Refresher course Need some questions answered

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
ok what exactly do I need to make sure that I can get into my bios. I have everything hooked to my mobo except the drives. do I need a hard disk drived hooked up to get to BIOS or does come next. Its been a while since I assembled a comp.

so all I have in my mobo is the chip, the Vid card, the ram and the CPU and the chassis fans. My mobo starts up for about 3-4 seconds then powers off.

any insight on this problem?

Mondoman

Splendid
Please list the brand and model of *all* your hardware. Also, are you doing this minimal test with the MB etc outside the case, or already installed in the case?

PS - you don't need a drive attached to get to the BIOS. If you could describe in detail *exactly* what happens, it will help.

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I have the m32n-sli wireless delux with 2 sticks of corsair DDR2 XMS ram at 800mhz, also a ASUS 512 Silent VId card. It is in the case right now. My next test will to start from scratch.

basically I press the power button and everything looks good for 3-4 seconds then power off.

side note: with no Vid card power off is instant. Is that normal?

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
sorry

AM2 AMD X2 4600
800MHZ 2Gb of corsair XMS DDR2 800mhz ram
antec trupower 550w
stock HSF with AMD x2
case is antec P180
EN7600GS SILENT vid card
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB SATA

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Try it like the others have said, motherboard outside the case on carboard or some other non conductive material (NOT carpet).

Use only motherboard, cpu, one stick of ram (slot one or A1) and video card. Hook up the speaker from the motherboard to the case. Try to power up again.

Did you install the cpu yourself? If so check if any of the pins are bent. make sure ram is seated correctly. Make sure video card is seated correctly and has any required power cables attached. Make sure you've attached the 4 pin power connector for the cpu (just above top pci-e slot).

Clear cmos by removing battery and moving the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 30 seconds.

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
My 4 pin power connector is connected to my mainboard power... should I also have a seperate 4 pin power connector going to my PSU?

never had a PCI express board this is new stuff for me.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
With the bare minimum that we have suggested you should only be using 2 or 3 power connectors...

24 pin to motherboard
4 pin to motherboard (for the cpu)
6 pin to pci-e card (if required, I looked at a picture of the card and it looks like it doen't need it)

Double check to make sure all the components are seated in their slots correctly...

Also make sure the cpu fan 3 pin power connector is connected to the motherboard.

xxenclavexx

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks alot man! I will try this tonight, I looked for the connector in my PSU box but didnt see one. do you think you can buy one seperatly?