"Demand for AMD Turion 64 X2 Rising Fast"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
With demand for AMD Turion 64 X2 processors in Taiwan picking up fast, AMD expects the dual-core processors to be utilized in over 50% of Turion-based notebooks shipped to the Taiwan market by the end of 2006.

...Dennis Chen, general manager of personal systems group at Hewlett Packard (HP) Taiwan, remarked that his company is also confident about sales of Turion 64 X2-based notebooks. He said that after July's launch of HP notebooks using Turion 64 X2-powered notebooks, demand for the dual-core models grew fast, and they now account for 60-70% of the company's sales of AMD-based notebooks in Taiwan.

This trend will keep growing becasue of Turion's superb performance and low power consumption. :wink:

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20060816A7037.html

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
But isn't Turion AMD's flagship/proper mobile offering? Wouldn't you expect that to be the case regardless? It's hardly surprising news, it is their best offering by far.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
But isn't Turion AMD's flagship/proper mobile offering? Wouldn't you expect that to be the case regardless? It's hardly surprising news, it is their best offering by far.

Not many intel fanboys believe that. They still believe that Yonah is better when the thruth is far form that. The only contender to Turion is merom becasue it is a 64-bit mobile processor.

I even remember some jackass (won't say name) saying that "intel's 90nm is better than AMD's 90nm" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
With demand for AMD Turion 64 X2 processors in Taiwan picking up fast, AMD expects the dual-core processors to be utilized in over 50% of Turion-based notebooks shipped to the Taiwan market by the end of 2006.

...Dennis Chen, general manager of personal systems group at Hewlett Packard (HP) Taiwan, remarked that his company is also confident about sales of Turion 64 X2-based notebooks. He said that after July's launch of HP notebooks using Turion 64 X2-powered notebooks, demand for the dual-core models grew fast, and they now account for 60-70% of the company's sales of AMD-based notebooks in Taiwan.

Okay.. how about in the US?

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Great.

So Turion X2's make up 70% of AMD's 15% market share in laptops? Well, that's great to know.

Oh, and the "person you won't name" actually explained why Intel's process was superior to AMD's, instead of just assuming it to be true and adding a couple of smiley faces after the statement.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Great.

So Turion X2's make up 70% of AMD's 15% market share in laptops? Well, that's great to know.

Oh, and the "person you won't name" actually explained why Intel's process was superior to AMD's, instead of just assuming it to be true and adding a couple of smiley faces after the statement.

I was about to say the same thing. It's been like 3 years now with x64 support and it has not yet picked up much support. We have an O/S (Windows XP x64) which is not supported or used as nearly as much as Windows XP Pro.

So why is 64bit computing in a laptop such a big deal anyways? I admit, it's nice to have but still pretty much useless for 99.9% of the earths population.

As for Yonah and Turion... Intel's Core Duo is superior to AMD's Turion X2. It's superior in lower power consumption as well as performance. It lags in having 64bit as a feature... but as I already stated in my post... who cares.

Turion X2 is in high demand for an AMD Notebook CPU. Not nearly as high in demand are Core Duo is ;)

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Not many intel fanboys believe that. They still believe that Yonah is better when the thruth is far form that. The only contender to Turion is merom becasue it is a 64-bit mobile processor.

I even remember some jackass (won't say name) saying that "intel's 90nm is better than AMD's 90nm" :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's wrong with you? Is there something BROKEN inside? Are you so blinded by your own ridiculous beliefs that you can't even read a simple statement without turning it into some sort of anti Intel offering?

I said Turion is AMD's best mobile offering, not it is better or worse than Yonaha or Merom! It was a simple statement, showing my contempt for the point of the article. It's flaming obvious that AMD's best mobile chip will be it's number one mobile based seller. The quote from the article does not even mention Intel. Why the hell bring it up? We all know Turion has really good power consumption figures and is a really good performer. I hate to say it but, duh!

I am starting to hate fanboys of all kinds.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

What's wrong with you? Is there something BROKEN inside? Are you so blinded by your own ridiculous beliefs that you can't even read a simple statement without turning it into some sort of anti Intel offering?

I said Turion is AMD's best mobile offering, not it is better or worse than Yonaha or Merom! It was a simple statement, showing my contempt for the point of the article. It's flaming obvious that AMD's best mobile chip will be it's number one mobile based seller. The quote from the article does not even mention Intel. Why the hell bring it up? We all know Turion has really good power consumption figures and is a really good performer. I hate to say it but, duh!

Did you own an AMD or an Intel rig before your current rig?

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Both, still have both, probably always will as I upgrade over time chosing the best chip on the market at that time.

Edit to say, probably will get K8L or something similar, looking at a yearly time frame before I get rid of one of the really old boxes in this house.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005

Um, that just means that the X2's account for 60-70% of the AMD notebooks that they sold, not the overall number of notebooks that they sell (intel + amd).

