Windows Boot Problem

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 and removing some spyware on my
computer, I restarted my computer. The boot went as normal all the way to
the blue screen where the Windows logo reveals your username where you can
type the password or log onto Windows. The problem was that only the Windows
logo popped up. I could not click on my username to log into Windows. It
will not start in Safe Mode or Last Good Mode. I also have tried to use the
Windows Recovery file on the Microsoft website. That would not start up the
restore file using that. What else can I do? I cannot loose my hard drive
information so I can't reformat or just recover my original system.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows boot problem

    Well, since we don't know when it began, the problem could either be SP2 or
    perhaps the spyware removal was a bit to aggressive and removed something
    the system needed. Since "Last Known..." didn't work and neither did Safe
    Mode, try the following Knowledge Base Article for recovering from a
    corrupted registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    If that fails to resolve it, you'll need to do a repair install as follows.
    This will put the system back to pre-SP1 and SP2 condition and any other
    post setup updates that have been installed will be removed as well though
    reinstalling SP2 will bring the system up to data with regard to all
    necessary updates up to the time of SP2's release:

    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
    reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
    boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
    instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
    replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
    simply an example.

    Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
    you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
    Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
    these commands

    COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
    COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
    (two other files needed - just in case)
    ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
    sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
    XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
    of this message.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "louisa14" <louisa14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 and removing some spyware on my
    > computer, I restarted my computer. The boot went as normal all the way to
    > the blue screen where the Windows logo reveals your username where you
    > can
    > type the password or log onto Windows. The problem was that only the
    > Windows
    > logo popped up. I could not click on my username to log into Windows. It
    > will not start in Safe Mode or Last Good Mode. I also have tried to use
    > the
    > Windows Recovery file on the Microsoft website. That would not start up
    > the
    > restore file using that. What else can I do? I cannot loose my hard drive
    > information so I can't reformat or just recover my original system.

    it might just be an idea to make a new XP cd with SP2 slipstreamed into it
    and doing an in-place 'Upgrade install' (not a repair install) to get rid of
    these inconveniences. It'll leave all other apps in tact and installed.

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    "louisa14" <louisa14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 and removing some spyware on my
    > computer, I restarted my computer. The boot went as normal all the way to
    > the blue screen where the Windows logo reveals your username where you
    > can
    > type the password or log onto Windows. The problem was that only the
    > Windows
    > logo popped up. I could not click on my username to log into Windows. It
    > will not start in Safe Mode or Last Good Mode. I also have tried to use
    > the
    > Windows Recovery file on the Microsoft website. That would not start up
    > the
    > restore file using that. What else can I do? I cannot loose my hard drive
    > information so I can't reformat or just recover my original system.

    I swear to God i followed all the directions in that knowledge based article
    for repairing the registry but now my computer won't even get to that blue
    screen. It says "Windows not able to boot up becase the
    "c:\windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. I went back in
    and checked the directory of the c:\windows\system32\config folder and the
    system one was there. Now my computer is even more screwed up. What should
    I do?

    P.S. everyone keeps asking me if I have my XP CD. Why would I have this and
    where would it be? I have a Sony Vaio Desktop and i have no XP CD. The only
    CD's I have are the system recovery ones that clear out the hard drives and
    start you from scratch. Is there anyway to get one of those XP CD's?

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > "louisa14" <louisa14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 and removing some spyware on my
    > > computer, I restarted my computer. The boot went as normal all the way to
    > > the blue screen where the Windows logo reveals your username where you
    > > can
    > > type the password or log onto Windows. The problem was that only the
    > > Windows
    > > logo popped up. I could not click on my username to log into Windows. It
    > > will not start in Safe Mode or Last Good Mode. I also have tried to use
    > > the
    > > Windows Recovery file on the Microsoft website. That would not start up
    > > the
    > > restore file using that. What else can I do? I cannot loose my hard drive
    > > information so I can't reformat or just recover my original system.

    I can only suggest you talk to Sony and see if they will make it available
    to you or to purchase it at retail.

    When it comes to purchasing a PC or Laptop, the lack of such disk is a deal
    breaker as far as I'm concerned for precisely the reason you mention. You
    can't always know in advance though you can contact the company's sales
    department and try to get confirmation or at least determine if they will
    make a retail version or non-customized OEM version available to you for an
    additional price.

    Failing that, I recommend to all users make the purchase at retail as it
    provides more recovery options without having to face losing all your data
    though the best choice in that regard is the third line in my signature and
    even having a retail disk is no substitute for it. Nonetheless, people tend
    to balk at this saying "XP was essentially purchased with their computer or
    a part of their computer package and included in their purchase price."
    That is wrong. The fee for XP as supplied by manufacturers whether as a
    recovery partition on the hard drive or as recovery disks that do as you
    describe is a very small portion of the overall purchase price.

    I can't guarantee the retail version will prevent you from ever losing data
    but it does provide you with more options. For example, assuming a repair
    install fails (You don't likely even have a repair install option with your
    recovery CDs) you can do a clean install to a separate partition and
    assuming the original installation, though unbootable is still intact, you
    could then copy your data from the old setup to the new setup.

    Recovery routines on most recovery disks don't provide such an option as
    their routine will automatically install to the drive to which they were
    originally programmed. While the above scenario would require additional
    third party software to create a new partition if an extra partition isn't
    currently available on the hard drive, the user would still have options
    unavailable with recovery disks and recovery partitions.

    --

> [...]
    >> > my
    >> > computer, I restarted my computer. The boot went as normal all the way
    >> > the blue screen where the Windows logo reveals your username where you
    >> > can
    >> > type the password or log onto Windows. The problem was that only the
    >> > Windows
    >> > logo popped up. I could not click on my username to log into Windows.
    >> > It
    >> > will not start in Safe Mode or Last Good Mode. I also have tried to use
    >> > the
    >> > Windows Recovery file on the Microsoft website. That would not start
    >> > up
    >> > the
    >> > restore file using that. What else can I do? I cannot loose my hard
    >> > drive
    >> > information so I can't reformat or just recover my original system.

    I understand the CD problem but is there anyting I can do about the missing
    c:\windows\system32\config\system file? Can I use the recovery file to do
    anything?

    You would have to ask Sony. I have no way of knowing if the file ca be
    extracted, how you would extract it in the situation you are in and how you
    would copy it to the proper place since, if you can't boot, assuming your
    system is using NTFS which is the default XP file system, you could not
    access your setup let alone the folder.

    The only things I can suggest are as follows and I'm dubious that either
    will work at this point. Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu
    appears, select "Last Known Good Configuration" and press enter. If that
    fails, follow the same procedure but select Safe Mode when the menu appears.
    If you can get into safe mode, you should be offered the chance to
    immediately go to System Restore. This is not your restore disks, this is
    XP's routine for returning the system's settings to a previous state. Once
    in System Restore, see if you can find a restore date prior to when your
    problem began and try restoring to it.

    If that fails, I really have nothing else besides your restore disks.

    --

    >I understand the CD problem but is there anyting I can do about the missing
    > c:\windows\system32\config\system file? Can I use the recovery file to do
    > anything?

Microsoft Windows XP Product