DNS Error

I'm getting this error when running dcpromo

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

The test for dynamic DNS update support returned:
"DNS server failure."
(error code 0x0000232A RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE)

The RCODE_... errors usually occur when you have a "single-label" domain -- which is to say your Active Directory domain name is
something like "company" instead of "company.local" or "company.com". I'm guessing that is your case.

Single label domains cause syntactic confusion inside Windows between DNS domain names and NetBIOS-type names, and so starting with
SP4 single-label AD domains have been kind of 'deprecated' (ie somewhere between outlawed and grandfathered.)

Never fear: there is a workaround if you don't feel like rebuilding your domain with a dotted name right now -- though that is where
you eventually are heading. Try this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826743

If this isn't your situation or that doesn't work, feel free to post back.

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"stopnowgo" <stopnowgo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15D54469-99A8-419B-A5BD-6CBDC2A9DDA5@microsoft.com...
> I'm getting this error when running dcpromo
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> The test for dynamic DNS update support returned:
> "DNS server failure."
> (error code 0x0000232A RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE)

In news:15D54469-99A8-419B-A5BD-6CBDC2A9DDA5@microsoft.com,
stopnowgo <stopnowgo@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> I'm getting this error when running dcpromo
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> The test for dynamic DNS update support returned:
> "DNS server failure."
> (error code 0x0000232A RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE)

A few things can cause this. Since you didn;'t provide any info about your
config, it will be difficult to guess. If you can supply an ipconfig /all,
that would be helpful for starters.

The one thing I am leaning on is that you are using your ISP's DNS server
address in IP properties. If so, remove it, and only use itself as the DNS
address. Install DNS or let dcpromo install it for you.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.