My printer is so old, they have stopped making cartriges f..

In May 1995, I bought a Cannon Bj-200e which has served me well. I
print perhaps ten pages a month (unless I am updating my resume when I
print a few more) so I don't need a fancy printer, just one that will
print when I need it to. The local Wal-Mart is selling a Lex-Mark color
printer for $30 which is not much more than the price of a cartridge
for the Cannon.

Well unless you all rave about that one, I am prepared to go a little
higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
a low priority.

A high priority would be that cartriges for the new printer be
available for at least 10 years.

Your suggestions and recommendations please.
Thanks in advance.

IanO
20 answers Last reply
More about printer stopped making cartriges

    > Well unless you all rave about that one, I am prepared to go a little
    > higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
    > avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
    > than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
    > a low priority.

    Do be careful of walmart cheap printers. I know a few people who
    bought based on the price only to discover that it didn't include color
    ink. Oddly enough while they do have a decent return policy... they
    refused to take it back in a family member's case.

    Do be careful about many sub $100 printers. Some while they cost less
    to buy offer a higher cost per page than models that cost just a hair
    more. Don't just look at the cartridges they take but rather the page
    yield as well. You might be buying into something that takes thimble
    full refills that costs as more or more than other printers.

    Miss Perspicacia reccomendeds the ip3000... I do concur and add that
    it's available at www.newegg.com for $65 shipped (plus or minus a few
    bucks depending on the season) and a $20 rebate till september or so.
    While it's more costly to refill than the $50 ip1500/2000, the cost per
    page is lower and it comes with more ink. Most low end lexmarks, the
    type you buy for under $75 price their ink refill at there and abouts
    of $10,000/gal, where the canon is closer to $2000 / $3000 for the
    black and color respectivly.

    http://www.printpal.com/printer/canon_bj-200e.html

    IanO wrote:
    > In May 1995, I bought a Cannon Bj-200e which has served me well. I
    > print perhaps ten pages a month (unless I am updating my resume when I
    > print a few more) so I don't need a fancy printer, just one that will
    > print when I need it to. The local Wal-Mart is selling a Lex-Mark
    > color printer for $30 which is not much more than the price of a
    > cartridge for the Cannon.
    >
    > Well unless you all rave about that one,

    Erm, you really /have/ been out of the loop, haven't you?! 'Decent Lexmark
    inkjet' is an oxymoron.

    I am prepared to go a little
    > higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
    > avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
    > than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
    > a low priority.

    iP3000 would be a good choice. BTW, it's 'cartridge'.

    "IanO" <IanONet@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In May 1995, I bought a Cannon Bj-200e which has served me well. I
    > print perhaps ten pages a month (unless I am updating my resume when I
    > print a few more) so I don't need a fancy printer, just one that will
    > print when I need it to. The local Wal-Mart is selling a Lex-Mark color
    > printer for $30 which is not much more than the price of a cartridge
    > for the Cannon.
    >
    > Well unless you all rave about that one, I am prepared to go a little
    > higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
    > avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
    > than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
    > a low priority.

    If you only print 10 pages a month you probably want a very low end printer
    with high quality printing. Separate ink cartridges will not help in your case
    since there will be some servicing overhead whenever you use the printer. This
    will far outweigh any possible cost savings of using separate ink cartridges.

    > A high priority would be that cartriges for the new printer be
    > available for at least 10 years.

    Cartridges for HP's "ThinkJet" printer, introduced more than 20 years ago are
    still available.

    Regards,

    On 4 Jul 2005 12:24:43 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Miss Perspicacia reccomendeds the ip3000... I do concur and add that
    >it's available at www.newegg.com for $65 shipped (plus or minus a few
    >bucks depending on the season) and a $20 rebate till september or so.

    I third that motion. The ip3000 is a great value. I bought one for
    our office. I use aftermarket cartridges from Eforcity
    http://www.eforcity.com that seem to be a perfect likeness to the
    original.

