DNS Priority...

Hallo all,
If I have multiple DC in a site...the logon DC is choosen by Round
robin...right?
If I want to give higher priority to one DC I can set the priority in the
DNS NS record....right?
But...this setting is not overwritten when DC register himself alfter a
reboot?

Many thanks

> If I have multiple DC in a site...the logon DC is choosen by Round
> robin...right?

No, the first to answer is the logon server.

> If I want to give higher priority to one DC I can set the priority in the
> DNS NS record....right?

No you would set up sites. See:
How to create and configure an Active Directory Site in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318480

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"TELEM@co" <telemaco@nospam.it> wrote in message
> Hallo all,
> If I have multiple DC in a site...the logon DC is choosen by Round
> robin...right?
> If I want to give higher priority to one DC I can set the priority in the
> DNS NS record....right?
> But...this setting is not overwritten when DC register himself alfter a
> reboot?
>
> Many thanks

Bobo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

>> If I have multiple DC in a site...the logon DC is choosen by Round
>> robin...right?
>
> No, the first to answer is the logon server.

answer what?
If the logon DC is given by SRV record in DNS and you have multiple SRV
records in DNS with the same priority...DNS has to choose one...

>> If I want to give higher priority to one DC I can set the priority in the
>> DNS NS record....right
>
> No you would set up sites. See:

I I have no sites...in the meanwhile....I discover that is possible to give
different priorities in dns SRV records, but not manually in the DNS server,
just in the registry...otherwise Dynamic update overwrite Modified SRV
records..

Many thanks...

In news:RGQfd.213998$35.10092865@news4.tin.it,
BOBO <boboland@tin.it> made a post then I commented below
>>> If I have multiple DC in a site...the logon DC is choosen by Round
>>> robin...right?
>>
>> No, the first to answer is the logon server.
>>

> answer what?
> If the logon DC is given by SRV record in DNS and you have multiple
> SRV records in DNS with the same priority...DNS has to choose one...
>

>>> If I want to give higher priority to one DC I can set the priority
>>> in the DNS NS record....right
>>
>> No you would set up sites. See:
>
> I I have no sites...in the meanwhile....I discover that is possible
> to give different priorities in dns SRV records, but not manually in
> the DNS server, just in the registry...otherwise Dynamic update
> overwrite Modified SRV records..
>
> Many thanks...

For load balancing among DCs within a Site (you need to setup your site
first), you may want to look at the weights AND prioritites in the SRV
records. They do not get overwritten as long as they're set in the registry
under the netlogon key.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Articles/ArticleID/37935/pg/4/4.html

Change the Weight for DNS SRV Records in the Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/activedirectory/maintain/opsguide/part2/adogdapb.mspx#E0HE0AA

Change the Priority for DNS SRV Records in the Registry:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/activedirectory/maintain/opsguide/part2/adogdapb.mspx#E0KE0AA

--
Regards,
Ace