Adding FQ-Domain name

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,
I need to add a Fully Qualified Domain Name to my local
DNS, which is different than my domain and it has some "."
like aa.bb.cc.com.
Does anyone know how I can add it, I dont want to use
hosts file.
Thanks for any help-Rob

Active Directory Domains and Trusts. Add a new UPN called aa.bb.cc.com

Deji

"Rob" <rob@nul.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I need to add a Fully Qualified Domain Name to my local
> DNS, which is different than my domain and it has some "."
> like aa.bb.cc.com.
> Does anyone know how I can add it, I dont want to use
> hosts file.
> Thanks for any help-Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your post.

You can try the following steps:

1. Open DNS console in Administrator console, right-click "Forward lookup
zones" and choose "New zone".

2. In the wizard, select "Primary zone" -> "To all domain controllers in
the Active Directory domain" -> Input the zone name: "bb.cc.com" (without
the quotation marks) -> "Allow only secure dynamic updates" -> Finish the
wizard.

3. Navigate to the new zone, right-click it and choose "New host (A)".
Input the "aa" (without the quotation marks) in Name box. Input the IP
address and click "Add host" button.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if you need
further assistance.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Woody Guo
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@readymaids.com>
| Subject: Re: Adding FQ-Domain name
| Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:26:06 -0700
|
| Active Directory Domains and Trusts. Add a new UPN called aa.bb.cc.com
|
| Deji
|
| "Rob" <rob@nul.ca> wrote in message
| > Hello,
| > I need to add a Fully Qualified Domain Name to my local
| > DNS, which is different than my domain and it has some "."
| > like aa.bb.cc.com.
| > Does anyone know how I can add it, I dont want to use
| > hosts file.
| > Thanks for any help-Rob

In news:13b601c4bcf5$b7a68710$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Rob <rob@nul.ca> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
> I need to add a Fully Qualified Domain Name to my local
> DNS, which is different than my domain and it has some "."
> like aa.bb.cc.com.
> Does anyone know how I can add it, I dont want to use
> hosts file.
> Thanks for any help-Rob

Add a new forward lookup zone named 'aa.bb.cc.com' then in that zone create
a new host, leave the name field blank, give it the IP you want aa.bb.cc.com
to resolve to. Win2k barks at you saying (same as parent folder) is not a
valid host name, click OK the create the record anyway.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]