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    >"IanO" <IanONet@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>In May 1995, I bought a Cannon Bj-200e which has served me well. I
    >>print perhaps ten pages a month (unless I am updating my resume when I
    >>print a few more) so I don't need a fancy printer, just one that will
    >>print when I need it to. The local Wal-Mart is selling a Lex-Mark color
    >>printer for $30 which is not much more than the price of a cartridge
    >>for the Cannon.
    >>
    >>Well unless you all rave about that one, I am prepared to go a little
    >>higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
    >>avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
    >>than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
    >>a low priority.
    >>

    >If you only print 10 pages a month you probably want a very low end printer
    >with high quality printing. Separate ink cartridges will not help in your case
    >since there will be some servicing overhead whenever you use the printer. This
    >will far outweigh any possible cost savings of using separate ink cartridges.
    >

    >>A high priority would be that cartriges for the new printer be
    >>available for at least 10 years.
    >>

    >Cartridges for HP's "ThinkJet" printer, introduced more than 20 years ago are
    >still available.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    BOB, DO YOU RECOMMEND REMAN UNBRANDED AFTERMARKET CARTS FOR HP PRINTERS?

    DIO YOU RECOMMEND REFILLING HP CARTS WITH NONAME UNBRANDED INK?

    measekite wrote:

    > Bob Headrick wrote:
    >
    >> "IanO" <IanONet@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> In May 1995, I bought a Cannon Bj-200e which has served me well. I
    >>> print perhaps ten pages a month (unless I am updating my resume when I
    >>> print a few more) so I don't need a fancy printer, just one that will
    >>> print when I need it to. The local Wal-Mart is selling a Lex-Mark color
    >>> printer for $30 which is not much more than the price of a cartridge
    >>> for the Cannon.
    >>>
    >>> Well unless you all rave about that one, I am prepared to go a little
    >>> higher say $50 to $100 for a replacement printer. I have been told to
    >>> avoid the color printers whose color cartridges are all in one rathter
    >>> than ones with separate cartridges for each color. Printing photos are
    >>> a low priority.
    >>>

    >> If you only print 10 pages a month you probably want a very low end
    >> printer with high quality printing. Separate ink cartridges will not
    >> help in your case since there will be some servicing overhead whenever
    >> you use the printer. This will far outweigh any possible cost savings
    >> of using separate ink cartridges.
    >>

    >>> A high priority would be that cartriges for the new printer be
    >>> available for at least 10 years.
    >>>

    >> Cartridges for HP's "ThinkJet" printer, introduced more than 20 years
    >> ago are still available.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
    >>

    > BOB, DO YOU RECOMMEND REMAN UNBRANDED AFTERMARKET CARTS FOR HP PRINTERS?
    >
    > DIO YOU RECOMMEND REFILLING HP CARTS WITH NONAME UNBRANDED INK?

    Why do you even ask Bob questions you already know the answers to. He
    works for HP! Need moral support?

    If people are determined to save money, and we're not talking a couple
    of bucks here, more like hundreds of dollars per year depending on use,
    they will choose refill/compatibles and take the risks. Printers are
    inexpensive compared to inks. I have chosen this route and have found it
    to be the "yellow brick road" to savings. The risks are more than
    minimal (I have seen no harm) and the quality fine. And those hundreds
    of dollars I didn't spend on OEM ink are in my wallet (so to speak).
    Guess who has your money?

    -Taliesyn

    HAPPY CLOGGING

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >> Bob Headrick wrote:
    >>
    >>> "IanO" <IanONet@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> If you only print 10 pages a month you probably want a very low end
    >>> printer with high quality printing. Separate ink cartridges will
    >>> not help in your case since there will be some servicing overhead
    >>> whenever you use the printer. This will far outweigh any possible
    >>> cost savings of using separate ink cartridges.

    >>> Cartridges for HP's "ThinkJet" printer, introduced more than 20
    >>> years ago are still available.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
    >>>

    >> BOB, DO YOU RECOMMEND REMAN UNBRANDED AFTERMARKET CARTS FOR HP PRINTERS?
    >>
    >> DIO YOU RECOMMEND REFILLING HP CARTS WITH NONAME UNBRANDED INK?
    >

    > Why do you even ask Bob questions you already know the answers to. He
    > works for HP! Need moral support?
    >
    > If people are determined to save money, and we're not talking a couple
    > of bucks here, more like hundreds of dollars per year depending on use,

    The average consumer does not print enough to warrant taking any chance
    with aftermarket inks as the saving are not there. Your usage and
    situation if far from average. You are an extreme users.

