Cannot resolve external names

I have been having this annoying problem for the last year with one of
our DNS servers. Simply put, it can't resolve external names. I have
the right forwarder ip addresses and the server can use recursion.
The thing that makes this very weird, other then the fact that other
servers on the site can resolve external names is that i cant connect
to the forward dns servers using nslookup only from this server. I
can use nslookup in this fashion from other dns servers.

if you can help me, please do.

Brian Saville

In news:3856aa18.0410261704.7f85bf14@posting.google.com,
Brian Saville <bsaville@savs.net> made a post then I commented below
> I have been having this annoying problem for the last year with one of
> our DNS servers. Simply put, it can't resolve external names. I have
> the right forwarder ip addresses and the server can use recursion.
> The thing that makes this very weird, other then the fact that other
> servers on the site can resolve external names is that i cant connect
> to the forward dns servers using nslookup only from this server. I
> can use nslookup in this fashion from other dns servers.
>
> if you can help me, please do.
>
> Brian Saville

Can you ping the forwarder from this DNS server?
Can you ping anything at all outside the network from this DNS server?
Are you using a firewall? ISA server?
Does it have the Root zone created under your FLZ?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

cite="mid3856aa18.0410261704.7f85bf14@posting.google.com">
The thing
that makes this very weird [...] is that i cant connect to the forward
dns servers using nslookup only from this server.
Then your problem is an IP connectivity problem, most likely the wrong <a
href="http://homepages.tesco.net./%7EJ.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-shaped-firewall-holes.html">shape
of hole knocked in your firewall</a>, rather than a DNS problem.  At
the same time as investigating it, I recommend investigating whether
your choice to use forwarding was <a
href="http://homepages.tesco.net./%7EJ.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html#ChoosingProxy">the
appropriate one for your circumstances</a>.<br>