E6300+P5W DH DELUXE

shbullets

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Alrightly peepz, this sunday i've finalyl decided to upgrade a cpu rather then a gpu upgrade, as i posted some while ago. I think upgrading to conroe would be more future proof and i would have to invest little for components over time. So i'm planning to bring all the value i can get with the E6300, meaning i'm gonna overclock it to the max. I heard of the P5W's great reviews, and since its so upgradable cuz it supports crossfire and the upcoming quad cores. It'll help me save lots for the future imho.

Besides the cpu and mobo, my ram would be just a pair of corsair 2x512mb ram, DDR2 800mhz speeds. 4-4-4-12 timings if i recall. Some questions i want to ask you guys.

I'm using a stock coolermaster PSU 350Watt that came along with my centurion 5 case. If i plan to overclock the E6300, what is a good recommend PSU for that job? I'm planning to hit the speeds of a E6700 or E6800. Or is a psu upgrade even needed.

I'm also curious about the CPU cooling. Would i need to ugprade a cooler? Or is using the stock cooler that comes with the E6300 is good enough. Right now i have a "Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS7700" i believe, and it does support the s775 for intel. I can reuse that. I'm just wondering if the air cooling is good enough for oc'ing at high temps.

What's gonna be the lifespan of my E6300, once i overclock it and leave that by default every day when i use the pc. I average around 4 hrs everyday. Will the lifespan of my cpu be cut down by half? (A good estimate would be nice)

Thats all for now, thanks for the answers ;)

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
my thoughts.
PSU/cooler= no problem.
Conroes use less energy and dissapate/create less heat.
OC'ing to the 6700/6800 should be no problem and not fry your chip.
I really wouldn't worry.
If anything would case FSB and mobo heat.
If your getting 512x2 only because you plan on getting better timings 4-4-12 then sure.
However you can get 1gx2 for around 170 with decent ram.
2gb(1x2) while not standard quite yet is basically standard for gamers.
my $0.02

NightStriker

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That PSU might do the job, but I would definently reccomend getting a new one WHEN you get a new videa card, they are power hogs!. As for the lifespan thing as long as you take it up slow and dont FORCE your CPU to run higher than it can everything should be fine, Sometimes you cant achieve the same results others did with the same CPU, DONT force it!