DNS

Hello,

I'm new to dns and have a couple of questions.

1. I have a linux box that is on the internet but also has an internal ip.
I would like to add a record to dns that will allow users to hit this machine
via the internal ip address rather than going through the web. I have win2k3
installed and running dns but i'm not sure how to enter this into the dns.
Currently i'm using a hosts file entry.

2. Is there a good book with lots of examples of how to perform certain
functions in dns?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hi Maj,

    I'm assuming your Linux box is your internal DNS server and that you're not
    using DHCP.

    If your user's machines are Windows XP PCs, then you need to change the DNS
    server setting in TCP/IP settings on the client PCs:

    Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area Connection, Properties,
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Select "Use the following DNS server
    addresses, then put the IP address of the LAN adapter of your Linux box.

    You can also do this using Group Policies.

    On the book front, I can't recommend one for the Windows environment, but
    the definitive book for Unix admins and the one I use is DNS and BIND by Paul
    Albitz and Cricket Liu (O'Reilly).

    Regards,

    Gary

    In news:7C5DCD91-CDC5-4FF6-BD66-1C5AF5605396@microsoft.com,
    maj <maj@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm new to dns and have a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1. I have a linux box that is on the internet but also has an
    > internal ip. I would like to add a record to dns that will allow
    > users to hit this machine via the internal ip address rather than
    > going through the web. I have win2k3 installed and running dns but
    > i'm not sure how to enter this into the dns. Currently i'm using a
    > hosts file entry.
    >
    > 2. Is there a good book with lots of examples of how to perform
    > certain functions in dns?
    >
    > Thanks

    Are you running Active Directory on the Win2003 server?

    If so, you should be ONLY using the DNS server on the Win2003 server, and NO
    others. This way, Active Directory functions properly. Assuming all of this,
    tn that DNS server, under your zone name, assuming the website is the same
    name as your AD DNS domain name, create a www entry, provide the IP address
    of the private IP of the linux box. This way, when your users type in
    www.yourdomainname.com, it resolves to the internal IP of the Linux box.

    Now, if you are not running AD, then follow the steps above for the www
    entry on whatever DNS server you are using. This is also assuming you are
    ONLY using that internal DNS server, whichever it is.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.