b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600
Intel D975XBX Motherboard
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800
MSI Geforce 7900GT 256MB
WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB

Is this looking good? (everything compatible?) What kind of PSU am I gonna need? There's a deal at tigerdirect on the E6600/mobo combo, but I would need to buy a heatsink and fan to go with it. Recomendations?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Well, when you don't post any information, you don't get replies.

1) Budget

2) Uses

3) DO NOT EVER FOR ANY REASON BUY from Tiger Direct.

4) Raptors are not worth the money.

5) Good name 500W or more. Antec, OCZ, FCP.

b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Primarily gaming, with a little photo editing on the side.
$2000 budget

I've heard a lot of good things about Tiger Direct from friends, they have decent prices on many items. Why don't you like them?

Again, every review I've read says Raptors are top of performance line without going SCSI. Half the posts I read on this forum say to get a Raptor. Why do think they're not worth it?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Good things about TigerDirect from friends? Were they on crack? These forums have been litterred with horror stories about their sales and customer service. I've my own story with them and I'll never do business with them again.

Here are some PSUs that would be suitable for your rig

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W ($105)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003
Strong amps (22 per rail) on a dual 12v rail, Active PFC

SILVERSTONE ST50EF-Plus ATX 12V 2.2 500W ($105)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256008
Strong amps (18 per rail) on a dual 12v rail, Active PFC

XCLIO X14S4P3 500W ATX 500W ($95)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189012
Strong amps (18 per rail) on a dual 12v rail, Active PFC

b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I've been using Price Grabber to find prices on the parts I want. They have...
Tiger Direct: 21208 reviews, 4 1/2 stars
ZipZoomFly: 25198 reviews, 4 1/2 stars
New Egg: 14425 reviews, 5 stars

90% of bad reviews on Tiger Direct were based on problems with rebates, which were via a 3rd party. *shrug* Seems reliable to me.

That aside, I'll prolly go with the Enermax PSU suggested. ZZF currently has it for the same price, with a $15 rebate. If I go with the CPU/MoBo combo, what do you recomend for a heatsink/fan? I appreciate the advice.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I guess you don't come to these forums much. If you did you would have seen all the problems that people have had with TigerDirects less than honest admission of their Conroe stock over the course of the last 3 weeks. They've had their conroes labled as being "In Stock" when, if fact, they weren't. There have been many topics here at TG about people placing orders with them only to find out that, while the ques grew considerably, their stock was not going to be delivered until the end of the month - this with their site saying it was currently in stock.

The sales rep I originally spoke to on the 9th told me that my order would be shipped on the 11th. On the 11th, I was told that their que for the E6600 had grown to over 160 and that they only had 50 in stock. A subsequent call on the 11th revealed that not only did they NOT have stock but that their stock was not going to come in, as per the sales reps words "In all honesty", until sometime towards the end of the month and it was only going to be a shipment of 50. Now, mind you, the site was, at this point, still listing their stock of the product as still available. There must've been hundreds of people in que who had no idea that they weren't going to get that proc when they were told.

All told, there were three different sales reps I spoke to, each with different stories but with one common aspect, they had nto stock of the E6600. Only two of the three told me that they weren't getting any untilt he end of the month.

Needless to say, I cancelled my order, waited for my credit card to be reimbursed, found a site that actually had the E6600 and bought the retail box version for $337 and have recieved the email confirmation of it's tracking number. It's due in two days.

I'll never do business with TigerDirect again and I know alot of people here won't either.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Again, every review I've read says Raptors are top of performance line without going SCSI. Half the posts I read on this forum say to get a Raptor. Why do think they're not worth it?

Simple: for the price you pay for 150GB Raptor you can get almost a 500GB regular drive which is only 5-6% slower. Raptors are good at pulling up things faster, and loading your games a few seconds faster. Thats it! Raptors are also run hot and make a lot of noise. Your call though.

Raptor 150GB - $250
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 Perpendicular Recording- offers a nice speed boost) $79 or $160 for 2. 500GB and you STILL spent $90 less.

Thats my point on why Raptors are not worth it.

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
TigerDirects less than honest admission of their Conroe stock over the course of the last 3 weeks. They've had their conroes labled as being "In Stock" when, if fact, they weren't. There have been many topics here at TG about people placing orders with them only to find out that, while the ques grew considerably, their stock was not going to be delivered until the end of the month - this with their site saying it was currently in stock.

Scan.co.uk did the same thing. They have had E6600's in stock for weeks, but guess what, if you ask them to check inventory on phone they tell you they are out. Then they give some BS excuse about back orders, lol.

I ended up having to get my parts from 3 different suppliers in the uk. Thats three delivery costs :evil: Although, i did actually get all my parts within 3 days, so i can't complain that much.