external DNS

Joe

Hello, I originally posted this in the IIS newsgroup but I guess they thought
it had nothing to do with IIS and booted me out ;)

So.. I will try here please?

I have another question for the DNS that I think only a person not an
article can help with.

Lets say I install and configure a Server 2003 DNS

1. How do I name the DNS server?
2. How would you go about this DNS server being recognized as a DNS on the
internet?

For example:
I use a registrar for all my domains. Well I use their DNS servers and have
the domains forwarded to my server IP IIS 6.0. Basic name resolution and my
ISP's give me my rDNS PTR so my mail server works just fine.

What has caused me to do this is the registrar site went down for about a 6
hour period and my webs did too.
So.. I cannot have this so... I wanted to setup my own DNS forwarding and
enter it into the registrar's DNS selection to be used.
e.g.
primary __________
Secondary________
optional__________
optional__________
optional___________
If I use my own DNS it would be effective and not go down but when I enter
the my DNS it gives an error invalid DNS server.(this was the last time I
tried to do this)
it has been six months since then and I though I would start here.
So........ I am trying to get my DNS into the loop here

Thanks soo0 much :)
Joe

In news:B3EF75CC-867B-48C2-8224-AFDABF1825F4@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello, I originally posted this in the IIS newsgroup but
> I guess they thought it had nothing to do with IIS and
> booted me out ;)
>

> So.. I will try here please?
>

> I have another question for the DNS that I think only a
> person not an article can help with.
>
> Lets say I install and configure a Server 2003 DNS
>
> 1. How do I name the DNS server?
> 2. How would you go about this DNS server being
> recognized as a DNS on the internet?
>
> For example:
> I use a registrar for all my domains. Well I use their
> DNS servers and have the domains forwarded to my server
> IP IIS 6.0. Basic name resolution and my ISP's give me my
> rDNS PTR so my mail server works just fine.
>
> What has caused me to do this is the registrar site went
> down for about a 6 hour period and my webs did too.
> So.. I cannot have this so... I wanted to setup my own
> DNS forwarding and enter it into the registrar's DNS
> selection to be used.
> e.g.
> primary __________
> Secondary________
> optional__________
> optional__________
> optional___________
> If I use my own DNS it would be effective and not go down
> but when I enter the my DNS it gives an error invalid DNS
> server.(this was the last time I tried to do this)
> it has been six months since then and I though I would
> start here. So........ I am trying to get my DNS into
> the loop here
>
> Thanks soo0 much :)
> Joe

You will need to register a DNS host name with your registrar using one of
your domains you plan to own and maintain indefinely. Most registrars allow
you to do this on your domain management web site. You can create the DNS
host with any name you choose, usually something like NS1.example.net, if
you own example.net. It can take 24 to 48 hours for it to propagate to the
gTLD servers, once it does, you can begin using it. This host is called the
glue record at the parent servers, a glue record is an "Address" record that
returns the IP of the host.
It is also recommended you create glue in your DNS server so it can resolve
its own name. To create glue for your DNS create an address (host) record
named NS1 in example.net with your public IP address. Then create an NS
record in example.net named NS1.example.net.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Joe

Thank you Kevin I do appreciate your time.

So... I have a domain named lodestarpublications.net at this time and it is
now on the web.

I will have to go back and re-register this same domain like this>>
NS1.Lodestarpublications.net

then wait 24 to 48 hours to use this name?

It is also recommended you create glue in your DNS server so it can resolve
> its own name. To create glue for your DNS create an address (host) record
> named NS1 in example.net with your public IP address. Then create an NS
> record in example.net named NS1.example.net
This I am not too sure of.

How does the actual machine get the FQDN of say...

NS1.Lodestarpublications.net

When I begin to configure the DNS I would have to put it's own name in their
also with all the other regular domain
names?

e.g add record Lodestarpublications.net
so in the config where is the NS and NS1 com in in place of the www?

