NIF Import problems...

I'm trying to create a simple mod to flip all the gloves (and
bracers/gauntlets/pauldrons) so that the left and right gloves don't look
exactly the same when you place them on the ground. I've already created
the flipped icons for all the items, so that's done. I'm having problems
importing the NIF files in order to flip them, however. Many of them work,
though they all come in with the textures flipped. (Easy enough to fix in
most cases.) Most of them don't import at all, however. No error or
anything, just doesn't import. A few of them only partially import. And
several of them cause Max to instantly crash. Is there some step I'm
missing to make these things load properly? I'm using Max 4.2, btw, which
seems to be the latest version that their plugin works on. (I'd love to use
Max 6 or 7, but I don't feel up to recompiling their source to make a
current plugin...) For the curious, here's a list of what items did what:

Worked:
Armun-An Bonemold Pauldron, Bonemold Pauldron, Daedric Pauldron, Ebony
Bracer, Ebony Pauldron, Fists of Radagulf, Glass Pauldron, Imperial Templar
Bracer, Indoril Pauldron, Leather Bracer, Nordic Fur Pauldron

Partial Import:
Chitin Gauntlet, Iron Gauntlet, Orcish Pauldron

No Import:
Bal Molagmer Glove, Black Glove, Bonemold Bracer, Chitin Pauldron, Cloth
Bracer, Common Glove, Expensive Glove, Extravagant Glove, Imperial Chain
Pauldron, Imperial Gauntlet, Imperial Steel Pauldron, Imperial Templar
Pauldron, Indoril Gauntlet, Netch Gauntlet, Netch Pauldron, Nordic Fur
Bracer, Nordic Fur Gauntlet, Orcish Bracer, Slave Bracer, Steel Gauntlet,
Steel Pauldron

Crashed Max:
Daedric Gauntlet, Dwemer Bracer, Dwemer Pauldron, Gah-Julan Bonemold
Pauldron, Glass Bracer, Wraithguard
2 answers Last reply
More about import problems

    Okay, I'm starting to get a little more luck out of it. Apparently you
    can't work on more than one model per Max session. So it's load Max, import
    model, flip, fix textures, export, quit Max, restart, etc. Some models
    still seem to crash even when I've just started Max, but I seem to be able
    to access most of them this way, as tedious as it is waiting for Max to load
    every time...

    > Okay, I'm starting to get a little more luck out of it. Apparently you
    > can't work on more than one model per Max session. So it's load Max,
    import
    > model, flip, fix textures, export, quit Max, restart, etc. Some models
    > still seem to crash even when I've just started Max, but I seem to be able
    > to access most of them this way, as tedious as it is waiting for Max to
    load
    > every time...

    Well, that technique took care of most of my problems, but there are still 4
    models I cannot import into Max no matter what I do. The Glass Bracer,
    Gah-Julan Bonemold Pauldron, Orcish Pauldron, and Wraithguard all crash Max
    instantly when attempting to import. Does anybody else out there have Max
    and the plugin to check if I'm the only one having this problem? The mod is
    almost complete except for those 4 items...

Video Games