Minor DNS issue

I suppose in a bigger network, this would be bigger than it is. But,
basically, I've got something that's shown up in troubleshooting
something else.

In short, it looks like reverse lookup isn't updating for a couple of
workstations in my LAN. It's not big, only about 30 nodes, running in a
Win2K domain. No AD due to one Win98 fax PC not yet upgraded. The two
machines are both Win2K Pro. I have not seen or heard of any trouble
from these two machines.

I haven't bothered to troubleshoot this yet because I don't see any big
problems arising from it so far. Is that denial in action, or am I
right to give this a priority, but not a high one?

Any suggested first course of action?

Thanks, in advance.

In news:MPG.1beb0c8f54b7e0d2989680@free.teranews.com,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> made a post then I commented below
> I suppose in a bigger network, this would be bigger than it is. But,
> basically, I've got something that's shown up in troubleshooting
> something else.
>
> In short, it looks like reverse lookup isn't updating for a couple of
> workstations in my LAN. It's not big, only about 30 nodes, running
> in a Win2K domain. No AD due to one Win98 fax PC not yet upgraded.
> The two machines are both Win2K Pro. I have not seen or heard of any
> trouble from these two machines.
>
> I haven't bothered to troubleshoot this yet because I don't see any
> big problems arising from it so far. Is that denial in action, or am
> I right to give this a priority, but not a high one?
>
> Any suggested first course of action?
>
> Thanks, in advance.

Yes, I would fix this. Less hassles in the future.

This is somewhat confusing. You say you have a W2k domain, but yet you say
you do not have Active Directory due to something about the Win98 machine. A
W2k domain is Active Directory. Can you be more specific?

As long as the clients are pointing to only the internal DNS that AD is
using, (no others in IP properties), it should perform the reverse zone
registration. If not, then those specific clients may be trying to update
into whatever DNS server is listed in IP properties (maybe your ISP's?).

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:MPG.1beb0c8f54b7e0d2989680@free.teranews.com,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I suppose in a bigger network, this would be bigger than
> it is. But, basically, I've got something that's shown
> up in troubleshooting something else.
>
> In short, it looks like reverse lookup isn't updating for
> a couple of workstations in my LAN. It's not big, only
> about 30 nodes, running in a Win2K domain. No AD due to
> one Win98 fax PC not yet upgraded. The two machines are
> both Win2K Pro. I have not seen or heard of any trouble
> from these two machines.

You cannot have a Win2k domain without AD.

That said, Win98 boxes do not support DNS registration, but Win2k DHCP can
register these legacy clients for you. The DHCP server machine must have the
DDNS server in TCP/IP properties of its interfaces, and have option 015 with
the domain name for Forward lookup and PTR with FQDN. DCHP DNS registration
is on the Scope properties, DNS tab.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]