Too many entries!!

Mike

Splendid

I am new to this, but here is what I am finding... I am hoping that
there is a way to change this:
We have one domain. we have 7 DC's (2 in our main office, 5 outer
offices - all glocabl catalogs). Each DC is also a DNS Server.
I am noticing that DDNS is picking up any new entries, but leaving the
old ones around.
For example, when I look at DNS, i see:
DMS01 - 192.168.100.1
DMS-Training - 192.168.100.1
TEST - 192.168.100.1

I this scenario, Test was the original name and we tested the product
on that server. We then changed the name to training in order to
train. Finally we changed the name again to use the server in
production. All of these entries stay in DNS...

Second Scenario:
We have subnets for our floors and outer offices (192.168.19.x,
192.168.20.x, etc...)
This is what shows up in DNS if we move a pc around:
TrainingPC1 - 192.168.19.20
TrainingPC1 - 192.168.20.20
TrainingPC1 - 192.168.21.20
etc...

The reason I bring this up is because I had a citrix server crash on
me (NTOSKRNL problem) so i had to rebuild. I wiped the drives and
installed win2k server sp4 from scratch. I called the server
MetaframeXPE just to make sure it was a different name from what the
old one was in AD. I also went into AD and removed the old name of
CITRIX01. I still got "A duplicate name exists on the network" So i
did a NewSID, to no avail. I checked DNS and noticed that CITRIX01 was
still in DNS with IP 192.168.100.50, AND MetaframeXPE was there with
the same IP address. I am just guessing that this could be the cause
of the Duplicate name?

Any help on the behavior of DNS in these situations would be GREAT!
Especially any help on how to stay on top or clean up DNS.

Thanks!

In news:10802859.0410130955.23d51267@posting.google.com,
Mike <mike_bergin@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am new to this, but here is what I am finding... I am
> hoping that there is a way to change this:
> We have one domain. we have 7 DC's (2 in our main office,
> 5 outer offices - all glocabl catalogs). Each DC is also
> a DNS Server.
> I am noticing that DDNS is picking up any new entries,
> but leaving the old ones around.
> For example, when I look at DNS, i see:
> DMS01 - 192.168.100.1
> DMS-Training - 192.168.100.1
> TEST - 192.168.100.1
>
> I this scenario, Test was the original name and we tested
> the product on that server. We then changed the name to
> training in order to train. Finally we changed the name
> again to use the server in production. All of these
> entries stay in DNS...
>
> Second Scenario:
> We have subnets for our floors and outer offices
> (192.168.19.x, 192.168.20.x, etc...)
> This is what shows up in DNS if we move a pc around:
> TrainingPC1 - 192.168.19.20
> TrainingPC1 - 192.168.20.20
> TrainingPC1 - 192.168.21.20
> etc...
>
> The reason I bring this up is because I had a citrix
> server crash on me (NTOSKRNL problem) so i had to
> rebuild. I wiped the drives and installed win2k server
> sp4 from scratch. I called the server MetaframeXPE just
> to make sure it was a different name from what the old
> one was in AD. I also went into AD and removed the old
> name of CITRIX01. I still got "A duplicate name exists on
> the network" So i did a NewSID, to no avail. I checked
> DNS and noticed that CITRIX01 was still in DNS with IP
> 192.168.100.50, AND MetaframeXPE was there with the same
> IP address. I am just guessing that this could be the
> cause of the Duplicate name?
>
> Any help on the behavior of DNS in these situations would
> be GREAT! Especially any help on how to stay on top or
> clean up DNS.

Even if you had 100 hosts in DNS of the same name, you won't get a duplicate
name error. But, you will get this error if you are trying to access the
server by an alias name, is that what you are doing?
281308 - Connecting to SMB Share on a Windows 2000-Based Server May Not Work
with an Alias Name:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308&Product=win2000

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Mike

Splendid

I am not tying to access the server yet, the duplicate name comes up
when the server is rebooted. I have tried to reSid the server but that
hasn't worked.

Is Dynamic DNS supposed to remove old entries?

In news:10802859.0410140651.3435f81d@posting.google.com,
Mike <mike_bergin@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am not tying to access the server yet, the duplicate
> name comes up
> when the server is rebooted. I have tried to reSid the
> server but that
> hasn't worked.
>
> Is Dynamic DNS supposed to remove old entries?

If you are getting the duplicate name at boot up then you either have a
machine on the network with the name already, or you have multihomed NICs on
the same subnet with NetBIOS enabled on both. Disable NetBIOS on one of the
NICs or install teaming software and bridge them together so they act as one
NIC.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:uGru4EgsEHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below

> If you are getting the duplicate name at boot up then you either have
> a machine on the network with the name already, or you have
> multihomed NICs on the same subnet with NetBIOS enabled on both.
> Disable NetBIOS on one of the NICs or install teaming software and
> bridge them together so they act as one NIC.

In addition...

Or there's an old WINS entry, if WINS is being used.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.