Which AMD CPU would you recommend

miecz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Which AMD CPU would you recommend - low price 200, high price 380. I want value. No intel - boycotting the company.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Get a Core 2 Duo E6600 - best price/performance CPU in that price range. Oh yeah, you don't want to be a smart consumer, I didn't notice your unreasonable, quasi flame bait comments in your post and signature. :roll:

I’m boycotting cheese can anyone recommend a good source of calcium? :roll:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Get a Core 2 Duo E6600 - best price/performance CPU in that price range. Oh yeah, you don't want to be a smart consumer, I didn't notice your unreasonable, quasi flame bait comments in your post and signature. :roll:

I’m boycotting cheese can anyone recommend a good source of calcium? :roll:
TUMS :wink: hehehe

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i'd say if you dont wanna go intel get either the 3800 X2 EE SFF or the 4600+ EE. Both are amazingly efficient and should save you money on the electricity bills. Much less heat than Core2 as well. Dont expect them to overclock phenomenaly though. they should OC at about whatever level the normal parts would.
Its quite funny how the Intel fanboys jump on these threads to say get Core2. There are ppl that just dont wanna buy Intel get over it. Core2 is an excellent processor but that doesnt make A64 crap overnight. Additionally if AMD holds true to their promise to make AM3 cpus backwards compatible AMD is better value anyway, because you'll be able to latter sitch to K8L part without buying anything else.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
i'd say if you dont wanna go intel get either the 3800 X2 EE SFF or the 4600+ EE. Both are amazingly efficient and should save you money on the electricity bills. Much less heat than Core2 as well. Dont expect them to overclock phenomenaly though. they should OC at about whatever level the normal parts would.
Its quite funny how the Intel fanboys jump on these threads to say get Core2. There are ppl that just dont wanna buy Intel get over it. Core2 is an excellent processor but that doesnt make A64 crap overnight. Additionally if AMD holds true to their promise to make AM3 cpus backwards compatible AMD is better value anyway, because you'll be able to latter sitch to K8L part without buying anything else.

Can I be the first to say, shut up idiot. Notice the lack of sarcasm in that statement, then notice the large sarcasm in my first post.

Let's be honest, it's a terrible excuse for a thread. Hey everyone I don’t want to buy Intel, so, I have $200 to $380 and I want a new CPU, what do you think I should get?

Buy the best CPU you can afford now, from AMD. Wow, that was really hard. I must write down these gem's and sell them off to multinational companies as they will be astounded with my decision making.

*Rant on* (yes it was off before)

So shut up fanboy raven, some of us aren't like yourself and instead make our purchasing decisions rationally. I should really state the number of AMD systems I've either built or have owned in the family.

It's like you have to justify why you aren't a fan of a company, simply because you state to the best of your knowledge they have the best product line at this moment in time. For nearly 2 years I told everyone to go AMD, they were the best, fantastic products.

Blah blah blah, AM3 will be backward compatible, and so if AMD aren't lying you can slot a super powerful chip into an outdated motherboard which doesn't support DDR3 or allows the chip to function at its fullest potential. That's definitely a reason to get AMD today.

And yeah, while you’re at it, lets save a small amount on our electricity bill each year, because a 65W CPU is outrageously power hungry. Damn, you are pathetic.

Raven, here's what you need to do. Get a pad, a real nice big one, with a pink cover on the front. Gently massage that front cover while you think of what to write. Now, in your best handwriting, start the letter off like this...

Dear AMD,

I love you so much because...

You can fill in the rest of the trash, but I just hope for the love of god it keeps you entertained for long enough.

Did I say shut up already? I know it's rather low brow, but fanBOYS don't deserve or require anything more.

*rant off* (for now)

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Based on this review, I'd get an A64 4200+ AM2.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/373/1/

Benchmarks are in the 2nd review of this CPU.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/373/2/

I read that OC'ing to 2.5Ghz is common though you may get lucky and reach as high as 3.0 Ghz. The article ran into stability problems over 2.9 GHz but mentioned that some people did get lucky to get the 4200+ to 3.0 GHz. Even though you'll have to shell out another 50-60 bucks on the Zalman CNPS 9500 heatsink that's used in the article to go from 2.2 to 2.9 GHz, I'd say it's worth it as it would be cheaper to do this than to buy a 4600+.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Can I be the first to say, shut up idiot. Notice the lack of sarcasm in that statement, then notice the large sarcasm in my first post.

