Canon i850 swapping from compatible back to original cartr..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 4, 2005 12:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Hi,

I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?

Any advice welcome thansk.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:04:58 PM

<wrreisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>
> Any advice welcome thansk.

Two (3 at the most) Deep Cleanings/Head Refreshes is all that should be
needed to purge and of the other ink from the nozzles.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:48:59 PM

wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>
> Any advice welcome thansk.

Not a lot of test pages. More likely 1 - 2 full sized photos with lots of
different colors. What do you mean non compatible cartridges? Are you getting
poor color match?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:49:00 PM

" Stevelee" <" Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>
>> Any advice welcome thansk.
>>

> Not a lot of test pages. More likely 1 - 2 full sized photos with lots of
> different colors. What do you mean non compatible cartridges? Are you
> getting
> poor color match?

Printing images to flush ink from the nozzles would not be the optimum way
as you will not get equal firing on all nozzles.
Using the Head Refresh function in the Maintenance tab of driver would be
preferred method to insure all nozzles are flushed equally.
July 4, 2005 8:16:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Go onto the MIS web site and download the purge files. Use the one for the
number of carts your printer has. Using the cleaning cycles adds to the
waste ink "tank" and adds a few more cycles to the counter in the printer
that eventually disables the printer until the waste tank is cleaned and/or
the counter is reset.

Depending on how close to OEM colors the compatable carts are, you may be
getting as close as you will with the OEM carts. Setting the color to
manual instead of automatic, you can tweak OEM or non-OEM prints. Even with
OEM carts each of the Canon printers has a "bias" toward certain colors.
The i960, my printer, leans slightly to Magenta. On some pictures of
people with a bit more red in their skin tones I back off the Magenta
slightly. My refilled carts with MIS inks compare favorably with the OEM
colors in side-by-side photo print comparisons.

<wrreisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>
> Any advice welcome thansk.

July 5, 2005 4:19:32 PM

wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>
> Any advice welcome thansk.

You may have wasted your money on the oem's and probably won't see any
difference at all.
I use only compatibles in my i9900 and I can't see any difference.
Neither can my clients.

Frank
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:09:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

From what you are saying (admitting) is that aftermarket carts leave a
whole lot to be desired even if they do not clog the printer.

wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>
>Any advice welcome thansk.

July 5, 2005 11:09:26 PM

measekite wrote:
> From what you are saying (admitting) is that aftermarket carts leave a
> whole lot to be desired even if they do not clog the printer.

I see your reading comprehension hasen't improved one bit.
Frank
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:11:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Look at all of the bullshit noname inks cause.

PC Medic wrote:

>" Stevelee" <" Stevelee"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>>>need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>>>bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>>>previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>>
>>>Any advice welcome thansk.
>>>

>>Not a lot of test pages. More likely 1 - 2 full sized photos with lots of
>>different colors. What do you mean non compatible cartridges? Are you
>>getting
>>poor color match?
>>

>Printing images to flush ink from the nozzles would not be the optimum way
>as you will not get equal firing on all nozzles.
>Using the Head Refresh function in the Maintenance tab of driver would be
>preferred method to insure all nozzles are flushed equally.

July 5, 2005 11:11:01 PM

measekite wrote:

> Look at all of the bullshit noname inks cause.

What bullshit?
Please explain the problem the OP stated they are causing him.
Frank
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in

> Look at all of the bullshit noname inks cause.

Far less bullshit than you've caused in this ng. In other words, GET LOST
TROLL!
July 5, 2005 11:11:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Thus spake measekite:

> Look at all of the bullshit noname inks cause.

Many people use generic inks with no problems. Some people use them and have
clogging issues. From my (Google) experience, I find that most users of Epson
printers have more problems with 3rd party inks than do users of Canon
printers.

FWIW, here is a test of Canon-compatible inks comparing their color, density,
and fading.

I have no involvement in this test.

-----

You may know this, but it bears repeating. While some 3rd party inks are very
close -- arguably "better" -- than the OEM Canon ink colors, nothing resists
fading like the Canon inks.

