Graphic card tweaking for streaming video.

What do you guys do with your graphic card settings to gain better picture quality and performance when viewing streaming video? What card tweaking solution makes a difference where streaming video on say real player when used?

Thanks.

Overlay controls. 'ts about it.

Can you be more specific. On the SLI system in my sig, when watching your average streaming video in full screen, seems no matter if I set my A filtering at 4 and my Antialising at 16x there is not much of a difference in picture quality from application controlled settings. Of course I realize the internet connecion speed and video quality being piped out to me are major factors too. But, what can I do if anything to clear up the picture. Sometimes in full screen the picture is really poor quality. You would think I paid five bucks for my video card when I have two cards costing originally almost $800.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
full screen, seems no matter if I set my A filtering at 4 and my Antialising at 16x there is not much of a difference in picture quality

That's right. AA and AF have no effect on overlays and avis, movs and mpgs are overlays.

Of course I realize the internet connecion speed and video quality being piped out to me are major factors too.

Internet connection has nothing to do with IQ. Internet connection can only impact your frame rate. Thing is that streaming videos en mass are low resolution and when you blow them up you get all the blocking and ringing. It is a mess. Cannot be avoided.

But, what can I do if anything to clear up the picture. Sometimes in full screen the picture is really poor quality.

Do not use full screen. :wink:

When I said "use overlays" in my original response I meant that by controling overlay settings in the driver control panel you can adjust saturation, gamma, sharpness, digital vibrance and things like that. This helps somewhat because if the saturation is too high you can see all the color distortions of pixelated image. Remember low quality JPEGs when blown up? This is what you are getting when blowing up low res videos. (Each frame is a still image of great compression and low resolution). Reduce saturation and suddenly the image looks more natural and clean.

Do not use full screen. :wink:

Good enough. The short and quickest answer works for me.

When I said "use overlays" in my original response I meant that by controling overlay settings in the driver control panel you can adjust saturation, gamma, sharpness, digital vibrance and things like that.

Yeah, even those overlay settings don't help much watching full screen.

This helps somewhat because if the saturation is too high you can see all the color distortions of pixelated image.

I liked the saturation effect used in "Predator". "If it bleeds, we can kill it." :D

Remember low quality JPEGs when blown up?

I had my own website for nearly ten years. Do I ever remember taking close up photographs and making those low quality jpegs from them with my scanner. And the pain and anguish of trying to resize them for the web viewing.

This is what you are getting when blowing up low res videos. (Each frame is a still image of great compression and low resolution). Reduce saturation and suddenly the image looks more natural and clean.

Good explanation.

BTW. This guy looks a lot lot me 8O It's so old, even when viewed "smaller" the picture quality is bad. Number one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCH3w_LnmHE