AMD 3800+ X2 Build - Need Advice

mwiz79

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hi,

I am planning to build a machine around AMD 3800+ X2 processor and I have few doubts and queries about what parts work well with it :
1) Should I buy AM2 or socket 939?
2) Which motherboard? (the machine won't be used for gaming much, but maybe for some video encoding)
3) Which RAM (Brand/Type/Speed etc)?
4) Video Card? (a reasonably priced one considering "non-gaming" use)
5) Which heat-sink/fan? (user won't be overclocking it at all!!!)
6) Suggestions for a good heat-sink paste
7) Also, I am planning to buy an Audigy 2 ZS platinum card. Does it make sense to pay $100 for it or there better options available.

I shall be grateful for any help with this...

TIA,
M :?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hello!

1)AM2. 939 is dead, meaning no more new CPUs. Just make sure to get DDR2 RAM, 667Mhz or 800Mhz at CAS4/3 is good.

2)What is your budget? There are plenty of options, but for a non-gamer the ASUS M2N-E should have plenty of features. If it still too expensive, maybe a nForce 550 Chipset motherboard.

3)I prefer these brands: Kingston, OCZ, Corsair. Watch out, OCZ doesn't always play nice with ASUS motherboards, though. Type should be DDR2. Speed should be either 667Mhz or 800Mhz depending on budget. Do try and get CAS4 memory.

4)Non-Gaming? Hmm....The 7300GT is good, X1300Pro is nice as well.

5)No OC'ing? Stock'll do fine. If it is too noisy, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is low noise on a budget.

6)Arctic Silver is good, Zalman paste is the best, though.

7)Well, are you doing sound-intensive tasks like encoding or similar? If not, onboard is perfectly fine. Most users will have a bit of trouble noticing onboard vs. add-in. The extra $100 should go to whatever needs upgrading, like more memory.

Hope I answered the questions! If not, just post back. Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
True, I forgot to mention onboard video. It'll downright suck for anything more than a flash online game, but they are perfect for non-gamers. The MSI K9NGM2-FID is a good motherboard, with onboard DVI. I hate to even mention the thought of waiting, but the 7-Series IGP motherboards are coming soon. No major upgrades, so they are not really worth the wait. Just mentioning..

~Ibrahim~

P.S. I'm a nimble knuckle now!

mwiz79

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for the response. I shall go for an ASUS MB. I plan to plug-in my guitar into the sound card and hence Audigy2 ZS. btw is onboard sound 7.1 channel (5.1 channel atleast). My last desktop was a P-III so I am still stuck in the times when onboard sound was only stereo at best.

btw between an AMD 3800+ X2 and a Pentium D 805 which one is better as such and better value for money, considering the kindof use I am looking at...Also, any guesses if a 3800+ X2 (or for that matter a Pentium D 805) system remain resonably good for another 2 years at least?

Both of you seem not very keen on Audigy 2 ZS. Does it make sense to go for a cheaper Audigy SE card?

Regards
M

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
btw between an AMD 3800+ X2 and a Pentium D 805 which one is better as such and better value for money, considering the kindof use I am looking at...Also, any guesses if a 3800+ X2 (or for that matter a Pentium D 805) system remain resonably good for another 2 years at least?

Regards
M

Pentium Ds suck, especially the D805 unless you overclock the hell out of it which requires more power and generates much more heat. Between those two CPUs- X2-3800+ all the way with no question.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, X2 3800+ will slap that 805 silly. If are actually using the sound card for more than some basic tasks like an MP3 or in-game sound, I would say the ZS would provide a better option. If you look hard, you may be able to find a X-Fi XtremeMusic for only ~$20 more than the ZS. It basically as the same processor as the Platinum Pro or whatever the best one is, just doesn't have all the accessories.

~Ibrahim~