Client doesn't update DDNS

Tommyt

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004

I'm running two DNS servers (primary & secondary) on W2K in a mixed-mode
environment (no A/D). The server where the primary DNS server is running is
also acting as a DHCP server. The DHCP server is configured to automatically
update DHCP client info, with the "Always update DNS" option selected. The
DNS forward lookup zone (as well as the reverse lookup) are configured to
allow dynamic updates. For some reason, some DHCP clients don't update the
DNS zones. All clients are XP Pro SP1. I've tried to force registration
using IPCONFIG /registerdns to no avail. Any ideas?

In news:C920A0F0-FBAD-490B-9595-212969F0508F@microsoft.com,
TommyT <TommyT@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm running two DNS servers (primary & secondary) on W2K
> in a mixed-mode environment (no A/D). The server where
> the primary DNS server is running is also acting as a
> DHCP server. The DHCP server is configured to
> automatically update DHCP client info, with the "Always
> update DNS" option selected. The DNS forward lookup zone
> (as well as the reverse lookup) are configured to allow
> dynamic updates. For some reason, some DHCP clients
> don't update the DNS zones. All clients are XP Pro SP1.
> I've tried to force registration using IPCONFIG
> /registerdns to no avail. Any ideas?

For DHCP to register clients in DNS, you must configure option 015 with the
domain name you want the clients to register in and the server DHCP is
running on must have the DDNS server configured in TCP/IP properties of the
network connection.
XP Pro clients can register themselves in DNS if they have the Primary or
connection specific suffix of the domain and they have the DDNS server
configured in TCP/IP properties.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Tommyt

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004

Thanks Kevin - actually it turned out that "Register this connection's
addresses in DNS" was not checked in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings for the
particular network connection. Not sure why it wouldn't have been checked
though, as I've setup many clients and never run across this before. Thanks
for your help.