Samsung Galaxy S4 to Have 'Unbreakable' AMOLED Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I want to see the two part phones with a retractable, flexible touchscreen between the two parts. Just pull it apart to see what you need, close it up to carry. It's been in scifi stuff for years now. Will that be the Galaxy S VI?

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
"Unbreakable" as in it won't crack? I'm always hearing about my friends' smartphones getting cracked all the time, so I can only assume it's a pretty prevalent issue (that or I need new friends). I figure an unbreakable screen would be a pretty huge draw when looking for a new phone - I know that's what I'd be looking at, at least.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Everytime i see OLED or AMOLED news I think about my desktop monitor....im waiting for someone to say: Hey, forget about those 3 monitors and bezels, heres a long one!
I hope someone is working on that.
On-Topic: NICE! Dont know about the "foldable displays"...that seems a little too much...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
how about stretchable displays? this way we can use our phone as phone and when need it, stretch it to a tablet form. This is totally doable with nano technology.

dgingeri

Distinguished

halcyon

Splendid
...and I just got an SIII in September. Samsung, you're going to make me want to (foolishly) pay full price for this S4 and stand in line on launch day if you keep up with stuff like this.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Just wait, in like 3-4 days Apple will file a patent for an unbreakable, stretchable, shrinkable, waterproof, childproof, lightning proof display.[/citation]
followed by Apple suing Samsung....again..

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Jcurry right.. Anytime something say's it's unbreakable.. I tend to break it.. Hell even broke my boulder phone (though it did still work just screwed up the display).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
inbreakable sreens would be nice, i did break my old palm pre from a drop of only about a foot and a half, my wife broke her screen when her samsung intercept IIphone fell off the counter and while it still worked it had cracks in it for over a year before replacing

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]how about this? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna [...] e_irrank=0[/citation]
Thos ultrasharp are nice. Not wide enough.

I want something like this http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/nec-release-43-curved-monitor-for-8000-2009065/

but 5760 x 1080.

Im asuming they will be cheaper than $8.000!
I think its the only natural step.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]No, like a tablet.[/citation]

Guess I'm not hip to the lingo...crazy kids and your loud music

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Do you think Samsung will license this technology to Apple? Well, Apple will probably claim that it is their invention and sue (or will just copy it)

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
[citation][nom]faust_67[/nom]Do you think Samsung will license this technology to Apple? Well, Apple will probably claim that it is their invention and sue (or will just copy it)[/citation]

Most likely not. Samsung has been testing these kinds of screens since years back. Not to mention Apple has looking for alternate screen makers for a while now ( Phillips / LG etc) so I doubt Sammy wants anything to do with Apple regarding these core products just like how you'll never ever see a Samsung Exynos in an Iphone or an Apple designed / sammy manufactured A6 SoC in a sammy phone.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]lilotimz[/nom]Most likely not. Samsung has been testing these kinds of screens since years back. Not to mention Apple has looking for alternate screen makers for a while now ( Phillips / LG etc) so I doubt Sammy wants anything to do with Apple regarding these core products just like how you'll never ever see a Samsung Exynos in an Iphone or an Apple designed / sammy manufactured A6 SoC in a sammy phone.[/citation]
It is not a very good idea for Apple to anger suppliers (like Samsung) that have the resources and know-how to innovate. If Samsung can pull flexible screens, I imagine incredible smartphones/tablets (or even some kind of new devices) to be released very fast. Apple would be left behind and would have to play catchup. A position, I am sure, they would not like. This is how it should work in a normal competitive market. Not through law suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.