So.. this DNS server will now resolve all my domains and it own?

I am looking at MS KB 324260 and I think this is what you are saying toward
the last part of the article

Thank you Kevin this has helped tremendously

Joe

In news:D56FA878-38EE-4045-8FBE-666CE1E6FA47@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thank you Kevin I do appreciate your time.
>
> So... I have a domain named lodestarpublications.net at
> this time and it is now on the web.
>
> I will have to go back and re-register this same domain
> like this>> NS1.Lodestarpublications.net

No, you don't have to register this as a new domain name, logon to Domain
Bank's Administrative website for this domain name. Find the link for
creating a DNS host, and create a DNS host named NS1 in the
Lodestarpublications.net account. If you cannot find the link e-mail Domain
Bank, telling them you want to create a DNS host record, asking for the link
to do this.
If they cannot provide this for you then transfer your domain to a registrar
that does.

> then wait 24 to 48 hours to use this name?

> It is also recommended you create glue in your DNS server
> so it can resolve
>> its own name. To create glue for your DNS create an
>> address (host) record named NS1 in example.net with your
>> public IP address. Then create an NS record in
>> example.net named NS1.example.net
> This I am not too sure of.
>
> How does the actual machine get the FQDN of say...
>
> NS1.Lodestarpublications.net
>
> When I begin to configure the DNS I would have to put
> it's own name in their also with all the other regular
> domain
> names?

Using the DNS management console, expand Forward Lookup Zones, open the zone
named lodestarpublications.net, create a new host named NS1, give it your
public IP address that you have forwarded port 53 UDP and TCP to the machine
DNS is on. double click the SOA record, in the Primary name server field
type NS1.Lodestarpublications.net.

Then Select the Name Server Tab, add a New NS record named
NS1.Lodestarpublications.net. and remove all other NS records that do not
have a zone for this domain and add NS records for any DNS servers that do
have a Secondary for this domain and its public IP address. Use
www.dnsreport.com to test your public DNS server configuration.
Some ISP's will host a secondary zone for you at no charge, there are also
other hosting companies that will do this for you. You will need at least
two DNS servers for each domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Joe

Thank you Kevin

This really is helping me stop the confusion!!

What is your advise on using another free (or small fee) secondary dns
service until I get mine up and running?

Most appreciated!
Joe

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:D56FA878-38EE-4045-8FBE-666CE1E6FA47@microsoft.com,
> Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Thank you Kevin I do appreciate your time.
> >
> > So... I have a domain named lodestarpublications.net at
> > this time and it is now on the web.
> >
> > I will have to go back and re-register this same domain
> > like this>> NS1.Lodestarpublications.net
>
> No, you don't have to register this as a new domain name, logon to Domain
> Bank's Administrative website for this domain name. Find the link for
> creating a DNS host, and create a DNS host named NS1 in the
> Lodestarpublications.net account. If you cannot find the link e-mail Domain
> Bank, telling them you want to create a DNS host record, asking for the link
> to do this.
> If they cannot provide this for you then transfer your domain to a registrar
> that does.
>

> > then wait 24 to 48 hours to use this name?

> > It is also recommended you create glue in your DNS server
> > so it can resolve
> >> its own name. To create glue for your DNS create an
> >> address (host) record named NS1 in example.net with your
> >> public IP address. Then create an NS record in
> >> example.net named NS1.example.net
> > This I am not too sure of.
> >
> > How does the actual machine get the FQDN of say...
> >
> > NS1.Lodestarpublications.net
> >
> > When I begin to configure the DNS I would have to put
> > it's own name in their also with all the other regular
> > domain
> > names?
>
> Using the DNS management console, expand Forward Lookup Zones, open the zone
> named lodestarpublications.net, create a new host named NS1, give it your
> public IP address that you have forwarded port 53 UDP and TCP to the machine
> DNS is on. double click the SOA record, in the Primary name server field
> type NS1.Lodestarpublications.net.
>
> Then Select the Name Server Tab, add a New NS record named
> NS1.Lodestarpublications.net. and remove all other NS records that do not
> have a zone for this domain and add NS records for any DNS servers that do
> have a Secondary for this domain and its public IP address. Use
> www.dnsreport.com to test your public DNS server configuration.
> Some ISP's will host a secondary zone for you at no charge, there are also
> other hosting companies that will do this for you. You will need at least
> two DNS servers for each domain.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Joe

