Core 2 mobo help needed. (memory & raid)

Division

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm still trying to decide to wait and get the new nForce 590 boards or just get something with SLI now.

I've got my eyes on this guy:
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=227&model=745&modelmenu=1

I got a Core 2 Extreme and will be running Quad SLI. I got all the components for a build except the mobo and memory.

The first question, the board says it only supports 667/533 memory. But the RAM I want to get is 1066. Now is it a PIA to make it run at 1066 or is it pretty simple? (specifics how to do it would be awesome) I think the timing is 5-5-5-15

Secondly I need to run 2 instances of RAID. Primary would be 2 drives running RAID 0 and the other a secure setup of 2 drives running RAID 1. I noticed with the new 590 boards is super-simple...a few clicks and done. How about the current board though? Is it integrated into the BIOS where are few changes here and there set it up or will I need 3rd party support?

Or should I just say "the hell with it" and wait for the 590? Just wish there was some kind of release date for the damn thing.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same setup waiting to be built. I'm gonna hold off until the 590 SLI Intel edition is available -- waiting and waiting...

I think you would be better off waiting, the use of Corsair specific memory for the 590 has some impressive performance and overclock potential. 2X performance gain over AMD FX60 is pretty impressive.

The King is dead, long live the King.

TRENDING THREADS