Whose Net Logon service registers GC SRV records?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hello,

I was wondering if the Net Logon service of the domain controller that is
the GC does the registering or is it one of the root servers that has its
Net Logon service send the registration for a GC. For example, we have the
following scenario:

child DC becomes a GC

Empty root is updated, but DNS is held on separate W2K server boxes in
workgroup.

Does the child Net Logon send a message to these DC's or does the root do
it?

<-> wrote in message news:eg92BVArEHA.868@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if the Net Logon service of the domain controller that is
> the GC does the registering or is it one of the root servers that has its
> Net Logon service send the registration for a GC. For example, we have
the
> following scenario:

Each DC/GC registers for itself.

> child DC becomes a GC
>
> Empty root is updated, but DNS is held on separate W2K server boxes in
> workgroup.
>
> Does the child Net Logon send a message to these DC's or does the root do
> it?

Child -- or rather EACH DC which is a GC does it's own registration.

Another reason your DNS must be correctly delegated and properly
rooted.

--
Herb Martin

In news:uwBQEmzrEHA.3244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
- <-> made a post then I commented below
> Hello,
>
> Problem resolved. The issue was with an incorrect addition of
> additional suffixes on the registering domain controller. The root
> DNS would not accept its registration.
>
> Thank you all very much for your assistance!

Glad we were helpful!

Ace