CPU/MB, and totally reinstall windows. I would rather just rebuild another C2D or AM2 dual core if I wanted to do that much work. :lol: 

My system has has been running its current windows from day I built it.
August 19, 2006 8:34:26 AM

Your motherboard chipset should support HT, does it. I have both of them; the 3000+ home and the 3.0 @ work and the P4 gets leading edge only with hyperthreading. I have benchmarked them myself on 3DS Max and a 3.0 without HT is no better than the 3000+. Moreover, if you make it work 64bit, you're still head to head with HT.
But you easily get a 3800+ out of the 3000+ on stock cooling and voltage. If I am not wrong you like OC-ing and from that point of view you wil have much more fun with a 3000+ ; People run it up to 2.8G on air cooling, I sent mine to ~2.4 stock. The choice is yours, but IMO, you'll enjoy a 3000+ much more than a 3.0 northwood :wink:
August 19, 2006 8:48:59 AM

hehe will you join the dark side? woulda coulda shoulda... ive been using my cpu for 4 years now and its still cruising along alright. maybe i can stretch it to 5 or 6 if im lucky. If your goin to buy an amd you have to get teh motherboard as well, while if grimmy sticks to intel he will still save on buying more new parts than he should. I wish i had HT on my cpu...
August 19, 2006 9:03:20 AM

If memory serves:

The 800Mhz FSB P4 3.0, or known as P4 3.0c. Which has HT enabled.

That is what I was refering to, which my Asus P4PE supports.

The CPU I have now 533Mhz P4 2.66, or known as P4 2.66b. Which is Non-HT, or has been disabled.

I'd rather go with P4 3.0, since I'm keeping it, pretty much a simple forward upgrade. If I'm going to totally rebuild a system, why stop on a 3000+ and 939 MB?
August 19, 2006 10:39:13 AM

You're not rebuilding the system, just adding the motherboard. However, if you like the 3.0 go for it; still decent stuff but too hot for my taste. :D 
Talking about builds... I am looking around to find a 1.2 GHz Duron, looks hard to find even a used one where I live.
August 19, 2006 10:56:32 AM

does any1 know how to lower the RAM timings without going into the bios? Because ive been looking high and low for this but seems my bios doesnt support that. Also my comps idling times have risen to round 34 with 70% load all the time any clues on whats goin on after i oc it, im running it at stock speeds btw.. hope i didnt fry any sensors or anything tho it didnt c past 55c anyway.
August 19, 2006 5:09:59 PM

Quote:
You're not rebuilding the system, just adding the motherboard. However, if you like the 3.0 go for it; still decent stuff but too hot for my taste. :D 
Talking about builds... I am looking around to find a 1.2 GHz Duron, looks hard to find even a used one where I live.

So... you don't consider it a rebuild? What.. just take all my parts out, put the new MB in with the CPU/HSF, and puting all the wires, cards back into my case and expect my XP to work?

Duron? Why? Why don't you get an AM2 system, if your so much into AMD?

Quote:
does any1 know how to lower the RAM timings without going into the bios? Because ive been looking high and low for this but seems my bios doesnt support that. Also my comps idling times have risen to round 34 with 70% load all the time any clues on whats goin on after i oc it, im running it at stock speeds btw.. hope i didnt fry any sensors or anything tho it didnt c past 55c anyway.

In order to change RAM timings, the system does need a reboot, so your going to have to go into the bios. I haven't seen an app that could change RAM timings, and if there was, it prolly froze the system up, if it did it on the fly.

If you have a load during idle time, then you may have a program schedules to do a scan, or getting updates. Or you could have spy/spamware running in the background, or trojan virus. Might wanna look up Spybot Search & Destroy, and other freeware programs that help remove it.

As far as temps, you haven't said what processor you run. I'd only be alarmed if the temps got at 80-90+C
August 19, 2006 5:26:49 PM

Quote:
So... you don't consider it a rebuild? What.. just take all my parts out, put the new MB in with the CPU/HSF, and puting all the wires, cards back into my case and expect my XP to work?

...and XP reinstall; it takes just 2-3 hours reinstalling everything.

Quote:

Duron? Why? Why don't you get an AM2 system, if your so much into AMD?

I had a 2GHz celeron before the current A64 3000+; I just go for a good price/performance. However, the 1.1-1.2 GHz Duron is the one I admire the most and I want to have a system with that CPU.
August 19, 2006 5:48:43 PM

Heh.. so the only difference I see, that it not part of a rebuild, is the PC case itself? I see we have a different understanding as far as what we consider as rebuilds.

Just to plop in another P4 with HT isn't going to require me a new OS installation, I would assume.

I do however run Home Edition. It does require you to activate it, or it will shut down after 30 days, if I remember correctly. That has been so long ago.. geesh.

The other problem is, after 3 installs, I may need to call MS to get another activation number, again going by what I remember. I haven't ran into that problem, yet, not sure if it is still valid thing. The P4 system is my 2nd rebuild for that OS installation. That is one reason why I have been careful not having to reinstall windows.

Well, I never did like celerons all that much, though I never worked on a Duron system. I like saving money myself, but to get into lower end CPUs isn't something I'd want to get into or keep. I guess I'm more of a mid range CPU buyer. :lol: 
August 19, 2006 7:08:16 PM

Quote:

Well, I never did like celerons all that much, though I never worked on a Duron system. I like saving money myself, but to get into lower end CPUs isn't something I'd want to get into or keep. I guess I'm more of a mid range CPU buyer. :lol: 

I'd put myself in that range too. For a long time I've been a celeron fan just because they were the only CPUs I could afford, for the rest, I just hate celerons as almost everyone. They're just office CPUs nothing more.
I just want that duron system (morgan core) as a museum piece (and 2-nd PC) because that thing for me is THE BEST CPU ever built, always dreamed one since they got out: Tiny L2 made it cheap but the 200MHz bus put it head to head (sometimes ahead) with the P3s.
!