Let's be honest, it's a terrible excuse for a thread. Hey everyone I don’t want to buy Intel, so, I have $200 to $380 and I want a new CPU, what do you think I should get?

Buy the best CPU you can afford now, from AMD. Wow, that was really hard. I must write down these gem's and sell them off to multinational companies as they will be astounded with my decision making.

So shut up fanboy raven, some of us aren't like yourself and instead make our purchasing decisions rationally. I should really state the number of AMD systems I've either built or have owned in the family.

It's like you have to justify why you aren't a fan of a company, simply because you state to the best of your knowledge they have the best product line at this moment in time. For nearly 2 years I told everyone to go AMD, they were the best, fantastic products.

Blah blah blah, AM3 will be backward compatible, and so if AMD aren't lying you can slot a super powerful chip into an outdated motherboard which doesn't support DDR3 or allows the chip to function at its fullest potential. That's definitely a reason to get AMD today.

And yeah, while you’re at it, lets save a small amount on our electricity bill each year, because a 65W CPU is outrageously power hungry. Damn, you are pathetic.

Raven, here's what you need to do. Get a pad, a real nice big one, with a pink cover on the front. Gently massage that front cover while you think of what to write. Now, in your best handwriting, start the letter off like this...

Dear AMD,

You can fill in the rest of the trash, but I just hope for the love of god it keeps you entertained for long enough.

Did I say shut up already? I know it's rather low brow, but fanBOYS don't deserve or require anything more.

*rant off* (for now)

Dude!!! We're in the same boat it seems..lol.

We both owe no allegiance to any company and preffer to purchase the best performing product at a given price range.

;)

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Yes Evil, we are both sensible, rational people who make normal financial decisions. How do the others cope? hehe

Can't answer you..lol. Some people would rather sacrifice there hard earned money obtaining a product of lesser quality just to satisfy there own brand loyalty. What these people need to remember is that if roles were reversed and there favorite company had the chance to sell out all there assets leaving there customers out in the cold for support due to a good shareholders buyout proposal.... they would do it. Just look at 3Dfx.

First thing people need to figure out is there price range, then research to see which product offers the best features, performance etc for that given price range. If you do that currently, a Core 2 setup will come out ontop of an AM2 setup no matter the price range.

I could have gotten an FX-62 rahter then my x6800 for the same price (give or take $100). For the same money my decision got me a 30% boost (not counting the overclock) over the FX-62.

;)

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I couldn't agree more! That is exactly how I went about getting this system I have, although it isn't nearly as impressive as yours (and I'm being a chicken with overclocking right now as the motherboard is annoying me). I had a price range and tried to get the best available - all round - for the money I had worked very hard to get.

I just really can't understand doing it any other way. Right now, my pc is acting as a server managing hundreds of connections, I'm playing a fully 3D game, listening to songs on WMP10, got some office ap's open, browsing the net and responding here, I'm checking my email to lol! :roll: This isn't including when I had a movie on earlier instead of the music, and I even compressed large backup file for storage without the slightest struggle.

The thing is, there is not a hint of lag on the machine at all, program switching is instant, even to the game which is running in windows. I simply did not get that when using an X2, the entire system was not as fast under heavy multitasking situations. As for games, don't get me started, anything that is not strictly GPU limited (RTS's, games with heavy AI, cpu based physics etc), just wow, so much better. I'm sorry it turned into a why my PC is so kick ass, but I am pleased with my purchase lol

verndewd, I love that, "friggen boycott :!: :!: what a tool. :roll: "

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

Hey you dont agree with me fine. I dont see where i personally attacked you, smartass. So f*** off

I actually explained why imo getting an AMD processor can have value, what did you add to this thread other than sarcasm and now also stupidity.

