Old IP address shows up

Hi all,

Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated DNS.
We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme to a
private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution. All
entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent folder
65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We searched
the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is coming
from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.

Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?

Thanks for your help,

Claus

lee

Ping it and do a nslookup on it and see what happens...
It it reserved in dhcp by any chance?
Lee

"cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated DNS.
> We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme to a
> private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution. All
> entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
> addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent folder
> 65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We
searched
> the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is coming
> from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.
>
> Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Claus

Also check 65.x has been removed as additional IP on all interfaces and (by
chance) that 65.x is not an IP the DNS server is configured to listen on and
it did not get removed for some reason.

--
William Stacey, MVP

"cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated DNS.
> We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme to a
> private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution. All
> entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
> addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent folder
> 65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We
searched
> the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is coming
> from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.
>
> Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Claus

No response on ping nor nslookup. It is not reserved in dhcp either. We
believe that the AD has something left somewhere.

"Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ping it and do a nslookup on it and see what happens...
> It it reserved in dhcp by any chance?
> Lee
>
> "cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated
DNS.
> > We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme to
> > private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution. All
> > entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
> > addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent
folder
> > 65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We
> searched
> > the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is
coming
> > from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.
> >
> > Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Claus

That was the first thing we checked. DNS only listens on one IP. The only
place this IP is used is on the firewall for redirection purpose.

"William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Also check 65.x has been removed as additional IP on all interfaces and
(by
> chance) that 65.x is not an IP the DNS server is configured to listen on
and
> it did not get removed for some reason.
>
> --
> William Stacey, MVP
>
> "cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated
DNS.
> > We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme to
> > private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution. All
> > entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
> > addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent
folder
> > 65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We
> searched
> > the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is
coming
> > from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.
> >
> > Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Claus

I would grab an AXFR (using dig, et al) from all DCs hosting the zone and
search them for said IP.

--
William Stacey, MVP

> That was the first thing we checked. DNS only listens on one IP. The only
> place this IP is used is on the firewall for redirection purpose.
>

> "William Stacey [MVP]" <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Also check 65.x has been removed as additional IP on all interfaces and
> (by
> > chance) that 65.x is not an IP the DNS server is configured to listen on
> and
> > it did not get removed for some reason.
> >
> > --
> > William Stacey, MVP
> >
> > "cjobes" <cjobes@nova-tech.org> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Weird problem. W2K Domain with 2 DCs one of which has a AD integrated
> DNS.
> > > We recently changed the network for this client from a public scheme
> > > private address scheme. Everything works fine with name resolution.
All
> > > entries are correct with the exception that one of the old (public) IP
> > > addresses from the DC that has DNS running pops up (same as parent
> folder
> > > 65.x.x.x). We delete the record and 10 minutes later it's back. We
> > searched
> > > the registry with no success. We have no idea where this record is
> coming
> > > from. The other DC's old IP does not show up.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have an idea what we can do to make it go away for good?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > > Claus

It's not showing up anymore. We are not quite sure which of the many things
we tried did the trick. After the last reboot we deleted the record one more
time and it seems to be gone.

Lee and William, thanks for responding.

Claus