There is an archived thread in the dpreview.com forum about this. Someone
took quite a lot of effort to create sheets of ink samples, Canon inks
side-by-side with several 3rd party inks, and immediately compared the
colors. Many looked very close, some identical to the Canon inks.

Then he put these aside and went back 6 months (I think) later. All had
faded, to some degree. The Canon inks faded least. Fading differed on plain
paper vs. glossy.

I put up a jpg image of this ink test (glossy paper) here:

http://k.domaindlx.com/magdesh/bci6%20compare%20chart%2...

The plain paper test sheet is here:

http://k.domaindlx.com/magdesh/bci6%20compare%20chart%2...

(The majority of each color sample was covered; a small corner was left
exposed to daylight.)

The forum thread is here:

http://tinyurl.com/3junx

Good luck,
Dave

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:13:13 PM

Burt wrote:

>Go onto the MIS web site and download the purge files. Use the one for the
>number of carts your printer has. Using the cleaning cycles adds to the
>waste ink "tank" and adds a few more cycles to the counter in the printer
>that eventually disables the printer until the waste tank is cleaned and/or
>the counter is reset.
>
>Depending on how close

:-D

> to OEM colors the compatable carts are, you may be
>getting as close as you will with the OEM carts.

:-D

>Setting the color to
>manual instead of automatic, you can tweak OEM or non-OEM prints. Even with
>OEM carts each of the Canon printers has a "bias" toward certain colors.
>The i960, my printer, leans slightly to Magenta. On some pictures of
>people with a bit more red in their skin tones I back off the Magenta
>slightly. My refilled carts with MIS inks compare favorably

:-D

>with the OEM
>colors in side-by-side photo print comparisons.
>
><wrreisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>>need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>>bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>>previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>
>>Any advice welcome thansk.

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:57:01 PM

Frank wrote:

> wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>
>> Any advice welcome thansk.
>>

> You may have wasted your money on the oem's and probably won't see any
> difference at all.
> I use only compatibles in my i9900 and I can't see any difference.
> Neither can my clients.
>
> Frank, the AfterMarket ChurchGoer

Do not listen to this jerk. OEM inks are the way to go with one exception.

If your printload is very high like a set of carts a week or something
high then it may be worth taking a chance on a clog. Once you get a
clog you can try to clean the head. You can also replace the printer
and you get a new head and a new set of OEM carts.
July 5, 2005 11:57:02 PM

measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>>> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>>> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>>> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>>
>>> Any advice welcome thansk.
>>>

>> You may have wasted your money on the oem's and probably won't see any
>> difference at all.
>> I use only compatibles in my i9900 and I can't see any difference.
>> Neither can my clients.
>>
>> Frank, the AfterMarket ChurchGoer
>

> Do not listen to this jerk. OEM inks are the way to go with one exception.
>
> If your printload is very high like a set of carts a week or something
> high then it may be worth taking a chance on a clog. Once you get a
> clog you can try to clean the head. You can also replace the printer
> and you get a new head and a new set of OEM carts.

Don't listen to this moron who is an idiot. He has one printer, an ip4000.
I alone have six printers in my personal office. HP's, Canon and
Epson's. I use only after market carts and never have any problems.
He has never, ever used any after market ink.
So who's word are you going to trust?
I think the answer is obvious.
Frank
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:57:44 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> Look at all of the bullshit noname inks cause.
>

> That is no bullshit?
> I agree with Measekite
> Frank
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:35:20 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

>>> You may have wasted your money on the oem's and probably won't see
>>> any difference at all.
>>> I use only compatibles in my i9900 and I can't see any difference.
>>> Neither can my clients.
>>>
>>> Frank, the AfterMarket ChurchGoer
>>

>> Do not listen to this jerk. OEM inks are the way to go with one
>> exception.
>>
>> If your printload is very high like a set of carts a week or
>> something high then it may be worth taking a chance on a clog. Once
>> you get a clog you can try to clean the head. You can also replace
>> the printer and you get a new head and a new set of OEM carts.
>