Thats beside the point. Miezc asked what the best AMD processors at that price range are. As far as i can tell that excludes Intel processors. You have to justify why you brought Intel processors up because the topic excluded Intel. This might have even been a flamebait. Even so i added something usefull. You on the other hand...
You do realize that not even Conroe can fully utlilize DDR2 bandwidth right now, and i doubt a dual-core K8L will either. Also DDR3 is unlickely to show any significant performance benefits in its first incarnation just like any other new RAM tech that has been introduced the last few years. At best it will give you a slight bump and braging rights. As for mobos im quite confident that while not the best option in a year or so NF5 mobos will definetly hold their own just like NF4 mobos can still perform decently. Whats more NF5 mobos have been designed more with future tech in mind than current(6+ sata only one ide and one or more pci-e x1). the number of device interfaces that are currently used by only a few devices is proof of that. Finally ppl that want value dont need 100% performance they just need a good system. Can you in all honesty say that an AM2 mobo + K8L will not have decent performance? It might not be 100% but it will be an upgrade and not everyone can buy a whole new pc every 2 years, but most ppl can afford to shell out 200-250 more to get a good upgrade on their pc. Hell AM3 might not come out till DDR3 becomes mainstream. That is sometime in 2008. So K8L might originally even be an AM2 chip. Will it be better than 2007 Core2? Who knows but the path is there.
Lets get this straight
X2 4600 = 89TDP max at 75% it is 67
Core2 is 65W TDP at 75% at 100% that makes it... 87. Now ad the memory controller to that...
X2 4600 is 65W max at 75% that is 49W
the x2 3800 SFF is 35W max at 75% that is 27W.

So no Core2 is not the powerhungry cpu late P4s were but the EE cpus will save you money. particularly if someone runs his pc 24/7 and has it idle a lot. That Cool and Quiet gets the CPU to a lower frequency than Speedstep also contributes to that.

Dear AMD,

*rant off* (for now)
To sum this all up if you want performance, yes Core2 is the better option. But that was not the f***ing question. And there is still value for AMD processors even if intel has the perfomance/price ratio right now.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Which AMD CPU would you recommend - low price 200, high price 380. I want value. No intel - boycotting the company.

For which pin-out?
Is it for work or games?

If it is for games and a 939 get the Optron 146 $200 boxed and less as a OEM. They are 2Ghz stock but all the ones I have run @ 3Ghz and with stock volts.

If you are willing to wait untill Q1 of 2007 AMD will be selling it's 4-core CPU's with the new ZRAM for cashe memory which are said to use the same power draw as the currant dual core CPU's.....why any gamer would ever use that many cores this decade is beyound me.

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
verndewd said:
smartass. So f*** off

No factual basis.but i thought the F word was super intelligent. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
well when someone verbally attacks me i tend to return the favor. :twisted:
You cant talk facts about future tech, you can only speculate. Many considered that Core2 would be compatible with all LGA775 mobos a fact and look what happened. :p

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
AMD Opteron 165... $265(last time i looked) best bang for your buck in terms of AMD CPU's as it can easily overclock to FX-62 specs or happily run at its stock setting

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
raven, due to the pointlessness of the quote's, I can't really quote line by line back, it's going to get messy so here goes without them (follow as best you can).

You started this silly, "Its quite funny how the Intel fanboys jump on these threads to say get Core2". Seeing by at that point, I was the only one to mention buying a C2D. What ticked me off was the fact that you tried to indicate I was somehow an Intel fanboy. I’m not a fan of Intel and I'm not a boy, or a man for that matter. That brought out the response, so I suggest you think about why I "personally attacked you". Which I didn't, I don’t even know you, I just flamed you nicely.

Saying F*** off is really bringing your post down quite a bit. It's pretty hard to pick any more holes in someone’s post when they say that. It just showed I got to you and made you angry, which is also silly. This isn't a big deal, it's just a forum where you are hardly likely to ever meet the person you are talking to.

Yes I added sarcasm to the thread, because it was a terrible thread. What don't you understand about that? IF, and it is a big IF, he wanted the lowest power rating possible and good performance, he would have said. The fact is he said he wanted value, which those low power CPU's don't really give as they are highly overpriced for what they are. The whole question was just really pathetic, hence my response to him.

Additionally, he didn't say what he wanted it for, other than a price and it couldn't be Intel. It's good that you brought figures to the table, it is too late for me to consider checking them, I'll just assume they are correct. The fact is though, they don't really constitute value for money unless as you said, you leave your PC on 24/7, which is fine, but he didn't indicate that. Even so it would require a considerable amount of time to get back any savings.

