Workstation resolves IP of RAC instead of ethernet IP

joel

We've got a Dell 2650 with win2k3 server. It is a domain controller and
running DNS.

In the process of trying to connect xp workstations to the domain, I am
noticing that when I ping the server by name from some of the workstations,
they are not successful because they are trying to connect to the Remote
Access Card's (RAC) IP address of 192.168.x.x. In other words, they are
resolving to the incorrect ethernet port.

DNS entries for the domain controller include the IP addresses bound to the
2 ethernet ports plus the IP address bound to the RAC for a total of 3
addresses. The workstations are able to ping the IP address of the first
ethernet port.

Is there a way to permanently delete (and have it not come back) the IP
address in DNS for the RAC? Or is there some other solution anyone can help
me with?

Thanks, Joel

Hi Joel

If the RAC device shows up as a NIC in the OS, you can go into the TCP/IP
properties for it, select Advanced, go to the DNS tab and uncheck, "Register
this connection's addresses in DNS". Once this is done, allow a normal
scavenge of your DNS database or manually remove the entries and you should
be OK.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Joel" <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> wrote in message
> We've got a Dell 2650 with win2k3 server. It is a domain controller and
> running DNS.
>
> In the process of trying to connect xp workstations to the domain, I am
> noticing that when I ping the server by name from some of the
> workstations,
> they are not successful because they are trying to connect to the Remote
> Access Card's (RAC) IP address of 192.168.x.x. In other words, they are
> resolving to the incorrect ethernet port.
>
> DNS entries for the domain controller include the IP addresses bound to
> the
> 2 ethernet ports plus the IP address bound to the RAC for a total of 3
> addresses. The workstations are able to ping the IP address of the first
> ethernet port.
>
> Is there a way to permanently delete (and have it not come back) the IP
> address in DNS for the RAC? Or is there some other solution anyone can
> help
> me with?
>
> Thanks, Joel

joel

Thanks for the reply Mark,

Unfortunately, the RAC device does not show up as a NIC and I can't seem to
find any place in the gui where I can turn it off.

With your idea in mind though, I did go in the registry to try something
else but this also failed. I did a search for that ip address in the
registry and it lived in
Hkey-Local_Machine\System\Controlset001\Services\tcpip\Parameters\interface\
69254721. Under the same key there is a value called EnableRegistration
(1). I tried changing the value from a 1 to a 0, but this still does not
work. That ip address continues to return in dns.

Any other ideas?
"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Joel
>
> If the RAC device shows up as a NIC in the OS, you can go into the TCP/IP
> properties for it, select Advanced, go to the DNS tab and uncheck,
> this connection's addresses in DNS". Once this is done, allow a normal
> scavenge of your DNS database or manually remove the entries and you
should
> be OK.
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

rights.

> "Joel" <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> wrote in message
> > We've got a Dell 2650 with win2k3 server. It is a domain controller and
> > running DNS.
> >
> > In the process of trying to connect xp workstations to the domain, I am
> > noticing that when I ping the server by name from some of the
> > workstations,
> > they are not successful because they are trying to connect to the Remote
> > Access Card's (RAC) IP address of 192.168.x.x. In other words, they are
> > resolving to the incorrect ethernet port.
> >
> > DNS entries for the domain controller include the IP addresses bound to
> > the
> > 2 ethernet ports plus the IP address bound to the RAC for a total of 3
> > addresses. The workstations are able to ping the IP address of the
first
> > ethernet port.
> >
> > Is there a way to permanently delete (and have it not come back) the IP
> > address in DNS for the RAC? Or is there some other solution anyone can
> > help
> > me with?
> >
> > Thanks, Joel

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Check this:
In Network Connections, open Advanced Menu, Advanced options and move the
primary interface to the top. Now the PC should respond with the right IP...
/LR

> Thanks for the reply Mark,
>
> Unfortunately, the RAC device does not show up as a NIC and I can't seem
> find any place in the gui where I can turn it off.
>
> With your idea in mind though, I did go in the registry to try something
> else but this also failed. I did a search for that ip address in the
> registry and it lived in

