i9900 Red Skin Tones

Hi All.
I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my i9900,
using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some Computer wrote:

> I will use the Canon i9900 for what I purchased it for, which is not for
> photographs...

What do you intent to use it for?
Frank

One note... I was using HP Phot Glossy Paper. Maybe that is the problem,
perhaps it really does do best on Canon paper.

Some Computer wrote:

>One note... I was using HP Phot Glossy Paper. Maybe that is the problem,
>perhaps it really does do best on Canon paper.

It will also do 98% as well when using Costco/Kirkland paper.

>"Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi All.
>> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my
>>

>i9900,
>

>>using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
>>printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
>>i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
>>this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
>>better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

Same results on Canon paper as well (Just tested it).

> One note... I was using HP Phot Glossy Paper. Maybe that is the problem,
> perhaps it really does do best on Canon paper.
>

> "Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All.
> > I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my
> i9900,
> > using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> > printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on
the
> > i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else
experienced
> > this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would
have
> > better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

The more I read and try Canon products first hand, the more I realize they
are all overpriced garbage. Totally useless.

"Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my
i9900,
> using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
> i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
> this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
> better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

Right now, as a trash can weight.

Frank wrote:

> Some Computer wrote:
>

>> I will use the Canon i9900 for what I purchased it for, which is not for
>> photographs...
>

> What do you intent to use it for?
> Frank

Jerking Off like you stupid.

measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> Some Computer wrote:
>>

>>> I will use the Canon i9900 for what I purchased it for, which is not for
>>> photographs...
>>

>> What do you intent to use it for?
>> Frank
>

> Jerking Off like you stupid.

Sorry but I don't even know what a i9900. I'm so dumb I can't even print
with this ip4000 my mom bought me.
Stupid huh?
measekite

Some Computer wrote:

> Hi All.
> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my i9900,
> using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
> i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
> this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
> better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

I have a different story. I use 3rd party ink on my ip8500. I found Canon OEM's
red is a little more orange than my 3rd party ink. What I printed for comparison
was a color pattern of 8 stripes of BK, C, M, Y, G, R, PC and PM produced by
using Photoshop. I showed the prints to friends and everyone agreed that Canon's
red is a little orange while the 3rd party ink is indeed "RED". Paper used was
Costco's Kirkland brand swiss made glossy paper. Did not try to print on any
Canon paper. So this might have been a case of paper caused difference. May need
custom profile to produce identical colors.

Some Computer wrote:

> One note... I was using HP Phot Glossy Paper. Maybe that is the problem,
> perhaps it really does do best on Canon paper.

It may be indeed the cause of the color difference. It does not mean HP paper
being bad in quality. It is just a different paper that needs a custom ICC profile
to reproduce colors correctly. Canon paper is good only for one reason, being resin
coated. It produces good colors only because it uses a profile specifically made for
it.

Some Computer wrote:

> The more I read and try Canon products first hand, the more I realize they
> are all overpriced garbage. Totally useless.

Absolutely wrong. My ip8500 at $350 is worth every dollar I paid. You may
argue that it is over priced. But it is not totally useless.

Frank wrote:

> Some Computer wrote:
>

>> I will use the Canon i9900 for what I purchased it for, which is not for
>> photographs...
>

> What do you intent to use it for?
> Frank

ip8500 is a photo printer. It is odd to buy a top dog but expect "miao" from it.

"Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my
> i9900,
> using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
> i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
> this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
> better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

I have read your other posts stating same results on both your Canon and HP
papers, so I think we can rule out paper as the possible cause. One thing to
keep in mind is that the Canon Easy Photo Print software prints the picture
using the EXIF Data contained within the image file. This is done to give as
close a representation as possible to what 'the camera' saw based on its
settings when the photo was shot. If your cameras white balance was off a
touch or you were shooting indoors with the outdoor mode this could cause
this. Also in Easy PhotoPrint under the 'Paper Selection' tab remove the
check mark from 'Vivid Photo' if it is there.

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

"Some Computer" <BiteMe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my
> i9900,
> using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
> i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
> this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
> better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

Hi group.

He may be a bit thick in buying a photo printer which he never intended to
use for printing photos.

At least he seems to be using his camera to take photos, but in the long
term, he may have plans to use it for something other than taking photos.

It certainly takes all types to make this world go round, but why do so many
of them ask stupid questions on this group.

Roy G

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Some Computer wrote:

> Hi All.
> I have a great digital photo of a family member. I printed it on my i9900,
> using oem ink and the like, and thought it looked good. However, after
> printing it also at the one hour place, I notice the one I printed on the
> i9900 has way too much red in the skin tones. Has anyone else experienced
> this? I printed it using the Canon Easy Print software. Maybe I would have
> better luck using the pict bridge and print directly from the camera?

Your photo lab has probably adjusted the colour of the print.
How does the colour look on screen compared to your print?
You should at a minimum profile your monitor using Adobe Gamma, or if
you don't have PS, then one of the free downloads that you will find if
you google for it. Then at least you will get a rough idea of how your
print might look. You can go much further than that with profiling to
get colour accuracy, but it's much better than nothing.
The IP9950 (same as 9900 - but with CD printing) that I have looked at
actually seemed by default a bit blue in skin tone, and the iP4000 a bit
red.
If you didn't alter the colour using the software on your PC, then
printing direct from your camera probably wouldn't improve matters.
You will have a white balance and probably saturation settings on your
camera, and changing program modes (portrait/macro/landscape etc) will
change the colour balance and saturation of the images.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:29:13 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Some Computer wrote:

>The IP9950 (same as 9900 - but with CD printing) that I have looked at
>actually seemed by default a bit blue in skin tone, and the iP4000 a bit
>red.

