DNS response Issue

Stephen

Hi,

I am new to DNS. I have written a UDPlistener/UDPsender console application.
I am using the followings components.

a Cisco switch (almost outdated but still have to use it)
2 computers connected to the Switch (One a server another a client), the
client is removed from the LAN so any request from the client has to go
through the switch and the server.

The server has the console application, that accepts requests on Port 53.

Suppose the client(ip: a,b,c,d) makes a request for google(ip: m,n,o,p)
through the server(w,x,y,z)... no matter what the request is, the response
to the request should be (e,f,g,h).

basically its a redirection.

the problem is, I have a console client that gets the response (e,f,g,h)
when I make a request to the server... but how can I achieve this result
when I open a browser?....
I ran ethereal and it gives me a bunch of hexadecimal characters that seems
to be a part of the request/response protocol.

How do i capture it? the web browser just hangs and after sometime, "could
not open the page" message pops up.

Please advice,
Stephen.

The browser depends on OS settings for name resolution.
So make sure:
1. TCP/IP settings on the NIC point to the server (w,x,y,z) for DNS
2. There are no Proxy settings in the browser.

Other things to consider:
(a) When you do the redirection to (e,f,g,h), do you have a webpage that
the client can access on the (e,f,g,h) machine?
If not, it's normal to get a Page cannot be displayed message in the
browser.

(b) Even if you do have a webserver on (e,f,g,h) machine, does it respond
to the webpage requested (www.google.com)?
If not, it's normal to get a Page cannot be displayed error message.

When you are looking at a trace in Ethereal, the details of
request/response packets should show in the "Packet Detail" window.
If the packet detail window is not showing up, select View, then "Packet
Detail".

----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.