zone transfer

When I set up a stand alone secdonary type DNS to transter zone from a
domain DNS server the error message is "zone not loaded by DNS server. The
DNS server encountered an error while attempting to load the zone.The
transfer of zone data from the master server failed.....". Can transfer zone
from a domain DNS server to a stand alone DNS server?

In news:OXWfx4orEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Charms Zhou <charmszhou@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> When I set up a stand alone secdonary type DNS to
> transter zone from a domain DNS server the error message
> is "zone not loaded by DNS server. The DNS server
> encountered an error while attempting to load the
> zone.The transfer of zone data from the master server
> failed.....". Can transfer zone from a domain DNS server
> to a stand alone DNS server?

Have you allowed zone transfers to all IP addresses on the secondary DNS?
This can happen if the machine that the secondary zone is on is multihomed
and you have not allow zone transfers to all IP addresses on the secondary
server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Yes I allowed zone transfer to all IP address on the secondary DNS. The
status of the zone is expired.

"Charms Zhou" <charmszhou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes I allowed zone transfer to all IP address on the secondary DNS. The
> status of the zone is expired.

That's backwards -- you must allow the transfer at the SOURCE
or Master, e.g., on the Primary you must allow transfer to all or
just to the specific (secondary) DNS server(so).

The secondary cannot give ITSELF permission -- the primary must
do that.

If you have set the Primary to allow transfers and it still doesn't
work, then look for firewall and routing issues.

--
Herb Martin

In news:eO%23kKSprEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Charms Zhou <charmszhou@hotmail.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes I allowed zone transfer to all IP address on the
> secondary DNS. The status of the zone is expired.

Then you should verify connectivity exists between the two servers on 53 TCP
and UDP

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

The connection exists.I can let the secondary DNS server as a DNS client to
query DNS records on the master DNS server.If there is permission problem?
The master DNS server is a domain controller and the secondary DNS server is
a stand alone server. Suppose the domain is abc.com so I should set the
secondary zone as abc.com, right?

Thanks,
Charms

> The connection exists.I can let the secondary DNS server as a DNS client
> query DNS records on the master DNS server.

That doesn't prove anything for ZONE TRANSFERS.

(Almost) all client requests are UDP while Zone transfers use TCP,
which is a completely different firewall/filter setting.

Second, zone transfers must be enable in general or to specific
request addresses even though a simple (resource record) request
is not so filter by the DNS server itself.

I.e., you can make resolution requests from a machine not
authorized to do zone transfers (in almost all cases unless an
additional firewall is involved.)

> If there is permission problem?

No, not permissions in the sense of ACL/ACE's or authentication
in Windows.

Yes, perhaps, if you mean the "allow zone tranfers" which can
be totally disable, totally enabled (all addresses), or selectively
enabled for certain IP addresses (DNS zone properties.)

> The master DNS server is a domain controller and the secondary DNS server
is
> a stand alone server.

It is irrelevant that the Master is a DC -- the key is the settings
for "allow zone transfers" on the Master.

And of course the firewall settings.

The only relevance of the DNS server being a stand alone server
(or member server, or BIND Unix server, really: NOT an AD-integrated
DNS server) is that the replication will not be done through AD and
will require both the settings for "allow zone transfers" on the Master
and intervening firewalls to allow them to talk on TCP port 53 (relative
to the Master).

> Suppose the domain is abc.com so I should set the
> secondary zone as abc.com, right?

Yes, as it would not be a secondary FOR THAT ZONE unless you did
that.

A "secondary DNS server" is really a "Secondary DNS server FOR a
PARTICULAR zone/domain."

The same server can be secondary for many zones, and even primary
for some zones and secondary for others, but you should always THINK
about and DESIGN DNS by thinking of only one zone/dna server at a
time.*

*Only real exception: When delegating a child zone you are working
IN the Parent zone, creating the delegation records for the child zone
DNS servers -- but again you really only think of one zone at a time and
each will have it's own set of DNS servers, Primary OR AD-Integrated
(Primary) set with optional Seconaries for THAT SPECIFIC zone.

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks,
> Charms
>

> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> > In news:eO%23kKSprEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> > Charms Zhou <charmszhou@hotmail.com> commented
> > Then Kevin replied below:
> >> Yes I allowed zone transfer to all IP address on the
> >> secondary DNS. The status of the zone is expired.
> >
> > Then you should verify connectivity exists between the two servers on 53
> > TCP
> > and UDP
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ===================================
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ===================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > ===================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > ===================================
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> > ===================================

I got it. Thanks very much! another question is can a stand alone computer
be registered to DC DNS server,stand alone DNS server and secondary DNS
server?

> I got it. Thanks very much! another question is can a stand alone computer
> be registered to DC DNS server,stand alone DNS server and secondary DNS
> server?

"be registered to DC DNS server"?

The question is unclear.

1) Any machine can appear in any DNS server that is
authoritative (holds the zone file) for that zone.

2) Only a Primary or a DC-AD Integrated DNS server
can accept the registrations (Secondaries do zone
transfers from another of the DNS servers of that zone.)

3) Anything registered with the Master will get copied
to the other DNS servers of that zone (if replication works
at all.)