That's the issue I've had with my i9900 - a blue tint. I've never had
it come out tinted towards red with the stock ink and control files.

The excessive blue tint comes from the photo cyan cartridge. I noticed
that with a Weink photo cyan cartridge in place, the blue tinting goes
away..

Jim Fletcher wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:29:13 +1200, frederick <nomail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Some Computer wrote:
>

>>The IP9950 (same as 9900 - but with CD printing) that I have looked at
>>actually seemed by default a bit blue in skin tone, and the iP4000 a bit
>>red.
>

> That's the issue I've had with my i9900 - a blue tint. I've never had
> it come out tinted towards red with the stock ink and control files.
>
> The excessive blue tint comes from the photo cyan cartridge. I noticed
> that with a Weink photo cyan cartridge in place, the blue tinting goes
> away..

Talking about weink inks. I bought a set of 6 colors of ink for my i960
more than a year ago. The blue color was clearly not as blue as Canon OEM's
blue. I wrote weink support about it and never got any replies. I no longer
use weink any more. The ink was RC-52 ink.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:07:41 GMT, " Stevelee" <"
Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> The excessive blue tint comes from the photo cyan cartridge. I noticed
>> that with a Weink photo cyan cartridge in place, the blue tinting goes
>> away..
>
>Talking about weink inks. I bought a set of 6 colors of ink for my i960
>more than a year ago. The blue color was clearly not as blue as Canon OEM's
>blue. I wrote weink support about it and never got any replies. I no longer
>use weink any more. The ink was RC-52 ink.

It's the photo cyan, and I agree with your observation except that I
prefer the Weink version since the Canon is too blue in my opinion.
In i9900 reviews around the Internet you read about the excess blue
tint of this printer, and the Weink version does correct that issue
for better or worse.

Doesn't printing with Easy Print still use the i9900 printer driver?
If so, what settings/options were used in the printer driver? (There
are a number of them, ie: Color Adjustment Auto/Manual, Enable ICM,
Print Type {None,Auto,Photo,Graphic}, Vivid Photo, etc).

I have all options disabled and prints come out fantastic; but, I
print using Photoshop CS on Canon papers using the Canon paper
profiles. There was one other poster a while back that had color
probs with their i9900 - I think Canon told them to return it and get
another and the new one is fine.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Fletcher wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:07:41 GMT, " Stevelee" <"
> Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>The excessive blue tint comes from the photo cyan cartridge. I noticed
>>>that with a Weink photo cyan cartridge in place, the blue tinting goes
>>>away..
>>
>>Talking about weink inks. I bought a set of 6 colors of ink for my i960
>>more than a year ago. The blue color was clearly not as blue as Canon OEM's
>>blue. I wrote weink support about it and never got any replies. I no longer
>>use weink any more. The ink was RC-52 ink.
>

> It's the photo cyan, and I agree with your observation except that I
> prefer the Weink version since the Canon is too blue in my opinion.
> In i9900 reviews around the Internet you read about the excess blue
> tint of this printer, and the Weink version does correct that issue
> for better or worse.

You're right. Too blue is a problem with the oem ink in the canon i9900.
Frank

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:57:21 -0700, Frank <fb@nospam.com> wrote:

>You're right. Too blue is a problem with the oem ink in the canon i9900.

It drove me crazy. I have the Pantone Printfix and DoctorPro
applications (and the little scanner) and can make my own control
files. Job one was to get rid of that damn excess blue. It's the
Photo Cyan cartridge specifically.

I just got my i9900 back this morning from Canon. They put a warranty
replacement new head in it. Possibly some of my earlier ink
experiments may have damaged it although I was careful. Just bought a
Formulabs ink refill kit from alotofthings.com, and hopefully that
approach will work OK! If that's too blue, I can fix it at least with
the Pantone doodads.

> Jim Fletcher wrote:

>> It's the photo cyan, and I agree with your observation except that I
>> prefer the Weink version since the Canon is too blue in my opinion.
>> In i9900 reviews around the Internet you read about the excess blue
>> tint of this printer, and the Weink version does correct that issue
>> for better or worse.

In my opinion, Canon OEM's blue is very beautiful blue. It is always bluer
than weink RC-52's blue. I don't think it is Canon that is too blue. Of
course color is very subjective. You may actually like weink's blue. But
to me it is a mismatch of color from weink's RC-52 ink. Canon's blue
apparently has a wider gamut than weink's blue.

Frank wrote:

> Jim Fletcher wrote:

>>> Talking about weStink inks. I bought a set of 6 colors of ink for my
>>> i960
>>> more than a year ago. The blue color was clearly not as blue as
>>> Canon OEM's
>>> blue. I wrote weStink support about it and never got any replies. I
>>> no longer
>>> use weStink any more. The ink was RC-52 ink.
>>

>> It's the photo cyan, and I agree with your observation except that I
>> don't
>> prefer the weStink version since the Canon is not too blue in my
>> opinion.
>> In i9900 reviews around the Internet you read about the excess blue
>> tint of this printer, and the weStink version does correct that issue
>> for better or worse.
>

> You're wrong. Too blue is not a problem with the oem ink in the canon
> i9900.
> Frank the Churchgoer

Hail Mary