  • Verizon
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
November 5, 2004 12:49:45 AM

I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes. Is
there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it just
subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
Thanks.

More about : free data service cingular

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:19:59 AM

In <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05> on Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:49:45 -0800,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
>data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes. Is
>there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it just
>subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?

That would be CSD (Circuit Switched Data), which is essentially dog-slow (9600
bps) dialup. To enable CSD with Cingular, you have to sign up for at least a
minimal Wireless Internet Express package (MEdia Net [500KB] $2.99).

November 5, 2004 11:59:29 AM

In article <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05>,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
> data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes. Is
> there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it just
> subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
> Thanks.

$20/month for unlimited data
November 5, 2004 4:44:02 PM

John,

Thats not what I was told or have experienced. I can use either slow CSD or
their 1xrrt (?), and uage will only be deducted from my minutes. I have
connected using the faster of the two and it works. Although I only got
about 95kbit/s, but it was usable while out and about.

Does Cingular have any option to use their high speed network, while only
deducting minutes? I don't anticipate using it much, but would be nice to
be able to if needed. Also it is the reason keeping a few of my friends
from switching to ATT or Cingular. Thanks.

> In <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05> on Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:49:45 -0800,
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
>>data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes. Is
>>there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it just
>>subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
>
> That would be CSD (Circuit Switched Data), which is essentially dog-slow
> (9600
> bps) dialup. To enable CSD with Cingular, you have to sign up for at
> least a
> minimal Wireless Internet Express package (MEdia Net [500KB] $2.99).

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:51:57 PM

Jack,

Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service? Thanks.

> In article <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05>,
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
>> data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes.
>> Is
>> there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it
>> just
>> subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
>> Thanks.
>

> $20/month for unlimited data
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:03:10 AM

In article <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05>,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jack,
>
> Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
> used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service? Thanks.

That could be used through a laptopo, as long as you went through the
Cingular portal, the actual effective speed is around 9600 bps.

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05>,
> > "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
> >> data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes.
> >> Is
> >> there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it
> >> just
> >> subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
> >> Thanks.
> >

> > $20/month for unlimited data
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:03:11 AM

| In article <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05>,
| "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
|
| > Jack,
| >
| > Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that
be
| > used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service?
Thanks.

| That could be used through a laptopo, as long as you went through the
| Cingular portal, the actual effective speed is around 9600 bps.

I get no lower than 30kbps even when signal is so low at my lake house I can
hardly use voice. I typically get around 42kbps average tetherd to my
notebook. Not fast by anymeans, but at least comparable to dial-up. CSD
(dial-in) is virtually unusable when tethered. These speeds will go up when
Edge rollout is complete if you have an EDGE capable handset. I am not sure
if EDGE will be including with the MEdia Works package or not. John may be
able to shed more light on this subject.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 2:56:20 AM

In <EuSid.82248$bk1.56477@fed1read05> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:44:02 -0800,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05> on Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:49:45 -0800,
>> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
>>>data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes. Is
>>>there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it just
>>>subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
>>
>> That would be CSD (Circuit Switched Data), which is essentially dog-slow
>> (9600
>> bps) dialup. To enable CSD with Cingular, you have to sign up for at
>> least a
>> minimal Wireless Internet Express package (MEdia Net [500KB] $2.99).

>Thats not what I was told or have experienced. I can use either slow CSD or
>their 1xrrt (?), and uage will only be deducted from my minutes.

1xRTT is CDMA (Verizon or Sprint). GSM CSD is only available on Cingular if
you sign up for a data package.

>I have
>connected using the faster of the two and it works. Although I only got
>about 95kbit/s, but it was usable while out and about.

On Cingular, that would have to be EDGE.

>Does Cingular have any option to use their high speed network, while only
>deducting minutes? ...

See my prior post.

November 6, 2004 2:57:04 AM

Tethered too. Speed is about 50 Kbps for GPRS, and about twice that for EDGE.

In <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:51:57 -0800,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jack,
>
>Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
>used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service? Thanks.
>

>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <XvEid.79900$bk1.35535@fed1read05>,
>> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently with Verizon, but thinking of switching to Cingular. I get
>>> data service now for free, as it just subtracts usage from my minutes.
>>> Is
>>> there anything like that with cingular, where I can get online and it
>>> just
>>> subtracts from my minutes, and I dont need to pay extra for a data plan?
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> $20/month for unlimited data

November 6, 2004 2:57:05 AM

John,

Is EDGE included in the $20/month unlimited data for tethered devices?

