googlebuddy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Can anyone provide me with instructions on how to apply thermal paste to an E6600? Are the directions different than any P4 chip?

Should I follow the arctic silver instructions and put a small "grain of rice" size amount on the CPU or use a different method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I agree with prozac26.

The dot method, you just drop the HSF down with a bb or rice grain on the center.

I guess with dual core dies being some what bigger, really hard to say if the dot method is as good as spreading it on the heat spreader on the CPU.

googlebuddy

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
So then I should completely cover the top of the CPU?

Also, I understand that a "small amount" is enough but will there be issues if I put too much or too little on?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The way I usually do it, is with a razor blade. If you do it that way, make sure its a thin layer.

Just start off with a bb or rise grain size, then spread it out, using what ever you prefer.. like a credit card.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So then I should completely cover the top of the CPU?

Also, I understand that a "small amount" is enough but will there be issues if I put too much or too little on?
If you put too much on, it won't work as efficiently, and some of the excess will squish out the sides(which collects dust and hair), and turns into a mess in no time. Too little won't work as well either, but it really doesn't take that much. Just a fine layer to fill any microscopic grooves, and small concave/convex irregularities of the HS surface.