8-pin EATX 12v connector on Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

derekjr

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I just received my Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, not realizing it had a newer 8-pin EATX 12v connector instead of the 4-pin square one that I had expected...I have a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool® 510 Express / SLI Power Supply, which only has the 4-pin connector :(

I am just wondering if anyone knows that it's safe to use this PSU.

My system will basically be:
Intel e6700 C2D
2GB 667 DDR2 Ram
1xGeforce 7950GX2
2x10,000 Rpm WD Raptor SATA HDs
1x300GB 7200RPM IDE HD
1XDVD-RW Drive

I know this PSU is plenty powerful for this...but will the lack of an 8-pin EATX connector cause stability issues? The weird thing is...the Asus motherboard comes with 4 of the 8 pins capped with a removable plastic cover...leading me to believe it's fine to use a 4-pin...or they are expecting people to only be using 4 of the pins. Does that make any sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The 8 phase power is supposed to make overclocking more stable.

In the manual it states that the 8 pin must be connected or the system will not boot....

You can use the following connector

psu-147.jpg

http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-147.html

desmondhs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Hi:
I bought a P5Q Asus MB on 5/04/09, I have a 4 pin EAT12V connector coming from my PS MB, MB manual says use only 8 pin EAT12V connector.
You said that 4 pins on the EAT connector are shaved off, so electrically they serve no function, therefore 4 pins supply power, and the other pins provide electrical stability de to a more snug fit. You can use your 8 pin connector.
Note. To back up the above Asus manual says 2 pins of the 4 connector supply 12 Volts, and the other 2 are ground pins.

Conclusion: It is better to use an 8 pin connector for stable connectivity of power from Power Supply to MB, Asus MB requires it, probably for future improvement.
A 4 pin connector will also work, but it won't be held as stable as an 8 pin connector, therefore, buy an 8 pin EAT12V connector and do the conversion.
desmondhs