Foxconn Confirms Plans to Expand to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Depends on where they go. If they go to Flint, or Detroit Michigan they could simply buy one of the many mothballed factories and refit it for their needs instead of needing to build new. Plus god only knows, if we start reviving the economy their it'd help the rest of the country. You have to remember, a vast part of our economies backbone use to be in those two cities. Once Flint and Detroit fell, it brought the rest of the country down in a cascade. Most people don't realize the housing bubble collapse started there, about 1 year after the big 3 laid off about 1.8m people total, in those areas.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I envision the robot manufacturing plant in iRobot, not a single human in the whole building. That is pretty much the only way to manufacture in the US cheaply... unless they hire children like they do in China.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
How utterly ironic! If you look at any electronic device from the 70s and 80s (and somewhat into the 90s), you'll basically see nearly all components (chips, transistors, boards, etc.) manufactured in Western countries. Seeing "USA", "Canada", "Germany" printed on highly advanced (for its time) components was more common than not. My friend who worked in IT in Beijing in the late 90s and early 2000s tells me that his company made it a point to track down parts that had Canadian made parts (there were a lot more than most Americans care to realize by the way), and Chinese made parts were out of the question as they were all bad investments (this was a Chinese investment firm - 3rd biggest in China at that time). U.S. engineers were THE engineers to kick off the electronic revolution - and to this day they are at the forefront of R&D. The only thing going for these Chinese companies is slave-labour and non-existant labour laws. Remove those, and ALL jobs will migrate back to the West.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I don't think people, even the news reporter, recognize that Foxconn already has operations here in the U.S. I'm not opposed to them expanding. They're already in Texas and... shoot... where's the other place. Anyway, they're here. I like @Mathos' idea of them picking up in MI. It'll put them close to A123 batteries, another stateside Chinese-owned operation that needs some help.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
This reminds me of "The Campaign" where they wanted to sell some land to China so they could use Chinese labor with chines rates but in the States.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]Come on in, but don't forget the safety nets![/citation]

Do you think the people who make the nets also commit suicide because of the horrible labor conditions? I wonder....

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So a few minimum wage jobs for people to put the last screw in pre-assembled products coming from China? Parts are still made in China. They're trying to sell this as if everything's been made here when it's probably just getting the last step down here (like glueing a screen to the bezel) in the states and call it Made in the USA. In the end the only one who wins here is Apple who will raise prices and put the blame on having US "jobs."

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The only reason why there are low paying jobs is because people are desperate and will take them, I don't see them putting up a plant in pro-labor and pro-union state, so hello SE.

compuservant

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
If they (Tesla Motors) can build the Tesla, the MotorTrend, Car of the Year in the US (yes, it is a high priced luxury car, but it is competing against similarly priced cars), I think they (Apple) can build a highend smartphone in the US for a competitive price. I think it all points to Apple finally using Liquidmetal Technology's injection molding for either the iPhone 5S or the iPhone 6. Foxconn is already having trouble producing iPhone 5's in China fast enough due to the complexity of the build.
It would be a great PR move and likely guaranty that all the US government agencies dump their BB's for iPhones.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Unless you have been in China, please do not assume or talk about it... US has way more abuses going on in their workplace using children for labor than China. All of the farmers, mom/pop stores, etc use their children all the time...

There is a reason why so many Chinese actually live in China, obviously our conditions are not that bad! Heck we even have a healthcare system in place to take care of our people!

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]Yay more low paying jobs![/citation]

In the condition where unemployment has run out or the job you get there earns more than unemployment would provide until unemployment benefits do run out, this would work...

bitmaiden

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
[citation][nom]psychotek71[/nom]i want my suicide nets to overclock and do they play crisis[/citation]
Was just thinking that.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Wow, Don't you love when people bitch & whine about "cheap Chinese products" & then STILL get mad when they want to move more jobs to the US? American's are retarded, I see them every single day. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.