Internal DNS name and ISP Domain name

our internal dns name is the same as our fully qualified
domain name (external)

What problems can arise by having them both the same?
And if there are problems what can i do to resolve them?

Thanks,
Greg
1 answer Last reply
More about internal domain name

    In news:236d01c4ad43$03a22ab0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    gkrasnoff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > our internal dns name is the same as our fully qualified
    > domain name (external)
    >
    > What problems can arise by having them both the same?
    > And if there are problems what can i do to resolve them?

    Since all internal clients must use the internal DNS server _only_ in TCP/IP
    properties, and the record needed to access your external website by domain
    name only must point to your DC's internal NIC with file sharing enabled,
    you will not be able to access the external web site by domain name only
    (http://domain.com) and you will have to manually create a record named www
    in the internal zone so you can access the external web site by
    http://www.domain.com The reason the record for the domain name must point
    to DC's internal interface with file sharing is to give access to the SYSVOL
    DFS share at \\domain.com\SYSVOL you cannot alter this behavior. Although,
    you can run IIS on your DCs and have IIS redirect the site to
    http://www.domain.com. Some will recommend against this, but this is the
    only way, and the security risk is limited, because unless you are running
    Exchange with OWA on the DC, only internal users will get the site and will
    be instantly redirected.

    Also you will have problems if you have VPN clients because they see the
    external domain before connecting via the VPN. You will have to create
    entries in your hosts file on the VPN clients for your domain controller's A
    records so as to get the correct IP address for the DC.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Internet Service Providers DNS Domain Name Windows