Hello Kevin,
I have an update maybe you can direct me where to go now,

I emaoled Domain Bank and thie was the email I sent:
I have another question please to help with this.

If I setup my own DNS server would the SOA be me and not the domainbank
servers?

(I am trying to get this figured out as fast as possible)

How would I get my DNS server registered? Would I have to register
another domain name with you for instance:

DNS1.lodestarpublications.net

Then wait the 24-48 hours to propagate then add it to your DNS control
manager?

Ok if so can I use your dns primary and mine as a secondary?
Would your server replicate to mine in this case?
Thanks very much

This was my reply:
If your domain is no longer on our servers and you have your own it
would be up to you to set the SOA.

In order to use a nameserver for a .com name it must be registered with
the central registry. Their database is at
<http://www.nsiregistry.com/whois/> where all registered domain names,
nameservers, and IP address can be found.

Your nameservers are not yet registered with the central registry.
Please reply with the corresponding IP addresses and I will register
them for you. If you are looking to go that route. However you will
need two servers. Please let us know if you have any further questions

What do you think?

Thanks

In news:C20CF2BC-F7C3-4F2C-9313-187F61E4DD89@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello Kevin,
> I have an update maybe you can direct me where to go now,
>
> I emaoled Domain Bank and thie was the email I sent:
> I have another question please to help with this.
>
> If I setup my own DNS server would the SOA be me and not
> the domainbank servers?
>
> (I am trying to get this figured out as fast as possible)
>
> How would I get my DNS server registered? Would I have to
> register another domain name with you for instance:
>
> DNS1.lodestarpublications.net
>
> Then wait the 24-48 hours to propagate then add it to
> your DNS control manager?
>

> Ok if so can I use your dns primary and mine as a
> secondary?
> Would your server replicate to mine in this case?
> Thanks very much
>
> This was my reply:
> If your domain is no longer on our servers and you have
> your own it would be up to you to set the SOA.
>
> In order to use a nameserver for a .com name it must be
> registered with the central registry. Their database is at
> <http://www.nsiregistry.com/whois/> where all registered
> domain names, nameservers, and IP address can be found.
>
> Your nameservers are not yet registered with the central
> registry. Please reply with the corresponding IP
> addresses and I will register them for you. If you are
> looking to go that route. However you will need two
> servers. Please let us know if you have any further
> questions
>
> What do you think?

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=LODESTARPUBLICATIONS.NET

If you go to this link you will see that you already have problems with your
public DNS, Two of the servers listed on the public record answer lame
because they do not have a zone for your domain. This may be due to the fact
that even though they are listed at the parent .com gTLD servers, the zone
for the DNS servers that do answer do not have NS records for them. If you
contact the hosting provider that owns these two servers they may host a
secondary zone for you. Once you get your DNS listed you wolud create NS
records in your zone for these two servers then add them to the Allow zone
transfers list.

Yours would be the primary theirs would be secondary, then you would have
full control over the public zone.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Joe

Hello Kevin,

Nifty set of sites you have sent me to.

The IP nameservers that fail are not supposed to be in there.I used them in
the wrong sequence. I will have to go an fix this.
12.38.60.19
12.38.60.20

These are my ISP DNS's and only have my rDNS on them and my PTR that is why
they fail.

I am going to meke some changes here and give it the time to take affect and
see what happens.
But as for my owmn DNS I will have to get it up and running very soon.