But there are more problems with this idea. You may get price per watt eventually, but you still don't get price per performance, not even close. Real value for money would actually be a basic X2 3800+ or an E6300. These chips come in at around about £100 and £130 in the UK, obviously the E6300 is a far better chip but he didn't specify that price range even.

Do you see my point in being derogatory to him? My flame towards you stands tall and proud, after all *in a childish voice* you started it. I would like to disagree with your big post but, I actually agree with most things there, even the smartass bit. Now that bit is over, a slightly more serious response to the tech bit.

I don't honestly believe that AM2 + K8L will offer value for money. K8L will NOT be cheap, and even if it is competitively priced (which it might not be if it kicks Conroes butt), what you are suggesting is not value for money. Getting C2D in the near future when prices completely stabilise will be great value for money. Then again, how I quantify that is a bit difficult...

I'll go with the total price point and performance. Right now, an E6300 and E6600 are IMHO the best things on the market for getting value for money and a kick-ass PC all round. Assuming K8L comes along and is better than C2D by a moderate amount with an AM2 board, the overall cost of the machine is put up quite a bit. If he pays out $350 for a good AM2 CPU now, and maybe the same for K8L, that's a big $700. I will still be using C2D on my main machine and that will be half the price. Where is the value of that? Even if K8L is better, it most likely wont destroy C2D, so how is double the cost value for money? I don't perceive it to be.

Now if you can respond without calling names, I'll respond in kind and not flame at all. I'll continue the discussion rationally, although I do believe the thread is most likely dead.

raven3x7

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Icandy i called you a fanboy(usubstantiated as that might have been), not an idiot. Besides the Intel fanboy comment wasnt really directed at you or at least not only you. I just vented my frustration over the fact that whenever anyone asks about AMD cpus, there is a constant crowd of ppl telling them to get Core2 instead. Understandably many actually have the posters benefit in mind, but when someone asks specifically for AMD or Intel i presume they have their reasons and i find it unlikely that anyone on the TH forums doesnt know how good Core2 is. Now if they're delusional and think K8 is better thats their problem. :twisted:
As for the original poster, it was quite a useless post indeed as he/she could have gotten that info from the dozen or so similar threads on this very forum. In fact its most probably a flamebait.

I still think that the x2 3800+ sff at about 200$ is great value for money. the E6300 beats it hands down and can be overclocked nicely to get a performance boost in the future but 35W max TDP is amazing if you care about power consumption. I dont think the E6300 beats the x2 4200 at price performance at stock. The mobos are just too expensive right now. When nf5 and ati boards come out that might change though. The E6600 is king of the hill hands down though. This has to one of the best bargains in CPU history. Intel of course is doing this because they are in danger of loosing enough marketshare to loose control of the distribution channels. Personally i want that to happen because fair competition is good for me as a consumer. I wont consider buying Intel until that happens. Of course Core2 PCs will make mine look like a very expensive toaster but i can live with that. i hope... :wink:
ps the quotes were a bad idea.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Raven, I agree with just about every word you said. I would respond further but I am literaly fading here at half past midnight. I'll respond further tomorow and I actually enjoyed your response so :p

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
hey man ice and raven are fighting soryy about that
they are tying up your post/question

do you want 939 or am2?
if 939 and the price range you quoted then then a x2 would be fine
you would have dual core. for up to 380$ the x2 4800 would be good
single core is not dead yet but the best single core 939 cpu
for value is the 3700 sandy core.

it depends on what you do with your computer.
if its gaming the 3700 is the way to go for 100$
vista and dx10 wont be out for 6 months or more

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Can you tell us why you're boycotting Intel? Is it politics? Maybe there's a different forum where that discussion is more appropriate but I'm really interested in finding out.

Weeble

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
If I am not mistaken he is one of the posters who salts threads with random accusations that Intel, variously, are responsible for everything bad in the Middle East and helping to cause world war because they 'support wars, terrorism and violence' and because their taxes go to fund these things they have no moral values (I assume he pays no tax on the basis that that way no Government can do anything with 'his' money).

He's entitled to his view of course, but what a very strange way to decide what CPU to buy. Moral judgements of this sort about corporations tend to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.