> Listen toMeasekite for I am this moron who is an idiot. He has one
> thousand printers in his office all Canon.
> I alone have 3 printers in my personal office. HP LaserJet1, Canon
> Laser and Epson B&W inkjet. I use only terrible after market carts and
> have many problems.
> He has never, ever used any after market ink and he has never had any
> problems
> So who's word are you going to trust?
> I think the answer is obvious.
> Frank

Yeah, the answer is obvious. :-)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:43:37 AM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

> Listen to Measekite. You can trust his judgement
> Frank
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:17:42 AM

Burt, You caught my attention with your i960, I am having the problem
with red fleshtones (you did reply to my original post regarding
Tiger). I would rather keep my 960 if possible if there is some
setting I can adjust. Would you be so kind to give me a step by step
instr on how to adjust the Magenta or PM (or if you know of a web
site, please send the link instead!) Thanks in advance.

John D.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:16:19 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Go onto the MIS web site and download the purge files. Use the one for the
>number of carts your printer has. Using the cleaning cycles adds to the
>waste ink "tank" and adds a few more cycles to the counter in the printer
>that eventually disables the printer until the waste tank is cleaned and/or
>the counter is reset.
>
>Depending on how close to OEM colors the compatable carts are, you may be
>getting as close as you will with the OEM carts. Setting the color to
>manual instead of automatic, you can tweak OEM or non-OEM prints. Even with
>OEM carts each of the Canon printers has a "bias" toward certain colors.
>The i960, my printer, leans slightly to Magenta. On some pictures of
>people with a bit more red in their skin tones I back off the Magenta
>slightly. My refilled carts with MIS inks compare favorably with the OEM
>colors in side-by-side photo print comparisons.
>
><wrreisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>
>> Any advice welcome thansk.

July 7, 2005 3:50:26 AM

When you have an image ready for printing click file, page setup, select the
paper size and orientation (portrait or landscape) and then click "printer".
This will bring up the printer dialog box from the printer driver. On the
main page select manual color adjustment and then click "set". This brings
up the color adjustment screen. There are sliders that you can operate with
your mouse to increase or decrease individual ink colors or overall
intensity. I have seen one person suggest -7 for Magenta. You can play
with this adjustment to get the feel for the degree of change you want. It
might be based, in part, on the red tones in the photo subject's skin. To
accept the adjustments you click "ok" in each screen as you exit this dialog
box. You can then either click the printer ikon on the menu bar or click
file, printer. When the dialog box pops up click OK.

Another adjustment area to check is the "effects" page in the printer dialog
box. Do not check any of the special effects as the printer then controls
the color instead of you.

With some programs you can get to the printer dialog box by clicking the
printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
dialog box but will immediately do the print job.

I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone who
simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to allow
someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience. There are
programs that are better suited to digital photography and provide better
color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which contains a subset
of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is inexpensive and has all the
capabilities I need as a non-professional user.
"JPD" <InvalidAddress@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Burt, You caught my attention with your i960, I am having the problem
> with red fleshtones (you did reply to my original post regarding
> Tiger). I would rather keep my 960 if possible if there is some
> setting I can adjust. Would you be so kind to give me a step by step
> instr on how to adjust the Magenta or PM (or if you know of a web
> site, please send the link instead!) Thanks in advance.
>
> John D.
>
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:16:19 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Go onto the MIS web site and download the purge files. Use the one for
>>the
>>number of carts your printer has. Using the cleaning cycles adds to the
>>waste ink "tank" and adds a few more cycles to the counter in the printer
>>that eventually disables the printer until the waste tank is cleaned
>>and/or
>>the counter is reset.
>>
>>Depending on how close to OEM colors the compatable carts are, you may be
>>getting as close as you will with the OEM carts. Setting the color to
>>manual instead of automatic, you can tweak OEM or non-OEM prints. Even
>>with
>>OEM carts each of the Canon printers has a "bias" toward certain colors.
>>The i960, my printer, leans slightly to Magenta. On some pictures of
>>people with a bit more red in their skin tones I back off the Magenta
>>slightly. My refilled carts with MIS inks compare favorably with the OEM
>>colors in side-by-side photo print comparisons.
>>
>><wrreisen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using compatible cartridges with my canon i850 for economy. I
>>> need to print something that looks as perfect as possible so have
>>> bought some original cartridges. Is the only way to move through the
>>> previous noncompatible cartridge ink to print lots of test pages?
>>>
>>> Any advice welcome thansk.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:07:37 AM

Thanks Burt. I will try these out. I don't mind experimenting, but I
am starting to go thru a lot of photo paper! I will let you know what
happens.

