Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
My hard drive...in my dell

Heres my system specs (2 yrs old)

3.2ghz p4
x550 VGA
512 400mhz ddr ram
and a 160gb Western Digital Hardrive

Well, I got speed fan, and mother board monitor and they both say my hard drive runs at 60-65 degrees celcius. Then I ran a defragmentation and it went to 66, normally, like right know its 62c.

Know when I surf around I see hard drive temps at 25-50c, not 66...

Is 66 way to hot, cause my computer has been freezing up lately...

to bad theres nothing I can do because theres no room to do anything with it in my case.

Also it the HD vibrates all the time, I have to put my hand on my comp to make it stop

Should I complain to dell? or just way till my hard drive fails and tell them, because I've heard anything over 45c shortens the life of your HD.

Thanks

also...am I just being dumb and is 66c not that hot,,,

crusher

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
your HD vibrate a lot because that can cause the freeze of your computer, also the HD is a delicate part of the PC so it should not vibrate, do clic, or do an excesive noise, the temp for your hard drive should be 30-45C but if you see an increment of +10C then you have an overheat problen and that could cause you to freeze the machine.

WickedDevils

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Touch it. SMART sensors are known to fail.

LOL

My CPU went to 90 degrees celcius one day. I fiddled around with the memory and it brought it back down. Then I had to reapply the thermal paste cause it killed that.

I would say put some type of thermometer next to it. I'm going to fry's next week to purchase some for myself..