Quick questions about installing devices

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
While my e6300 and mobo are on route, I want to be ready to install and have no issues while building (im getting really nervous about building my first system).

* Does the mobo come with tracks or something that it ties to or does it get screwed in directly to the case.

* Which is better: OEM or Retail hard drives. Ive noticied on newegg, the oems have 5-year manufacters warranty while retail has only 1-year. Is there a difference between RE and SE western digital caviar hd. Im looking at 200-300GB Sata 3.0GB/s with 16MB. Theres a price difference between both the RE and SE and both are OEM's. Do the HDs come with the nessesary parts to install it in drive bay?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
While my e6300 and mobo are on route, I want to be ready to install and have no issues while building (im getting really nervous about building my first system).

* Does the mobo come with tracks or something that it ties to or does it get screwed in directly to the case.

* Which is better: OEM or Retail hard drives. Ive noticied on newegg, the oems have 5-year manufacters warranty while retail has only 1-year. Is there a difference between RE and SE western digital caviar hd. Im looking at 200-300GB Sata 3.0GB/s with 16MB. Theres a price difference between both the RE and SE and both are OEM's. Do the HDs come with the nessesary parts to install it in drive bay?

1. Motherboards will only come with all the necessary connectors etc. the Motherboard mounting hardware (screws and bolts) come with the case. So it's not screwed directly into the case. It's lifted up a tad.

First you need to screw the motherboard mounts into the case. They look like this:
mounts.jpg

step5_300.gif

Then you screw the motherboard into the motherboard mounts using the available mounting holes in the motherboard.

2. RE is short of RAID Edition. They're better quality drives then the SE (special edition). RE drives come with a longer warranty and will more then likely last longer. They're usually more expensive.
A Retail drive comes in a retail box with instructions, manuals and mounting hardware. An OEM drive (Original Equipment Manufacturer) comes with just the bare drive in an antistatic bag.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanx elmoisevil (ha! I always thought he was). Where did you get those pictures, do you have the website because I like those clear pictures. I didnt open the bag of screws for the case cause I wanted to wait for my mobo/processor. So those golden pins go into the case (using the motherboard to see which holes it fits in on the case), then line up the mobo with the pins, then screw the mobo using screws into the pins, correct?

I dont plan on doing raid config, so is RE useless in my case?