Thanks.

> Tethered too. Speed is about 50 Kbps for GPRS, and about twice that for
> EDGE.
>
> In <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:51:57 -0800,
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Jack,
>>
>>Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
>>used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service?
>>Thanks.
>>

>>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>>> $20/month for unlimited data

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 2:58:32 AM

In <jzwick3-504401.16031005112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Fri, 05 Nov
2004 22:03:10 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05>,
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jack,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
>> used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service? Thanks.
>
>That could be used through a laptopo, as long as you went through the
>Cingular portal, the actual effective speed is around 9600 bps.

That's CSD. GPRS is about 50 Kbps. EDGE is about twice that.

>> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > $20/month for unlimited data

November 6, 2004 7:57:43 PM

EDGE (where available) is included.

The plan says nothing about tethering.

In <F_Uid.83000$bk1.25028@fed1read05> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:34:44 -0800,
"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:

>John,
>
>Is EDGE included in the $20/month unlimited data for tethered devices?
>
>Thanks.

>> Tethered too. Speed is about 50 Kbps for GPRS, and about twice that for
>> EDGE.
>>
>> In <2CSid.82252$bk1.50384@fed1read05> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:51:57 -0800,
>> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Jack,
>>>
>>>Thanks for the info. Is that just data usage on the phone, or can that be
>>>used tethered to a laptop? What is the speed of that data service?
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

November 7, 2004 1:22:38 AM

You could always just dial in to an ISP, it should work, haven't tried
it myself. Of course speeds would be around ~14.4kbps.

I'm sure there are dial-up ISPs that have very cheap plans if you pay
annually, especially if you only want a few hours a month. No long
distance phone call charges either.

http://www.findanisp.com would be a good place to search. There are
others, Google em.

--
Tashfeen Bhimdi
Anonymous

"Tashfeen Bhimdi" <tbhimdi@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
| You could always just dial in to an ISP, it should work, haven't tried
| it myself. Of course speeds would be around ~14.4kbps.

CSD still has to be enabled on the account for that to work, and speeds in
most market would be only 9600 max.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:11:56 PM

> CSD still has to be enabled on the account for that to work

Enabled yes but not necessarily a paid option. A friend and I, both
with GAIT phones/plan, have CSD without paying for a data plan not even
Internet Express--it is or was automatically enabled. We can connect by
calling a non-Cingular ISP via a pda or notebook. I use it a little--
mainly from the pda--usage comes out of normal minutes. Could be a GAIT
thing but at one time others with a GSM-only plan reported having it
free also. My advice--TRY CSD before ordering a data plan to see if you
already have the ability.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

"Jud Hardcastle" <l5i5changethistodash5rbo@xemaps.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1bf7e923922afedf989800@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

| > CSD still has to be enabled on the account for that to work
| >

| Enabled yes but not necessarily a paid option. A friend and I, both
| with GAIT phones/plan, have CSD without paying for a data plan not even
| Internet Express--it is or was automatically enabled. We can connect by
| calling a non-Cingular ISP via a pda or notebook. I use it a little--
| mainly from the pda--usage comes out of normal minutes. Could be a GAIT
| thing but at one time others with a GSM-only plan reported having it
| free also. My advice--TRY CSD before ordering a data plan to see if you
| already have the ability.

If it is an older account it likely does have CSD enabled. According to some
posters on HoFo, they quit enabling it for free on accounts a couple/few
months back. I used to also have it on my GSM only account for free with no
data plans. I now subscribe to MEdia Works though, as I need to connect more
frequently while on the road and 9600 wasn't cutting it. Absolutely, giving
it a try before subscribing to a plan would be best if 9600 is sufficient.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:47:29 AM

In <r25ro05cbhhji1fdv0lkmevocdnqd7lk35@4ax.com> on Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:22:38
-0500, Tashfeen Bhimdi <tbhimdi@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote:

>You could always just dial in to an ISP, it should work, haven't tried
>it myself. Of course speeds would be around ~14.4kbps.

A GSM phone has no real CSD (dialup) modem, just a sort of virtual modem which
makes a connection to a carrier's IWU (Inter Working Unit), located in some
service center. The IWU has the actual modem that can make analog data calls
over the PSTN (public switched telephone network). If the carrier doesn't
provide an IWU, or if your account isn't provisioned for CSD, then a GSM phone
cannot make CSD calls! The cost of the IWU facility and service is
non-trivial.