DNS failure

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 network with AD integrated running. Clients and
Servers are able to access dns services both internal and external to the
network. However, when I run a simple dns test query it fails. When I run a
recursive one it fails as well. When I run nslookup on my server it comes
back that the server name for the correct ip address cannot be found yet in
the dns console the name is there. Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this.
Would really appreciate some feedback from some experieced dns folks.

Thanks in advance.

In news:19430409-6442-41EE-9206-43C9CDC3F451@microsoft.com,
Cincy57 <Cincy57@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 network with AD integrated running.
> Clients and Servers are able to access dns services both
> internal and external to the network. However, when I run
> a simple dns test query it fails. When I run a recursive
> one it fails as well. When I run nslookup on my server it
> comes back that the server name for the correct ip
> address cannot be found yet in the dns console the name
> is there. Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this. Would
> really appreciate some feedback from some experieced dns
> folks.
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is nslookup performing a reverse lookup on the IP of the DNS server.
You can ignore this or create a reverse lookup zone and PTR record for the
IP address.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]