For example:
So if 10,000 laptops are sold in a month, and 1,000 are AMD based, that means between 600-700 are sold with Turion X2's and the rest of the thousand are sold with regular Turions.
It doesn't mean that 6000-7000 laptops sold have Turion X2's.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Yeah its amazing sometimes how if we read something w/ a presupposed bias, how quickly we can jump to conclusions.
I have to admit I've done it before as well.

I really had % numbers, they can be skewed so easily to misinform people...

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah, that is totaly true, but the article is really clear in what it means. I just naturally assumed he read it correctly to start with. I wonder, if anything he was presenting it that way in the hopes of people not reading it properly?

The decent people that come to this forum to learn or make purchasing decisions need to be kept informed by non-biased people hehe 8) Where's that Jack anyways? :D :wink: (meant in a complimentary way incase anyone misreads that lol)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
What's wrong with you? Is there something BROKEN inside?
Yes
Are you so blinded by your own ridiculous beliefs that you can't even read a simple statement without turning it into some sort of anti Intel offering?
yes

9 inch is aka Parrot. The poster known as Parrot is a AMD employee.
The real question is: is he employed by AMD for the purpose of making these posts on tech sites, or is he simply such a rabid fanboy/company man that he makes these posts of his own volition.

If you search for posts by 9inch/Parrot you will find dozens of identical posts. That is to say, he posts a headline, drops a one sentence pro AMD statement and highlights a line of Pro AMD text from an exerpt within the article. Sadly, he usually fails to read the entire article and winds up taking the information out of context. This in turn leads to a flame fest.

Peace

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The point is not really how fast Turion64s X2s are replacing Turion64s in AMD notebooks it's how many Turion64 X2s are being sold against Core Duo. It's also important to look at worldwide demand too since the Taiwan market isn't huge. Even if Turion64 X2s were 100% of AMD notebooks sold in Taiwan if other locations aren't selling or don't have stock because everythings diverted to Taiwan it won't help the bottom line any. From my perspective in Canada, I've only started seeing Turion64 X2s starting in the middle of July and they are mainly the lowest TL-50 model.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
200px-Carlb-sockpuppet-01.jpg

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
But wait, if someone compared a Core 2 Duo to an FX60 you'd cry fanboy and say "it's not fair to compare a newer CPU to an older one"

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Geee, thanks --- this brings back good memories.

You know, if 9-inch starts a post. Just look at it and don't reply, that will truely piss the crap out of him. Better then that, don't even look at his post. He will disappear. Lock him out.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

You know, if 9-inch starts a post. Just look at it and don't reply, that will truely piss the crap out of him. Better then that, don't even look at his post. He will disappear. Lock him out.
I wish I could, but in many cases the blantant deception is so compelling I must take the time to correct his trolling so casual readers will get, as Paul Harvey would say, 'the rest of the story'.

Action_man has the right approach, he simply responds with the same level of uselessness --- as the thread grows more usless faster, the mods tend to lock 'em up.... only once have I seen a 9-inch thread/post actually yield useful information, but as you can see from his thread statistics, most is utter rubbish. I started collecting his posting patterns because he alluded once that he did not use the inquirer as a source, that was bogus.

What I found when I actually starting looking back was quite startling. I begin also counting the number of times he has used the phrase 'hate Intel' and other worst, more offensive phrases and foul language. He does not posses the greatest attributes that would be a defnition of good character so to speak, just look at the handle he uses....

:)I don't think 9-inch refers to what you think. It's the circumference of his brain. :wink:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I wish I could, but in many cases the blantant deception is so compelling I must take the time to correct his trolling so casual readers will get, as Paul Harvey would say, 'the rest of the story'.

Action_man has the right approach, he simply responds with the same level of uselessness --- as the thread grows more usless faster, the mods tend to lock 'em up.... only once have I seen a 9-inch thread/post actually yield useful information, but as you can see from his thread statistics, most is utter rubbish. I started collecting his posting patterns because he alluded once that he did not use the inquirer as a source, that was bogus.

What I found when I actually starting looking back was quite startling. I begin also counting the number of times he has used the phrase 'hate Intel' and other worst, more offensive phrases and foul language. He does not posses the greatest attributes that would be a defnition of good character so to speak, just look at the handle he uses....

:)
ROFL!

That's some observation you have! :trophy:

:lol: . o O (its a dirty job, but someones gotta do it.)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Um, that just means that the X2's account for 60-70% of the AMD notebooks that they sold, not the overall number of notebooks that they sell (intel + amd).

For example:
So if 10,000 laptops are sold in a month, and 1,000 are AMD based, that means between 600-700 are sold with Turion X2's and the rest of the thousand are sold with regular Turions.
It doesn't mean that 6000-7000 laptops sold have Turion X2's.

Thanks so much Nobly for re-reading to us what we already read. Any jackass understood that 60-70% of the AMD notebooks that they sold means AMD NOTEBOOKS, not total notebooks.
Where did someone say that the article meant 60-70% of total sales??? :idea: :roll:It's just that 9-inch needs to have facts pointed out for him, as his history of taking things out of context is unmatched in THG Forums. :?