4) There is no requirement for either the (standard) Primary
or any Secondary to be a Windows machine or to be in the
domain.

[The Primary for a zone supporting Windows AD SHOULD
generally be a Windows 2000+ DNS server but that is not
required -- Dynamic DNS is required for the Primary and
SRV record support is required for all Secondaries.]

5) Only domain (or trusted domain) machines can register
if "secure updates only" are enabled -- i.e., the machine must
be authenticated to register itself.

This last, #5, is really the only true security (based on ACL/ACE
security principals) that exists in Windows DNS (and pretty much
in the other DNS servers.)

--
Herb Martin

> > "Charms Zhou" <charmszhou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> The connection exists.I can let the secondary DNS server as a DNS
client
> >> query DNS records on the master DNS server.
> >
> > That doesn't prove anything for ZONE TRANSFERS.
> >
> > (Almost) all client requests are UDP while Zone transfers use TCP,
> > which is a completely different firewall/filter setting.
> >
> > Second, zone transfers must be enable in general or to specific
> > request addresses even though a simple (resource record) request
> > is not so filter by the DNS server itself.
> >
> > I.e., you can make resolution requests from a machine not
> > authorized to do zone transfers (in almost all cases unless an
> > additional firewall is involved.)
> >
> >> If there is permission problem?
> >
> > No, not permissions in the sense of ACL/ACE's or authentication
> > in Windows.
> >
> > Yes, perhaps, if you mean the "allow zone tranfers" which can
> > be totally disable, totally enabled (all addresses), or selectively
> > enabled for certain IP addresses (DNS zone properties.)
> >
> >> The master DNS server is a domain controller and the secondary DNS
server
> > is
> >> a stand alone server.
> >
> > It is irrelevant that the Master is a DC -- the key is the settings
> > for "allow zone transfers" on the Master.
> >
> > And of course the firewall settings.
> >
> > The only relevance of the DNS server being a stand alone server
> > (or member server, or BIND Unix server, really: NOT an AD-integrated
> > DNS server) is that the replication will not be done through AD and
> > will require both the settings for "allow zone transfers" on the Master
> > and intervening firewalls to allow them to talk on TCP port 53 (relative
> > to the Master).
> >
> >> Suppose the domain is abc.com so I should set the
> >> secondary zone as abc.com, right?
> >
> > Yes, as it would not be a secondary FOR THAT ZONE unless you did
> > that.
> >
> > A "secondary DNS server" is really a "Secondary DNS server FOR a
> > PARTICULAR zone/domain."
> >
> > The same server can be secondary for many zones, and even primary
> > for some zones and secondary for others, but you should always THINK
> > about and DESIGN DNS by thinking of only one zone/dna server at a
> > time.*
> >
> > *Only real exception: When delegating a child zone you are working
> > IN the Parent zone, creating the delegation records for the child zone
> > DNS servers -- but again you really only think of one zone at a time and
> > each will have it's own set of DNS servers, Primary OR AD-Integrated
> > (Primary) set with optional Seconaries for THAT SPECIFIC zone.
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> >> Thanks,
> >> Charms
> >>

> >> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message

I created a primary DNS on a stand alone Windows2000 server. But no
WindowsXP client can register to it.I mean there is no any record but its
selft on the DNS server.I don't understand why.

> I created a primary DNS on a stand alone Windows2000 server. But no
> WindowsXP client can register to it.I mean there is no any record but its
> selft on the DNS server.I don't understand why.

Did you allow it to accept "dynamic updates" (in the
zone properties)?

Can the Workstations FIND it?
(e.g., is it their ONLY DNS server?)

"Secure updates" are NOT an option for a non-DC DNS
server so that is not your problem.

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> дÈëÓʼþ
> > "Charms Zhou" <charmszhou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I got it. Thanks very much! another question is can a stand alone
> computer
> > > be registered to DC DNS server,stand alone DNS server and secondary
DNS
> > > server?
> >
> > "be registered to DC DNS server"?
> >
> > The question is unclear.
> >
> > 1) Any machine can appear in any DNS server that is
> > authoritative (holds the zone file) for that zone.
> >
> > 2) Only a Primary or a DC-AD Integrated DNS server
> > can accept the registrations (Secondaries do zone
> > transfers from another of the DNS servers of that zone.)
> >
> > 3) Anything registered with the Master will get copied
> > to the other DNS servers of that zone (if replication works
> > at all.)
> >
> > 4) There is no requirement for either the (standard) Primary
> > or any Secondary to be a Windows machine or to be in the
> > domain.
> >
> > [The Primary for a zone supporting Windows AD SHOULD
> > generally be a Windows 2000+ DNS server but that is not
> > required -- Dynamic DNS is required for the Primary and
> > SRV record support is required for all Secondaries.]
> >
> > 5) Only domain (or trusted domain) machines can register
> > if "secure updates only" are enabled -- i.e., the machine must
> > be authenticated to register itself.
> >
> > This last, #5, is really the only true security (based on ACL/ACE
> > security principals) that exists in Windows DNS (and pretty much
> > in the other DNS servers.)
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > client

> > server

> Master
> (relative

> and

> message

> on

I got it. Restart the PC(DNS client),it is OK.Thanks a lot!