Event ID: 4016 and 4004

Over the weekend no one could access the DC remotely.
Upon arrival this morning we notice that it was completely
frozen (would not process anything). Is this why I
received the following DNS errors:

Event ID 416 Error:

The DNS server timed out attempting an Active Directory
service operation on
DC=RootDNSServers,cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,DC=csrardc,DC=o
rg. Check Active Directory to see that it is functioning
properly. The event data contains the error.

Event ID 4004 Error:

The DNS server was unable to complete directory service
enumeration of zone .. This DNS server is configured to
use information obtained from Active Directory for this
zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check
that the Active Directory is functioning properly and
repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains
the error.

Thanks,
Bervin

In news:2c5b01c4afb1$77c66760$a301280a@phx.gbl,
bervin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Over the weekend no one could access the DC remotely.
> Upon arrival this morning we notice that it was completely
> frozen (would not process anything). Is this why I
> received the following DNS errors:
>
> Event ID 416 Error:
>
> The DNS server timed out attempting an Active Directory
> service operation on
> DC=RootDNSServers,cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,DC=csrardc,DC=o
> rg. Check Active Directory to see that it is functioning
> properly. The event data contains the error.
>
> Event ID 4004 Error:
>
> The DNS server was unable to complete directory service
> enumeration of zone .. This DNS server is configured to
> use information obtained from Active Directory for this
> zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check
> that the Active Directory is functioning properly and
> repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains
> the error.
>
> Thanks,
> Bervin

Try and see if this helps:

run:
netdiag /v /fix > c:\netdiag.txt
dcdiag /v > c:\dcdiag.txt

See if that helps. If not, post those two files please along with an
ipconfig /all.

If you would like, take it a step further and follow these steps to see if
it helps:

-Make the zone a Primary zone.
- Stop the DNS service
- Delete your zone(s)
- Delete your system32\dns folder and your netlogon.dns file
- Uninstall dns and reinstall it
-Do not restart the machine
-Re-create the zone
-Enable updates
-ipconfig /registerdns
-net stop netlogon
-net start netlogon

Makes sure the SRV records now exist and see if that helps.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

HI all,

I am getting the same errors as above and wondered if they affect a
server in terms of it rebooting...

At the moment Im having all kinds of trouble with the server we use.

Could anyone help me out with a solution as having 10 end users
screaming at me due to them not being able to carry out standard tasks
is slightly annoying.

:mad:

When the server dies I cant log on as admin or anything I have to hit
the reset button..

E-mail stops working for the end users (Exchange server)
Shared folders cant be accessed ...
Private folders cant be accessed..

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you can help or need additional
information.

Thanks in advance.

--
Gedders2002
Gedders2002's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2464

Hello Gedders,

Sorry you only have your few lines here, without anything about the "same
errors". How can one help?

With your subject, and assume yours is DNS, take a look at the followings.

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4004&eventno=334&source=DNS&phase=1
http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4016&eventno=1632&source=DNS&phase=1

You may have incorrectly set your DNS settings.

br,
Denis

"Gedders2002" <Gedders2002.1qzdss@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> HI all,
>
> I am getting the same errors as above and wondered if they affect a
> server in terms of it rebooting...
>
> At the moment Im having all kinds of trouble with the server we use.
>
> Could anyone help me out with a solution as having 10 end users
> screaming at me due to them not being able to carry out standard tasks
> is slightly annoying.
>
> :mad:
>
> When the server dies I cant log on as admin or anything I have to hit
> the reset button..
>
> E-mail stops working for the end users (Exchange server)
> Shared folders cant be accessed ...
> Private folders cant be accessed..
>
> Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you can help or need additional
> information.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Gedders2002
> Gedders2002's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2464

Yes they are the errors that I am getting, I havent changed any DNS
settings at all, the server itself has been fine and running without a
problem for the last year.

Thats why I cant understand what the problem is, Im no expert by any
stretch of the imagination however I can normally resolve problems. Up
until now that is.

Where should I be looking to ensure that DNS settings are as they
should be?

Thanks for your help.

--
Gedders2002
Gedders2002's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2464

Hi Gedders,

I don't even know your situation. Please post your details and problems as
much as possible. I don't have the previous references. Next time pls quote
the previous posts when you reply.

In the mean time, see if the first answer (Ionut Marin) in my first link
suits you.

br,
Denis