    measekite wrote:

    > Taliesyn wrote:
    >
    >> measekite wrote:

    >>> BOB, DO YOU RECOMMEND REMAN UNBRANDED AFTERMARKET CARTS FOR HP PRINTERS?
    >>>
    >>> DIO YOU RECOMMEND REFILLING HP CARTS WITH NONAME UNBRANDED INK?
    >>

    >> Why do you even ask Bob questions you already know the answers to. He
    >> works for HP! Need moral support?
    >>
    >> If people are determined to save money, and we're not talking a couple
    >> of bucks here, more like hundreds of dollars per year depending on use,
    >

    > The average consumer does not print enough to warrant taking any chance
    > with aftermarket inks as the saving are not there. Your usage and
    > situation if far from average. You are an extreme users.

    I wouldn't define myself as a heavy user. I would say moderate, where
    use of OEM cartridges becomes prohibitive. For you, who use just one
    or two sets per year, at best, stick with your OEM inks and be happy.

    I'm guessing any person using just one set of cartridges per year will
    not bother with compatibles. I use 5 to 10 sets per year, so that
    equates to almost $1000 CAD saved at the high end of 10 sets per year
    by not using OEM. I enjoy the comfort cheap ink brings me: I sometimes
    print the same photo 3-4 times (without batting an eyelash) until I get
    the exact color balance/contrast/brightness I want. There's just no way
    I could do that with OEM. I'd probably say, "Yeah, his face is green,
    but I can't afford another print". With non-Canon inks I can print with
    absolutely no cost restrictions.

    -Taliesyn

    > Second question: How do he get a Canon to last 10 years!

    Hmmm, windex? That's what I do to the bj-2100.

    > What does that mean, you just clean it with Windex and never use it?

    No no no... I niece hardly ever uses her BJ-2100, but when she does she
    just cleans the clogged head with windex and poof it prints.

    For you, a heavy user living in expensive Canada it make sense if you
    like the messy pain in the ass. And even if you do not like the messy
    pain in the ass.

    measekite wrote:

    > For you, a heavy user living in expensive Canada it make sense if you
    > like the messy pain in the ass. And even if you do not like the messy
    > pain in the ass.

    I'm not a particularly heavy user. It only looks that way to you because
    you only use one set of cartridges per year. It's all relative.

    As for refilling being a "pain in the ass" (like you can talk, you've
    never done it), I just refilled the large pigmented black that was
    showing "low". I did it right where I'm typing now, in front of the
    computer screen - no trays, no gloves, no paper towels, not even a
    tissue. So where's the mess you keep scaring me with??? And again, I
    take great resentment that someone who's never done it is telling me,
    who's done it several times a year, that it's a messy proposition. Are
    you that mentally and physically handicapped that you know you can't
    handle a little bottle and syringe? Obviously you would know that you
    can't, hence the "messy".

    I just removed the micro screw, injected 80% full of pigmented, put the
    screw back, taped the vent, put it away in storage in a baggy and washed
    the syringe. It took all of 5 minutes and my cost was about $1.00. Any
    time I can save $16 (taxes included) over Costco Canada's individual
    price (but you must buy 3), then I'm tickled magenta. Yeah, it's a
    bummer saving $16 for 5 minutes work. How many hours per day do you
    spend putting up useless posts in this ng?

    -Taliesyn

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>Second question: How do he get a Canon to last 10 years!
    >

    > Hmmm, windex? That's what I do to the bj-2100.

    What does that mean, you just clean it with Windex and never use it?

    I guess that would be one way. Like a museum piece.

    My father is still using my first inkjet, an Epson 500. The color
    cartridge has been dry in the printer for about 7 years. I just refill
    the black from an 8 oz bottle of bulk. The printer will probably last
    forever. He uses it only for text and it's slow as molasses.

    -Taliesyn

    -Taliesyn

    You can still buy ink cartridges for Canon bj200e printer, who told you they
    were not available any more. That's the nice thing about Canon printers,
    they are so universal that ink cartridges are always available. But the
    question to ponder is it better to buy cartridges for a 10 year old printer
    at $25 - $35 each obsolete technology or buy a new printer like a Canon
    IP1500 $80cdn or a IP2000 for $100cdn new technology.

