MTU's On Web Server

Joe

Hello,

I hear alot about MTU( Maximum Transfer Unit)

The default on Server 2003 is 1500 for ethernet shoulf this be left alone or
lowered?

anyone mess with this?

Thanks
Joe

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:25:04 -0700, Joe
<Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The default on Server 2003 is 1500 for ethernet shoulf this be left alone or
>lowered?

Unless you have a reason to change something, always leave it at the
default.

>anyone mess with this?

Lots. Some were even able to recover and get their systems working
again. :)

There are very few situations where changing the MTU makes sense in a
public server.

Jeff

In news:417b2c35.510962585@msnews.microsoft.com,
Jeff Cochran <jeff.nospam@zina.com> made a post then I commented below

>> anyone mess with this?
>
> Lots. Some were even able to recover and get their systems working
> again. :)

Well put!
:)

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Joe

Thanks I needed to know

In news:CED2E697-77E8-417A-81D0-A5205D154278@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Thanks I needed to know

No prob. The only time I see messing with this is when you have a MTU issue
on a PPPoE device (such as ADSL routers), and you would alter it on that
machine. Otherwise, leave the defaults on a Windows machine so you can sleep
better.

Ace

Joe

Yup just caused some problems with a few things I guess I was lucky to get my
stuff back in order

In news:0A52E221-CBA7-49AE-9AFB-1E090237A096@microsoft.com,
Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Yup just caused some problems with a few things I guess I was lucky
> to get my stuff back in order

Good thing!

Ace

I have learned one good thing in my time as a tech "If it works and is not
broken do not fix it.."
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:OCZcvLltEHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:0A52E221-CBA7-49AE-9AFB-1E090237A096@microsoft.com,
> Joe <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> > Yup just caused some problems with a few things I guess I was lucky
> > to get my stuff back in order
>

> Good thing!
>
> Ace

---

In news:%23HC$6h7uEHA.1520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Phillip T Craig <PhillipTCraig@insightbb.com> made a post then I commented
below
> I have learned one good thing in my time as a tech "If it works and
> is not broken do not fix it.."

That's a time-old saying that everyone should stick with!

:)

Ace