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:50:26 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>number of carts your printer has. Using the cleaning cycles adds to the
>>>waste ink "tank" and adds a few more cycles to the counter in the printer
>>>that eventually disables the printer until the waste tank is cleaned
>>>and/or
>>>the counter is reset.
>>>
>>>Depending on how close to OEM colors the compatable carts are, you may be
>>>getting as close as you will with the OEM carts. Setting the color to
>>>manual instead of automatic, you can tweak OEM or non-OEM prints. Even
>>>with
>>>OEM carts each of the Canon printers has a "bias" toward certain colors.
>>>The i960, my printer, leans slightly to Magenta. On some pictures of
>>>people with a bit more red in their skin tones I back off the Magenta
>>>slightly. My refilled carts with MIS inks compare favorably with the OEM
>>>colors in side-by-side photo print comparisons.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:45:02 AM

JPD wrote:

>Thanks Burt. I will try these out. I don't mind experimenting, but I
>am starting to go thru a lot of photo paper! I will let you know what
>happens.

Burtie Furtie will tell you where to get an aftermarket tree so you can
make your own paper.

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:50:26 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>wrote:
>

>>When you have an image ready for printing click file, page setup, select the
>>paper size and orientation (portrait or landscape) and then click "printer".
>>This will bring up the printer dialog box from the printer driver. On the
>>main page select manual color adjustment and then click "set". This brings
>>up the color adjustment screen. There are sliders that you can operate with
>>your mouse to increase or decrease individual ink colors or overall
>>intensity. I have seen one person suggest -7 for Magenta. You can play
>>with this adjustment to get the feel for the degree of change you want. It
>>might be based, in part, on the red tones in the photo subject's skin. To
>>accept the adjustments you click "ok" in each screen as you exit this dialog
>>box. You can then either click the printer ikon on the menu bar or click
>>file, printer. When the dialog box pops up click OK.
>>
>>Another adjustment area to check is the "effects" page in the printer dialog
>>box. Do not check any of the special effects as the printer then controls
>>the color instead of you.
>>
>>With some programs you can get to the printer dialog box by clicking the
>>printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
>>dialog box but will immediately do the print job.
>>
>>I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
>>doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
>>permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone who
>>simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to allow
>>someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience. There are
>>programs that are better suited to digital photography and provide better
>>color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which contains a subset
>>of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is inexpensive and has all the
>>capabilities I need as a non-professional user.
>>"JPD" <InvalidAddress@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Burt, You caught my attention with your i960, I am having the problem
>>>with red fleshtones (you did reply to my original post regarding
>>>Tiger). I would rather keep my 960 if possible if there is some
>>>setting I can adjust. Would you be so kind to give me a step by step
>>>instr on how to adjust the Magenta or PM (or if you know of a web
>>>site, please send the link instead!) Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>John D.

July 7, 2005 9:17:20 AM

If you have a Costco nearby go and purchase a package of their Kirkland
glossy photo paper. $19 for 125 sheets and it prints beautifully with the
canon printers. at about 15 cents a sheet that you can cut into 3 4x6's
with a paper cutter you can do a lot of prints to experiment at 5 cents a
pop. For a real bargain refilling with MIS inks at $1 per cartridge for a
refill lets you print all day long and not worry about cost! That is what
I've been using in my i960 for almost a year with no problems and OEM
ink-like results. First you should solve your color problems with the OEM
inks that came with the printer to be sure you are not introducing another
variable in case there is a problem with the printer.

