Stowaway Keyboard

December 31, 2004 4:31:08 AM

I read in a review that the iPaq h4155 can use the same Targus
Stowaway Keyboard as my iPaq 3670 (which I just retired). When
I try to fit the h4155 onto the Stowaway connector, it initially
slips onto the connector at the base of the h4155, but it won't
slide down and seat it...and I don't want to force it. Does
anyone know if this keyboard should work with the h4155?

Thanks!
Scott

More about : stowaway keyboard

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:45:54 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:31:08 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

> I read in a review that the iPaq h4155 can use the same Targus
> Stowaway Keyboard as my iPaq 3670 (which I just retired). When
> I try to fit the h4155 onto the Stowaway connector, it initially
> slips onto the connector at the base of the h4155, but it won't
> slide down and seat it...and I don't want to force it. Does
> anyone know if this keyboard should work with the h4155?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Do you have the little adapter piece with your Targus? We used to use a
Dremel tool to sand down the curved parts of the adapters that fit into
the Targus keyboard so that other models of iPAQs could connect to it. I
am not sure about the H4155 though, because we ditched that keyboard a
long time ago. So it may work or it may not. But the sanding down of the
plastic never prevented it from connecting the old iPAQs once it was
completed - so the only risk is in the appearance of that little adapter
piece.

--
Brad Isaac
editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com

Brad Isaac wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:31:08 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> > I read in a review that the iPaq h4155 can use the same Targus
> > Stowaway Keyboard as my iPaq 3670 (which I just retired). When
> > I try to fit the h4155 onto the Stowaway connector, it initially
> > slips onto the connector at the base of the h4155, but it won't
> > slide down and seat it...and I don't want to force it. Does
> > anyone know if this keyboard should work with the h4155?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
>
> Do you have the little adapter piece with your Targus? We used to use a
> Dremel tool to sand down the curved parts of the adapters that fit into
> the Targus keyboard so that other models of iPAQs could connect to it. I
> am not sure about the H4155 though, because we ditched that keyboard a
> long time ago. So it may work or it may not. But the sanding down of the
> plastic never prevented it from connecting the old iPAQs once it was
> completed - so the only risk is in the appearance of that little adapter
> piece.
>
> --
> Brad Isaac
> editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com
> Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC

Brad,

My Targus keyboard never had a plastic adapter piece. The iPaq 3670 just
slipped on over the connector. The only adapter was a right-angle connector
used to plus an extra battery pack into the iPaq when mounted on the keyboard.

If this isn't going to work, do you have a suggestion for a replacement
keyboard? I really like the way the Targus folds up into such a small
package. Targus's website only shows an infrared keyboard.

Scott
Related resources
December 31, 2004 4:15:20 PM

Brad Isaac wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:31:08 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> > I read in a review that the iPaq h4155 can use the same Targus
> > Stowaway Keyboard as my iPaq 3670 (which I just retired). When
> > I try to fit the h4155 onto the Stowaway connector, it initially
> > slips onto the connector at the base of the h4155, but it won't
> > slide down and seat it...and I don't want to force it. Does
> > anyone know if this keyboard should work with the h4155?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
>
> Do you have the little adapter piece with your Targus? We used to use a
> Dremel tool to sand down the curved parts of the adapters that fit into
> the Targus keyboard so that other models of iPAQs could connect to it. I
> am not sure about the H4155 though, because we ditched that keyboard a
> long time ago. So it may work or it may not. But the sanding down of the
> plastic never prevented it from connecting the old iPAQs once it was
> completed - so the only risk is in the appearance of that little adapter
> piece.
>
> --
> Brad Isaac
> editor-in-chief, www.pocketpcaddict.com
> Developer, Achieve-IT! Goal Setter for Pocket PC

Brad,

I see where Compaq is selling a foldable keyboard. But instead of that
unobtrusive little wire frame that pops up to support the back of the
iPaq, it has some big square thing that's twice as wide at the iPaq...
kind of ugly.

Scott
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:10:07 PM

I don't believe they are compatible. The 3600/3700 had one connector and
then Compaq/HP changed to the one used on the 3800/3900/5500/4100/2200, and
even the newest ones. Check to see if that isn't the case with most sync
connector items. There is a 3700/3800 one, and an everything else one. The
1900 series also used the later connector but I believe it was installed 180
degrees around, so keyboards didn't work real well.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> I read in a review that the iPaq h4155 can use the same Targus
> Stowaway Keyboard as my iPaq 3670 (which I just retired). When
> I try to fit the h4155 onto the Stowaway connector, it initially
> slips onto the connector at the base of the h4155, but it won't
> slide down and seat it...and I don't want to force it. Does
> anyone know if this keyboard should work with the h4155?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:44:14 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:15:20 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

> I see where Compaq is selling a foldable keyboard. But instead of that
> unobtrusive little wire frame that pops up to support the back of the
> iPaq, it has some big square thing that's twice as wide at the iPaq...
> kind of ugly.
>
> Scott

I'm currently reviewing the Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard. So far, it is a
pretty awesome little piece of equipment. It is about the smallest
keyboard I've used for a Pocket PC. So that might be an option for you

--
!