Thanks for everything!!
I will be back when I get this ready to go
> [...]

> > questions
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=LODESTARPUBLICATIONS.NET
>
> If you go to this link you will see that you already have problems with your
> public DNS, Two of the servers listed on the public record answer lame
> because they do not have a zone for your domain. This may be due to the fact
> that even though they are listed at the parent .com gTLD servers, the zone
> for the DNS servers that do answer do not have NS records for them. If you
> contact the hosting provider that owns these two servers they may host a
> secondary zone for you. Once you get your DNS listed you wolud create NS
> records in your zone for these two servers then add them to the Allow zone
> transfers list.
>
> Yours would be the primary theirs would be secondary, then you would have

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> But as for my owmn DNS I will have to
> get it up and running very soon.

Don't forget to setup some secondary
DNS servers; you'll need to have at
least two DNS servers for your domain
an idea may be using your own DNS
as primary and the ISP DNS server
as secondaries; this will allow you to
have redundant DNS while keeping
the ability to directly handle your zone
data (and primary DNS)

Regards

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
http://italy.mvps.org

Joe

Thank you I have to contact my ISP and see if they will do this?
I asked once before but they said no

In news:9AEC1E54-64F1-4298-9971-2A36A15FB0C4@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thank you I have to contact my ISP and see if they will
> do this? I asked once before but they said no

They said no to hosting a secondary zone?
www.zodns.com will host a secondary at no charge, I've been using their
secondary DNS service for two years and have had few complaints. It seems
like it took about a week to set it up.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Joe

Thanks Kevin and Obiwan,

I just emailed my ISP and my registrar let's see what they say. If not then
I will have to go your suggested rout (which will probably happen)

I will keep intouch If any of you would want to contact me I am at
Info@tech1solutions.com

However I think this is a good thread for learning and will post all answers
here.

Thanks
Joe

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:9AEC1E54-64F1-4298-9971-2A36A15FB0C4@microsoft.com,
> Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Thank you I have to contact my ISP and see if they will
> > do this? I asked once before but they said no
>
> They said no to hosting a secondary zone?
> www.zodns.com will host a secondary at no charge, I've been using their
> secondary DNS service for two years and have had few complaints. It seems
> like it took about a week to set it up.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> They said no to hosting a secondary zone?
> www.zodns.com will host a secondary at no charge,
> I've been using their secondary DNS service for two
> years and have had few complaints. It seems like it
> took about a week to set it up.

Well .. seconded :) although imho it's strange
to read that the current DNS "provider" won't
work as secondary DNS ... at any rate.. I'd add
http://soa.granitecanyon.com/ to "zodns"; all in
all having some more secondary servers won't
hurt at all ..given that one configures them all
correctly :) also; having the DNS servers on
different IP blocks will help a little

Just a final note; if possible, lower the SOA
and in general the various TTL values before
starting your "zone transfer", then migrate the
zone to the new DNS servers, wait a little and
once the dust will settle down, reset the SOA
and other TTL to reasonable values, this will
help a little speeding up the "migration"

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
http://italy.mvps.org

obiwan

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

> Thanks Kevin and Obiwan,

You're welcome

> I just emailed my ISP and my registrar let's see
> what they say. If not then I will have to go your
> suggested rout (which will probably happen)

Hope at least your registrar will offer that kind
of DNS service .... at any rate, now you have
some alternatives ;-)

> I will keep intouch If any of you would want to contact
> me I am at Info@tech1solutions.com

Ok, mail address stored, in case you need to contact
me, just remove the NO@SPAM from the address :)

> However I think this is a good thread for learning and
> will post all answers here.

Yes please, I'm interested ! Uh, almost forgot, another
good alternative (not free) is http://www.quasar.net/
you may try contacting them and asking about their
DNS services, afaict they're reliable enough ;-)

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
http://italy.mvps.org

Joe

Thank you very much!!!