> Thanks Burt. I will try these out. I don't mind experimenting, but I
> am starting to go thru a lot of photo paper! I will let you know what
> happens.
>

> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:50:26 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
>>When you have an image ready for printing click file, page setup, select
>>the
>>paper size and orientation (portrait or landscape) and then click
>>"printer".
>>This will bring up the printer dialog box from the printer driver. On the
>>main page select manual color adjustment and then click "set". This
>>brings
>>up the color adjustment screen. There are sliders that you can operate
>>with
>>your mouse to increase or decrease individual ink colors or overall
>>intensity. I have seen one person suggest -7 for Magenta. You can play
>>with this adjustment to get the feel for the degree of change you want.
>>It
>>might be based, in part, on the red tones in the photo subject's skin. To
>>accept the adjustments you click "ok" in each screen as you exit this
>>dialog
>>box. You can then either click the printer ikon on the menu bar or click
>>file, printer. When the dialog box pops up click OK.
>>
>>Another adjustment area to check is the "effects" page in the printer
>>dialog
>>box. Do not check any of the special effects as the printer then controls
>>the color instead of you.
>>
>>With some programs you can get to the printer dialog box by clicking the
>>printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
>>dialog box but will immediately do the print job.
>>
>>I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
>>doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
>>permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone
>>who
>>simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to allow
>>someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience. There are
>>programs that are better suited to digital photography and provide better
>>color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which contains a
>>subset
>>of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is inexpensive and has all the
>>capabilities I need as a non-professional user.
>>"JPD" <InvalidAddress@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Burt, You caught my attention with your i960, I am having the problem
>>> with red fleshtones (you did reply to my original post regarding
>>> Tiger). I would rather keep my 960 if possible if there is some
>>> setting I can adjust. Would you be so kind to give me a step by step
>>> instr on how to adjust the Magenta or PM (or if you know of a web
>>> site, please send the link instead!) Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> John D.

July 7, 2005 9:20:37 AM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

> JPD wrote:
>
>>Thanks Burt. I will try these out. I don't mind experimenting, but I
>>am starting to go thru a lot of photo paper! I will let you know what
>>happens.
>>

> Burtie Furtie will tell you where to get an aftermarket tree so you can
> make your own paper.

No, Measie, I can either tell him to find a money tree so he can keep buying
Canon paper and Canon inks or I can tell him about your 98% favorite
AFTERMARKET paper, Kirkland glossy photo paper, and my 1,000% favorite ink,
MIS bulk for refilling. Thanks for reminding me. I'll send him the
message today.

>>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:50:26 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>When you have an image ready for printing click file, page setup, select
>>>the paper size and orientation (portrait or landscape) and then click
>>>"printer". This will bring up the printer dialog box from the printer
>>>driver. On the main page select manual color adjustment and then click
>>>"set". This brings up the color adjustment screen. There are sliders
>>>that you can operate with your mouse to increase or decrease individual
>>>ink colors or overall intensity. I have seen one person suggest -7 for
>>>Magenta. You can play with this adjustment to get the feel for the
>>>degree of change you want. It might be based, in part, on the red tones
>>>in the photo subject's skin. To accept the adjustments you click "ok" in
>>>each screen as you exit this dialog box. You can then either click the
>>>printer ikon on the menu bar or click file, printer. When the dialog box
>>>pops up click OK.
>>>
>>>Another adjustment area to check is the "effects" page in the printer
>>>dialog box. Do not check any of the special effects as the printer then
>>>controls the color instead of you.
>>>
>>>With some programs you can get to the printer dialog box by clicking the
>>>printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
>>>dialog box but will immediately do the print job.
>>>
>>>I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
>>>doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
>>>permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone
>>>who simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to
>>>allow someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience.
>>>There are programs that are better suited to digital photography and
>>>provide better color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which
>>>contains a subset of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is
>>>inexpensive and has all the capabilities I need as a non-professional
>>>user.
>>>"JPD" <InvalidAddress@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:37:06 AM

Burt wrote:

> [...]
>>>printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
>>>dialog box but will immediately do the print job.
>>>
>>>I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
>>>doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
>>>permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone
>>>who
>>>simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to allow
>>>someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience. There are
>>>programs that are better suited to digital photography and provide better
>>>color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which contains a
>>>subset
>>>of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is inexpensive and has all the
>>>capabilities I need as a non-professional user.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:39:33 AM

