Active Directory and DNS

Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed about
specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add zones and i will
get error messages stating they exist but idont see them anywhere.
3 answers Last reply
More about active directory

    "Matt" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed about
    > specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add zones and i
    will
    > get error messages stating they exist but idont see them anywhere.

    I am pretty sure that is a problem that has been seen before.

    If you try this search at Google (with exact error message)
    you should find the relevant articles:

    Google:
    [ site:microsoft.com 2000 dns "exact error message" ]

    You might substitute an * (asterisk) for any ONE small
    word like "on, of, the" (I haven't had much luck with
    multiple *'s in the same search.

    You can also try the web wide Google "Microsoft collection":

    [ microsoft: 2000 dns "exact error message" ]

    --
    Herb Martin

    Hi Matt,

    I am sure you configured a intregrated zone and the old zone is still in the
    Active Directory.
    Follow the steps:
    1. Open dsa.msc
    2. Click view and select Advanced...
    3. Expand your domain then system
    4. Expand Microsoft DNS
    5. If you have more than one zone you will see a CNF folder
    6. Delete the old zone
    7. If you have more than one domain controller force a replication among them
    8. Try to recreate the zone using dnsmgmt.msc

    In news:uEKhbMhtEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Matt <a@a.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed
    > about specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add
    > zones and i will get error messages stating they exist but idont see
    > them anywhere.

    You can use ADSI Edit to view AD Integrated zone data. Now, if this is
    WIndows 2003, then it's a different story, since you also have the
    application partitions where the zone may exist. If you have a mixed
    environment (2000 and 2003), you need to be careful on how you store the
    zone. If you created it as AD integrated in 2000, but on a 2003 machine, you
    opted to store it in 'All DNS servers in the AD domain" (which would be the
    app DomainDnsZones partition), then I can see where you are getting th
    conflict. You can use ntdsutil to view these partitions on a 2003 machine.

    Please provide us with more specific info about your config to better help.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.