Seems easy enough - now

Here is Microsoft's latest and greatest article to configure my DNS in Windows 2000. I have a dynamic IP address which hasn't changed in over a year now. I doubt it will ever change so it is for all intents and purposes (locally) static.

Anyway I have never gotten this thing to work correctly but I have been getting by. According to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

they say, "Note that Windows 2000-based DNS severs should point to themselves for DNS. If this server needs to resolve names from its Internet service provider (ISP), you should configure a forwarder. Forwarders are discussed later in this article."

That's all well and good but exactly "where am I supposed to "point to [myself.?]" Do I just have ONE DNS server in "DNS server addresses in order of use" namely my IP address? Thanks.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

Yes, you only need to have 1 DNS entry. For example, your server's IP is
a.b.c.d, then on your server's IP setting, you only need 1 DNS server entry
which is a.b.c.d.

The place where you suggested is already in the advanced TCPIP setting.
Actually you do not need to modify it there. You can just modify in the TCPIP
properties dialog - Preferred DNS server.

"George Hester" wrote:

> Here is Microsoft's latest and greatest article to configure my DNS in Windows 2000. I have a dynamic IP address which hasn't changed in over a year now. I doubt it will ever change so it is for all intents and purposes (locally) static.
>
> Anyway I have never gotten this thing to work correctly but I have been getting by. According to this article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
>
> they say, "Note that Windows 2000-based DNS severs should point to themselves for DNS. If this server needs to resolve names from its Internet service provider (ISP), you should configure a forwarder. Forwarders are discussed later in this article."
>
> That's all well and good but exactly "where am I supposed to "point to [myself.?]" Do I just have ONE DNS server in "DNS server addresses in order of use" namely my IP address? Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester
> __________________________________

> they say, "Note that Windows 2000-based DNS severs should point to
themselves for DNS. If this server needs to resolve names from its Internet
service provider (ISP), you should configure a forwarder. Forwarders are
discussed later in this article."

> That's all well and good but exactly "where am I supposed to "point to
[myself.?]" Do I just have ONE DNS server in "DNS server addresses in order
of use" namely my IP address? Thanks.

The first sentence should be amended to read,

"Note that Windows 2000-based DNS severs should point
to themselves for DNS...on their own client NIC\IP\Advanced
\DNS\Server properties."

DNS servers are DNS clients too, in almost all cases, especially
if they are DCs or run any other service that requires EITHER
dynamic registration with internal DNS or resolution of other
internal machine names.

There are occasional, and usually temporary exceptions, such
as when your internal AD-integrated DNS stops replicating
both AD and DNS records but even in this case the DNS
server (a DC) will point to either itself or some other internal
DNS server (an internal Master.)

DNS
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

--
Herb Martin

Hi George

Yes. That's what it means. You set the preferred DNS server setting in the
TCP/IP properties to use the ip address assigned to the server. You do not
configure any secondary address.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Here is Microsoft's latest and greatest article to configure my DNS in
Windows 2000. I have a dynamic IP address which hasn't changed in over a
year now. I doubt it will ever change so it is for all intents and purposes
(locally) static.

Anyway I have never gotten this thing to work correctly but I have been
getting by. According to this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

they say, "Note that Windows 2000-based DNS severs should point to
themselves for DNS. If this server needs to resolve names from its Internet
service provider (ISP), you should configure a forwarder. Forwarders are
discussed later in this article."

That's all well and good but exactly "where am I supposed to "point to
[myself.?]" Do I just have ONE DNS server in "DNS server addresses in order
of use" namely my IP address? Thanks.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

GH> [...] exactly where am I supposed to "point to [myself.?]"

It's terrible phraseology, yes. Many times this vague notion of
"pointing to" has caused confusion. There are, after all, several
things that can "point" on the machine. The confusion that this
engenders is only exacerbated by people conflating the DNS server
itself, running on the machine, with the machine that is providing the
DNS server service (amongst several others), terming both the "DNS server".

What the "pointing to" means here is that the DNS Client on your machine
must be configured to talk to the proxy DNS server running on that same
machine. The DNS Client is of course configured by setting the
"preferred DNS server" and the "alternate DNS server(s)" in the IP
network properties.

Also note that the article says

MSKB> If this server needs to resolve names from
MSKB> its Internet service provider (ISP),
MSKB> you should configure a forwarder.

The word "if" is very important, but much overlooked. It's not
necessarily the case that you have to use your ISP's proxy DNS service
at all.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html#ForwardingProxy>
<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-obtaining-proxy-service.html>