Joe

In news:EB4BEAD4-FECB-4EC2-95C0-49B4D4C62827@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thank you very much!!!
>
> Joe
>
> "ObiWan" wrote:
>

>>> Thanks Kevin and Obiwan,
>>
>> You're welcome
>>
>>> I just emailed my ISP and my registrar let's see
>>> what they say. If not then I will have to go your
>>> suggested rout (which will probably happen)
>>
>> Hope at least your registrar will offer that kind
>> of DNS service .... at any rate, now you have
>> some alternatives ;-)
>>

>>> I will keep intouch If any of you would want to contact
>>> me I am at Info@tech1solutions.com
>>
>> Ok, mail address stored, in case you need to contact
>> me, just remove the NO@SPAM from the address :)
>>
>>> However I think this is a good thread for learning and
>>> will post all answers here.
>>
>> Yes please, I'm interested ! Uh, almost forgot, another
>> good alternative (not free) is http://www.quasar.net/
>> you may try contacting them and asking about their
>> DNS services, afaict they're reliable enough ;-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> * ObiWan
>>
>> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> http://italy.mvps.org

Just to expand on ObiWan's comment, you need a minimum of two DNS servers
for each domain name, you can have more, IIRC it depends on the TLD your
domain is in, you can have up to seven Authoritative DNS servers, preferably
spread out geographically.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Joe

Ok update is good,

My registrar will let me use thier DNS as primary and I will have to find a
good secondary.

Now... Where can I find a secondary please?

was this in the previous post?

In news:77563586-86EB-4E40-9983-A137831E7609@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Ok update is good,
>
> My registrar will let me use thier DNS as primary and I
> will have to find a good secondary.
>
> Now... Where can I find a secondary please?
>
> was this in the previous post?

You will need to use your registrar's secondary, it is unlikely they will
allow zone transfers to a DNS server they do not control.
Beside all that, Domain Bank, if they are your registrar, already host DNS
for you.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Joe

Yes ,Kevin I understand that but I am trying to get another DNS in the loop
because they went down. Also I was informed that they would do this for me.
They are pretty flexible. I have 5 domains with them and will be an afilliate
soon. (if this works) remember Money talks

Thank you Kevin
I will let you know :)

Joe

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:77563586-86EB-4E40-9983-A137831E7609@microsoft.com,
> Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Ok update is good,
> >
> > My registrar will let me use thier DNS as primary and I
> > will have to find a good secondary.
> >
> > Now... Where can I find a secondary please?
> >
> > was this in the previous post?
>
> You will need to use your registrar's secondary, it is unlikely they will
> allow zone transfers to a DNS server they do not control.
> Beside all that, Domain Bank, if they are your registrar, already host DNS
> for you.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Joe

I am having a helluva time finding DNS service

"ObiWan" wrote:

> > Thanks Kevin and Obiwan,
>
> You're welcome
>
> > I just emailed my ISP and my registrar let's see
> > what they say. If not then I will have to go your
> > suggested rout (which will probably happen)
>
> Hope at least your registrar will offer that kind
> of DNS service .... at any rate, now you have
> some alternatives ;-)
>

> > I will keep intouch If any of you would want to contact
> > me I am at Info@tech1solutions.com
>
> Ok, mail address stored, in case you need to contact
> me, just remove the NO@SPAM from the address :)
>
> > However I think this is a good thread for learning and
> > will post all answers here.
>
> Yes please, I'm interested ! Uh, almost forgot, another
> good alternative (not free) is http://www.quasar.net/
> you may try contacting them and asking about their
> DNS services, afaict they're reliable enough ;-)
>
> --
>
> * ObiWan
>
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> http://italy.mvps.org

Joe

Well Obiwan and Kevin it is like this:

I have tried many servers and the original configuration is the only thing
that works until I get my own DNS but that will be next year.

I thank you for your help it really really did help learn and understand.

I will be back soon keep an eye out for me ;)

Joe