Crossover between two servers

Hi;
I have two servers running Win2000 Server. Each has 2 NICs, one NIC is
connected to the network, and the other is connected to the other server
through a crossover cable.
Even that I unchecked "Register this connection in DNS" for the crossover
connection, I still get two host records in DNS for one of the servers; first
record for the first NIC, and a second record for the crossover NIC. I tried
to delete the extra record, but it comes back.

For the crossover connections, I am using class B IP addresses, and for the
connection to the network, I am using class A.

Can you please tell me how can I get rid of the extra (crossover) record?
--
Will F.
Network Engineer, MCSE, MCSA

This article explains how to disable the automatic
re-registration of server DNS records by Netlogon on
a DC, which is what you are seeing:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198767

There are other services that may autoregister records, but
this is the primary culprit in most cases.

You also should uncheck "register this connection in DNS" in
the adapter's TCP/IP properties.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Will Fahim" <WillFahim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEA9CAB9-74B4-47AE-A707-9C59F870162F@microsoft.com...
> Hi;
> I have two servers running Win2000 Server. Each has 2 NICs, one NIC is
> connected to the network, and the other is connected to the other server
> through a crossover cable.
> Even that I unchecked "Register this connection in DNS" for the crossover
> connection, I still get two host records in DNS for one of the servers; first
> record for the first NIC, and a second record for the crossover NIC. I tried
> to delete the extra record, but it comes back.
>
> For the crossover connections, I am using class B IP addresses, and for the
> connection to the network, I am using class A.
>
> Can you please tell me how can I get rid of the extra (crossover) record?
> --
> Will F.
> Network Engineer, MCSE, MCSA

Sorry, I may be was not clear.
1) The two servers are SQL Servers, not DCs.
2) I don't want to prevent DNS registrations for every NIC on the server,
just the NIC that is connected through crossover cable to the 2nd server.
3) I already unchecked "register this connection in DNS" in the adapter's
TCP/IP properties, but I still get the extra record.

Please help :)
Thank you

In news:49BE261C-C5E8-46C6-B594-B831D3C83AD3@microsoft.com,
Will Fahim <WillFahim@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Sorry, I may be was not clear.
> 1) The two servers are SQL Servers, not DCs.
> 2) I don't want to prevent DNS registrations for every
> NIC on the server, just the NIC that is connected through
> crossover cable to the 2nd server. 3) I already unchecked
> "register this connection in DNS" in the adapter's TCP/IP
> properties, but I still get the extra record.
>
> Please help :)
> Thank you

On the DNS server properties, interfaces tab, set DNS to listen only on the
IP you want the host record created for.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

This KB article explains the various services that do autoregistration
and how to disable it -- on a per-adapter basis in some cases.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246804

Disabling "register this connection" is not sufficient; there are a number
of services that attempt to auto-register and you need to disable the
behavior for them.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"Will Fahim" <WillFahim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49BE261C-C5E8-46C6-B594-B831D3C83AD3@microsoft.com...
> Sorry, I may be was not clear.
> 1) The two servers are SQL Servers, not DCs.
> 2) I don't want to prevent DNS registrations for every NIC on the server,
> just the NIC that is connected through crossover cable to the 2nd server.
> 3) I already unchecked "register this connection in DNS" in the adapter's
> TCP/IP properties, but I still get the extra record.
>
> Please help :)
> Thank you

Steve, thank you so much, that helped.
In addition;
I found out that if I have the Gateway for the first server as the IP
address of the 2nd server on the crossover connection only, it doesn't
register that connection in DNS.