active directory integrated zones

Hi,

at our company we currently have AD DNS integrated zones in a Win2k AD
forest. Our servers are currently out of warranty so we purchased newer
machines. We plan to upgrade the domain to 2k3. I have read many articles
and best practises and it seems to be a painless upgrade. However, I have
read that win2k3 handles DNS in a different manner than win2k. I am referring
to application partitions for DNS zones. What are the steps to carry out in
order to migrate the DNS zones from AD integrated into partitions in 2k3?
Note that we will be replacing all the current 2k servers one at a time so
there will be a time frame in which both win2k and win2k3 domain controllers
will work together. I hope I stated my doubt clearly.
Thanks in advance.

Stefano Olzai
4 answers Last reply
More about active directory integrated zones

    Hello Stefano,

    Thank you for choosing Microsoft and for using our Newsgroups. I have
    reviewed the information you have provided this far. My understanding of
    the issue is the following:

    You are planning to upgrade to WIn2k3 and are wondering how to migrate you
    DNS zones.

    RESOLUTION:
    ============

    When you upgrade you Win2k DNS servers to Win2k3, you simply go into the
    properties of the DNS zone and change how you want the DNS zone replicated.

    In Win2k the zone replicates to all DC's in the domain. Which will be the
    the same when you upgrade. If you want to change this you have the options
    to replicate with all DC's in the forest or to simply replicate with only
    other DNS servers in the domain or forest. When you make this change it
    will only replicate that parition with other DC's that have that same
    partition.

    Best Regards,

    James Raines
    Microsoft Corporation

    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------

    Thanks James,

    I am not sure if this would change how DNS should be configured but what we
    will be doing is promote two new DCs (win2k3) into the existing forest and
    then gradually demote the wink DCs. So there will not be an actual upgrade of
    the OS. So I guess my question is: after I promote the first w2k3 DC into
    the forest how should I configure DNS?

    Thanks for your time,

    Stefano Olzai

    ""James Raines"" wrote:

    > Hello Stefano,
    >
    > Thank you for choosing Microsoft and for using our Newsgroups. I have
    > reviewed the information you have provided this far. My understanding of
    > the issue is the following:
    >
    > You are planning to upgrade to WIn2k3 and are wondering how to migrate you
    > DNS zones.
    >
    > RESOLUTION:
    > ============
    >
    > When you upgrade you Win2k DNS servers to Win2k3, you simply go into the
    > properties of the DNS zone and change how you want the DNS zone replicated.
    >
    > In Win2k the zone replicates to all DC's in the domain. Which will be the
    > the same when you upgrade. If you want to change this you have the options
    > to replicate with all DC's in the forest or to simply replicate with only
    > other DNS servers in the domain or forest. When you make this change it
    > will only replicate that parition with other DC's that have that same
    > partition.
    >

    > Best Regards,
    >
    > James Raines
    > Microsoft Corporation

    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------

    When you introduce the WIn2k3 DC's you want to make the zones are
    configured to replicate with every DC in the domain. This is what Win2k
    does so this will make it consistent. Hope this helps!

    Best Regards,

    James Raines
    Microsoft Corporation

    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------

    Stefano,

    There is no need to change anything about your DNS config.
    You currently have AD integrated DNS zones.
    As long as the W2K3 servers see the domain zone when you make them DCs, they
    will not alter the config.
    The configuration you are concerned about comes into play when you create a
    new W2K3 domain that does not have DNS in it.

    Again, as you bring W2K3 DCs into the fold, they will inherit the current
    config. i.e. every DC in the domain holds a copy of the DNS zone.

    Now you can change this if you want. There are specific scenerios where
    this can be advantageous.
    Generally, the larger the forest and domain deployment, the more
    advantageous the new features of DNS will be to you.

    --
    Glenn L
    CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security

    ""James Raines"" <jamesraines@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When you introduce the WIn2k3 DC's you want to make the zones are
    > configured to replicate with every DC in the domain. This is what Win2k
    > does so this will make it consistent. Hope this helps!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > James Raines
    > Microsoft Corporation

    rights.