Active Directory and DNS

matt

Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed about
specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add zones and i will
get error messages stating they exist but idont see them anywhere.

"Matt" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed about
> specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add zones and i
will
> get error messages stating they exist but idont see them anywhere.

I am pretty sure that is a problem that has been seen before.

If you try this search at Google (with exact error message)
you should find the relevant articles:

Google:
[ site:microsoft.com 2000 dns "exact error message" ]

You might substitute an * (asterisk) for any ONE small
word like "on, of, the" (I haven't had much luck with
multiple *'s in the same search.

You can also try the web wide Google "Microsoft collection":

[ microsoft: 2000 dns "exact error message" ]

--
Herb Martin

Hi Matt,

I am sure you configured a intregrated zone and the old zone is still in the
Active Directory.
Follow the steps:
1. Open dsa.msc
2. Click view and select Advanced...
3. Expand your domain then system
4. Expand Microsoft DNS
5. If you have more than one zone you will see a CNF folder
6. Delete the old zone
7. If you have more than one domain controller force a replication among them
8. Try to recreate the zone using dnsmgmt.msc

In news:uEKhbMhtEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Matt <a@a.com> made a post then I commented below
> Is there a way to view what information Active directory has stoed
> about specific DNZ zones. why i ask is that i have tried to add
> zones and i will get error messages stating they exist but idont see
> them anywhere.

You can use ADSI Edit to view AD Integrated zone data. Now, if this is
WIndows 2003, then it's a different story, since you also have the
application partitions where the zone may exist. If you have a mixed
environment (2000 and 2003), you need to be careful on how you store the
zone. If you created it as AD integrated in 2000, but on a 2003 machine, you
opted to store it in 'All DNS servers in the AD domain" (which would be the
app DomainDnsZones partition), then I can see where you are getting th
conflict. You can use ntdsutil to view these partitions on a 2003 machine.

Please provide us with more specific info about your config to better help.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.