DNS and Exchange 2000

Hi Gurus,

I've inherited a small network with 1 W2k server which runs AD, DNS and
Exchange 2000. The problem is with DNS errors when trying to send
email. Email will send to certain domains but not to others, at
certain times mail will queue and unless I have a specific forwarder
listed on my DNS it will not resolve website addresses for browsing
etc.
The queue on the SMTP virtual server for each domain show a retry state
and have errors including:

- "an SMTP protocol error occurred"
- "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt"
- "A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to
bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.
Contact youradministrator."
- "The connection was dropped by the remote host"

I tried entering the ISP's DNS servers (BT) to the forwarders list but
anything than a specific IP address of a random DNS server I came
accross on the Internet causes a loss of web and mail connectivity!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ.

--
csugn

In news:csugn.1e74o0@mail.webservertalk.com,
csugn <csugn.1e74o0@mail.webservertalk.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I've inherited a small network with 1 W2k server which
> runs AD, DNS and Exchange 2000. The problem is with DNS
> errors when trying to send email. Email will send to
> certain domains but not to others, at certain times mail
> will queue and unless I have a specific forwarder listed
> on my DNS it will not resolve website addresses for
> browsing etc.
> The queue on the SMTP virtual server for each domain show
> a retry state and have errors including:
>
> - "an SMTP protocol error occurred"
> - "The remote server did not respond to a connection
> attempt"
> - "A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the
> message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded
> between two recipients. Contact youradministrator."
> - "The connection was dropped by the remote host"
>
> I tried entering the ISP's DNS servers (BT) to the
> forwarders list but anything than a specific IP address
> of a random DNS server I came accross on the Internet
> causes a loss of web and mail connectivity!
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Have you verified the DNS server you are using for a forwarder supports
recursive lookups?
Some DNS servers that are used for hosting authoritative zones will have
recursion disable to help insure availability. Many of the large ISP's do
this, too and have other DNS servers for doing recursive lookups.

As for the mail being bounced between two servers, are you using a smart
host? Check the SMTP headers to see what servers the email is being bounced
between.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]