    Henri wrote:

    > You can still buy ink cartridges for Canon bj200e printer, who told you they
    > were not available any more. That's the nice thing about Canon printers,
    > they are so universal that ink cartridges are always available. But the
    > question to ponder is it better to buy cartridges for a 10 year old printer
    > at $25 - $35 each obsolete technology or buy a new printer like a Canon
    > IP1500 $80cdn or a IP2000 for $100cdn new technology.

    With a printer that old, he's obviously not doing anything "important"
    with it - text, minimal graphics, no photos. He'd be best off buying
    some bulk ink. It would last him another 10 years. :-)

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >>

    >> Taliesyn wrote:

    >>> Why do you even ask Bob questions you already know the answers to.
    >>> He works for HP! Need moral support?
    >>>
    >>> If people are determined to save money, and we're not talking a
    >>> couple of bucks here, more like hundreds of dollars per year
    >>> depending on use,
    >>

    >> The average consumer does not print enough to warrant taking any
    >> chance with aftermarket inks as the saving are not there. Your
    >> usage and situation if far from average. You are an extreme users.
    >>

    > I wouldn't define myself as a heavy user. I would say moderate, where
    > use of OEM cartridges becomes prohibitive. For you, who use just one
    > or two sets per year, at best, stick with your OEM inks and be happy.
    >
    > I'm guessing any person using just one set of cartridges per year will
    > not bother with compatibles. I use 5 to 10 sets per year, so that
    > equates to almost $1000 CAD saved at the high end of 10 sets per year
    > by not using OEM. I enjoy the comfort cheap ink brings me: I sometimes
    > print the same photo 3-4 times (without batting an eyelash) until I
    > get the exact color balance/contrast/brightness I want. There's just
    > no way I could do that with OEM. I'd probably say, "Yeah, his face is
    > green, but I can't afford another print". With non-Canon inks I can
    > print with absolutely no cost restrictions.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    Taliesyn

    There are a couple of adages you have to bear in mind when talking to MK: -

    1) Never try to argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their
    level and beat you with experience.

    2) Never try to teach a pig to sing - it will frustrate you and irritate
    the pig.

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> For you, a heavy user living in expensive Canada it make sense if you
    >> like the messy pain in the ass. And even if you do not like the
    >> messy pain in the ass.
    >>

    > I'm not a particularly heavy user. It only looks that way to you because
    > you only use one set of cartridges per year. It's all relative.
    >
    > As for refilling being a "pain in the ass" (like you can talk, you've
    > never done it), I just refilled the large pigmented black that was
    > showing "low". I did it right where I'm typing now, in front of the
    > computer screen - no trays, no gloves, no paper towels, not even a
    > tissue. So where's the mess you keep scaring me with???

    I hope your mommy did not see you do it.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    >Taliesyn wrote:
    >

    >>measekite wrote:

    >>>The average consumer does not print enough to warrant taking any
    >>>chance with aftermarket inks as the saving are not there. Your
    >>>usage and situation if far from average. You are an extreme users.
    >>>

    >>I wouldn't define myself as a heavy user. I would say moderate, where
    >>use of OEM cartridges becomes prohibitive. For you, who use just one
    >>or two sets per year, at best, stick with your OEM inks and be happy.
    >>
    >>I'm guessing any person using just one set of cartridges per year will
    >>not bother with compatibles. I use 5 to 10 sets per year, so that
    >>equates to almost $1000 CAD saved at the high end of 10 sets per year
    >>by not using OEM. I enjoy the comfort cheap ink brings me: I sometimes
    >>print the same photo 3-4 times (without batting an eyelash) until I
    >>get the exact color balance/contrast/brightness I want. There's just
    >>no way I could do that with OEM. I'd probably say, "Yeah, his face is
    >>green, but I can't afford another print". With non-Canon inks I can
    >>print with absolutely no cost restrictions.
    >>
    >>-Taliesyn
    >>

    >Taliesyn
    >
    >There are a couple of adages you have to bear in mind when talking to MK: -
    >
    >1) Never try to argue with an idiot like me; especially when I am on the rag. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    >
    >2) Never try to teach an ugly pig like me to sing - it will frustrate you and irritate
    >the me.

Printers Peripherals