Hkey-Local_Machine\System\Controlset001\Services\tcpip\Parameters\interface\
> 69254721. Under the same key there is a value called EnableRegistration
> (1). I tried changing the value from a 1 to a 0, but this still does not
> work. That ip address continues to return in dns.
>
> Any other ideas?
> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Joel
> >
> > If the RAC device shows up as a NIC in the OS, you can go into the
TCP/IP
> > properties for it, select Advanced, go to the DNS tab and uncheck,
> > this connection's addresses in DNS". Once this is done, allow a normal
> > scavenge of your DNS database or manually remove the entries and you
> should
> > be OK.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > --
> > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> > Windows Platform Support Team
> > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
> >
> > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
email
> > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
> >
> > "Joel" <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> wrote in message
> > > We've got a Dell 2650 with win2k3 server. It is a domain controller
and
> > > running DNS.
> > >
> > > In the process of trying to connect xp workstations to the domain, I
am
> > > noticing that when I ping the server by name from some of the
> > > workstations,
> > > they are not successful because they are trying to connect to the
Remote
> > > Access Card's (RAC) IP address of 192.168.x.x. In other words, they
are
> > > resolving to the incorrect ethernet port.
> > >
> > > DNS entries for the domain controller include the IP addresses bound
> > > the
> > > 2 ethernet ports plus the IP address bound to the RAC for a total of 3
> > > addresses. The workstations are able to ping the IP address of the
> first
> > > ethernet port.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to permanently delete (and have it not come back) the
IP
> > > address in DNS for the RAC? Or is there some other solution anyone
can
> > > help
> > > me with?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Joel

In news:%23TR9chWsEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Joel <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> We've got a Dell 2650 with win2k3 server. It is a domain
> controller and running DNS.
>
> In the process of trying to connect xp workstations to
> the domain, I am noticing that when I ping the server by
> name from some of the workstations, they are not
> successful because they are trying to connect to the
> Remote Access Card's (RAC) IP address of 192.168.x.x. In
> other words, they are resolving to the incorrect ethernet
> port.
>
> DNS entries for the domain controller include the IP
> addresses bound to the 2 ethernet ports plus the IP
> address bound to the RAC for a total of 3 addresses. The
> workstations are able to ping the IP address of the first
> ethernet port.
>
> Is there a way to permanently delete (and have it not
> come back) the IP address in DNS for the RAC? Or is
> there some other solution anyone can help me with?
>
> Thanks, Joel

This should help you.
830063 - Name resolution and connectivity issues occur on Windows 2000
domain controllers that have the Routing and Remote Acce:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830063&Product=win2000

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Hi

You might also have to check this out with the manufacturer of the device.
I have some vague memory of seeing this issue and it may have been resolved
with a driver update.

Kind regards
--

<lrb> wrote in message news:elLuIHgsEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Check this:
> In Network Connections, open Advanced Menu, Advanced options and move the
> primary interface to the top. Now the PC should respond with the right
> IP...
> /LR
>
> "Joel" <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the reply Mark,
>>
>> Unfortunately, the RAC device does not show up as a NIC and I can't seem
>> find any place in the gui where I can turn it off.
>>
>> With your idea in mind though, I did go in the registry to try something
>> else but this also failed. I did a search for that ip address in the
>> registry and it lived in
>>
> Hkey-Local_Machine\System\Controlset001\Services\tcpip\Parameters\interface\
>> 69254721. Under the same key there is a value called EnableRegistration
>> (1). I tried changing the value from a 1 to a 0, but this still does not
>> work. That ip address continues to return in dns.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Joel
>> >
>> > If the RAC device shows up as a NIC in the OS, you can go into the
> TCP/IP
>> > properties for it, select Advanced, go to the DNS tab and uncheck,
>> > this connection's addresses in DNS". Once this is done, allow a normal
>> > scavenge of your DNS database or manually remove the entries and you
>> should
>> > be OK.
>> >
>> > Kind regards
>> > --
>> > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> > Windows Platform Support Team
>> > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>> >
>> > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
> email
>> > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>> >
>> > "Joel" <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> wrote in message
> and

> am
> Remote
> are

>> first

> IP
> can

joel

Hmmmm.

This is very interesting. My server is server 2003. Think it still
applies? I'm thinking of trying it out. Thanks.

In news:eJ6hGsrsEHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Joel <jwolfe(removethis)@digimarc.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hmmmm.
>
> This is very interesting. My server is server 2003.
> Think it still applies? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Yes it still applies.