Last response: in Storage
August 17, 2006 12:33:14 AM

i just ordered a mobo which supports sata 1.5 gbs
will a hdd with sata3.0gbs work ok?

thanks for any advice

More about : sata1

a b G Storage
August 17, 2006 6:54:28 PM

Yes, you will just have to jumper the drive (in some cases, other will automatically switch) to run at the slower interface speed.
August 17, 2006 7:11:45 PM

I can confirm this is true. In my case no jumper was necessary. "It just worked".

And from what I understand there is ZERO performance difference. Modern computers/drives can't take advantage of the speed of ATA133 much less SerialATA 3.0. It's similar to the almost zero performance difference of APG vs PCI-E. Basically all just a marketing scam at this point. I'm sure someday it will matter, but by then you'll have a completely new computer....
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 17, 2006 8:35:53 PM

Actually there is a bit of a performance gain with PCI-E over AGP, just not as much as people make us think.
August 17, 2006 9:18:37 PM

Quote:
Actually there is a bit of a performance gain with PCI-E over AGP, just not as much as people make us think.

Actually with AGP 8X and PCI Express there is not difference the only problem with AGP is it can't handle the amount of power that PCI-E can, eventually there will be a difference but there is not enough data going in and out of the graphics card for there to be any difference betwenn the two as of yet.
August 17, 2006 11:18:42 PM

thanks man
!