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>JPD wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Burt. I will try these out. I don't mind experimenting, but I
>>>am starting to go thru a lot of photo paper! I will let you know what
>>>happens.
>>>

>>Burtie Furtie will tell you where to get an aftermarket tree so you can
>>make your own paper.
>>

>No, Measie, I can either tell him to find a money tree so he can keep buying
>Canon paper and Canon inks or I can tell him about your 98% favorite
>AFTERMARKET paper, Kirkland glossy photo paper, and my 1,000% favorite ink,
>MIS UnBranded Noname Printer Specific Generic bulk for biting the bullet refilling. Thanks for reminding me. I'll send him the
>message today.

Gaw Head Make My Day

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:27:19 PM

Burt wrote:
> If you have a Costco nearby go and purchase a package of their Kirkland
> glossy photo paper. $19 for 125 sheets and it prints beautifully with the
> canon printers. at about 15 cents a sheet that you can cut into 3 4x6's
> with a paper cutter you can do a lot of prints to experiment at 5 cents a
> pop. For a real bargain refilling with MIS inks at $1 per cartridge for a
> refill lets you print all day long and not worry about cost! That is what
> I've been using in my i960 for almost a year with no problems and OEM
> ink-like results. First you should solve your color problems with the OEM
> inks that came with the printer to be sure you are not introducing another
> variable in case there is a problem with the printer.

Burt and I are on the same page with after market ink and paper. I'm
very pleased with both on my i860.

I have recently started using the canon Easy-PhotoPrint program and
I'm very pleased with the outcome from this program and above
mentioned ink/paper. It is my understanding that EPP does bypass all
settings from the normal print driver and uses it own that have been
optimized for Canon ink and paper.

Mickey
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:45:32 PM

Mickey wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> If you have a Costco nearby go and purchase a package of their
>> Kirkland glossy photo paper. $19 for 125 sheets and it prints
>> beautifully with the canon printers. at about 15 cents a sheet that
>> you can cut into 3 4x6's with a paper cutter you can do a lot of
>> prints to experiment at 5 cents a pop. For a real bargain refilling
>> with MIS inks at $1 per cartridge for a refill lets you print all day
>> long and not worry about cost! That is what I've been using in my
>> i960 for almost a year with no problems and OEM ink-like results.
>> First you should solve your color problems with the OEM inks that
>> came with the printer to be sure you are not introducing another
>> variable in case there is a problem with the printer.
>>

> Burt and I are on the same page with oem and costco paper. I'm very
> pleased with both on my i860.
>
> I have recently started using the canon Easy-PhotoPrint program and
> I'm very pleased with the outcome from this program and above
> mentioned ink/paper. It is my understanding that EPP does bypass all
> settings from the normal print driver and uses it own that have been
> optimized for Canon ink and paper.
>
> Mickey
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:46:47 AM

Good point Burt. I actually am heading to Costco Saturday, so I will
check out that paper and get some canon cartridges. I had been using
the Staples paper for quite some time with no problems until recently.
I know for a fact that the Kodak paper works terribly with both my
i550 and 960. Thanks.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:17:20 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>printer ikon on the menu bar. On some other programs you will not get a
>>>dialog box but will immediately do the print job.
>>>
>>>I have read that the printing program that comes with the Canon printers
>>>doesn't accept color profiles. I don't use it so I don't know if it will
>>>permit the color adjustments noted above. It is convenient for someone
>>>who
>>>simply wants to print a photo, but it is a dumbed-down program to allow
>>>someone to use it with little computer knowledge or experience. There are
>>>programs that are better suited to digital photography and provide better
>>>color and image control. I use Photoshop Elements 3 which contains a
>>>subset
>>>of the larger Photoshop program. Elements is inexpensive and has all the
>>>capabilities I need as a non-professional user.

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:17:19 AM

JPD wrote:

>Good point Burt. I actually am heading to Costco Saturday, so I will
>check out that paper and get some canon cartridges. I had been using
>the Staples paper for quite some time with no problems until recently.
>I know for a fact that the Kodak paper works terribly with both my
>i550 and 960. Thanks.

That a way to go.

!