Unwanted folder displayed at startup

I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I login,
an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the top of the
customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen everything
continues normally.
How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about unwanted folder displayed startup

    Melvin Cotterill:
    "System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP, Windows 2000, or
    Windows NT 4.0"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q170086/
    --
    randwulf57

    "Melvin Cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I
    >login, an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the top
    >of the customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen everything
    >continues normally.
    > How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you

    ---

    Hello;
    Thank you for the quick response. I will have a go at it. I have a sinking
    feeling that when ever I muck about with the registry I invariably end
    re-installing XP. Argh...

    Melvin Cotterill wrote:
    > Hello;
    > Thank you for the quick response. I will have a go at it. I have a sinking
    > feeling that when ever I muck about with the registry I invariably end
    > re-installing XP. Argh...
    > "randwulf57" <randwulf57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Melvin Cotterill:
    >>"System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP, Windows 2000, or
    >>Windows NT 4.0"
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q170086/
    >>--
    >>randwulf57
    >>
    >>"Melvin Cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I
    >>>login, an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the top
    >>>of the customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen
    >>>everything continues normally.
    >>>How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you
    >>>

    >>---

    Backup the registry before you go mucking about :-)
    See the following article

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

    gls858

    Hi,

    Please see:

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    Also, start/run msconfig, and see if there is a line that loads /L:ENG. It
    comes from a SoundBlaster Audigy driver, and it can cause this problem as
    well. If it exists, use the registry fix from MVP Kelly:

    Line 260 on the right:

    It's far easier than mucking about in the registry. The problem can also be
    caused by other incorrectly built registry strings. So, if the first two
    steps don't help you, could you please export and post the contents of these
    keys in the registry:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
    at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
    save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
    editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
    should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
    this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
    contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
    examination.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Melvin Cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I
    >login, an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the top
    >of the customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen everything
    >continues normally.
    > How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you

    Hello;
    I used MVP Kelly's registry fix per your suggestion (line 260 therein). It
    worked fine. System is functioning normally now. Thanks for the help.
    Sincerely Melvin
    > Hi,
    >
    > Please see:
    >
    > System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >
    > Also, start/run msconfig, and see if there is a line that loads /L:ENG. It
    > comes from a SoundBlaster Audigy driver, and it can cause this problem as
    > well. If it exists, use the registry fix from MVP Kelly:
    >
    > Line 260 on the right:
    >
    > It's far easier than mucking about in the registry. The problem can also
    > be caused by other incorrectly built registry strings. So, if the first
    > two steps don't help you, could you please export and post the contents of
    > these keys in the registry:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this
    > one at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name,
    > then save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the
    > registry editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose
    > edit, it should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a
    > response to this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to
    > paste the contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
    > examination.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Melvin Cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
    >>I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I
    >>login, an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the top
    >>of the customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen
    >>everything continues normally.
    >> How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you

    You're most welcome, Melvin. Glad to have helped.

    --

    > Hello;
    > I used MVP Kelly's registry fix per your suggestion (line 260 therein). It
    > worked fine. System is functioning normally now. Thanks for the help.
    > Sincerely Melvin
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please see:
    >>
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> Also, start/run msconfig, and see if there is a line that loads /L:ENG.
    >> It comes from a SoundBlaster Audigy driver, and it can cause this problem
    >> as well. If it exists, use the registry fix from MVP Kelly:
    >>
    >> Line 260 on the right:
    >>
    >> It's far easier than mucking about in the registry. The problem can also
    >> be caused by other incorrectly built registry strings. So, if the first
    >> two steps don't help you, could you please export and post the contents
    >> of these keys in the registry:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this
    >> one at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name,
    >> then save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the
    >> registry editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop,
    >> choose edit, it should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy.
    >> Open a response to this post and click in the message text area. Hit
    >> ctrl+v to paste the contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send
    >> the post for examination.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Melvin Cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote in message
    >>>I am running Windows XP pro. It appears to bootup OK. However when I
    >>>login, an unwanted folder "C:\WINDOWS\system32" is displayed over the
    >>>top of the customary and usual screen.If I close the unwanted screen
    >>>everything continues normally.
    >>> How do I get rid of this unwanted screen at startup. Thank you

Microsoft Windows XP