7950 GX2 Quad still good for DX10?

Rday

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Will the 7950 GTX support direct 10 features.

Also does it have AA and HDR at the same time?

Will games like UT2007 and Crysis take full advantage of its power?

turkishdrummer

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
wow I also have a 7950gtx and will cry when I have to buy a new card. 600 dollars down the drain. Mayble companies will let me trade my card in for a discounted dx10 card.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
IMO it's not the best thing to buy a bleeding edge card several months before a whole new generation comes out. However, you can rest easy knowing that Crysis, for one, has been developed on DX9 as have all the big budget games due out within the next 6 months. So you're probably in good shape for at least a year or more before games arrive that are DX10 only. Your mileage may vary.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
It's not $600 down the drain. It will take time for REAL DX10 games to appear. I guess your 7950gtx will be "mid-high" end for another 8-12 months.
From what little I know, the first DX10 cards will be huge and require their own power-supply. You might need to wait for the 2nd generation cards if you want a good single-slot solution.

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
if they will come with their own power supply "brick" that would be awsome, then i wouldnt have to get a new psu :wink: :D , that would be sweet :lol:
Too right! The new cards having their own psu would really help imo, less power going through the one gateway (system psu) would help with keeping the whole system running with less danger of burnt out or a surge.

I wouldn't bother getting a new gcard if you have the 7950 already, not at least till DX10 cards can show their value for money.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
if they will come with their own power supply "brick" that would be awsome, then i wouldnt have to get a new psu :wink: :D , that would be sweet :lol:
Too right! The new cards having their own psu would really help imo, less power going through the one gateway (system psu) would help with keeping the whole system running with less danger of burnt out or a surge.

Thats jsut what I need... another power brick and another wire. I can't take anymore wires until wireless USB comes around.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
big deal, 1 more brick here or there, it doesnt take that much space, and 1 more cable thats not much more, usually its all behind a desk and its not even visible, I prefare to have that 1 brick and cable more behind the ps than to go and buy a new psu (770W or more), just think about it why waste $$ on a new psu if that $$ can go towards a gpu? (especially when it comes with a brick psu, furthermore there is less strain (as mentioned above) on the main psu, therefore less heat, therefore a longer lifespan of the psu :wink: , i would go and get one of the brick psu's gpu's than any other non bricked one if they had the same performance specs.

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
big deal, 1 more brick here or there, it doesnt take that much space, and 1 more cable thats not much more, usually its all behind a desk and its not even visible, I prefare to have that 1 brick and cable more behind the ps than to go and buy a new psu (770W or more), just think about it why waste $$ on a new psu if that $$ can go towards a gpu? (especially when it comes with a brick psu, furthermore there is less strain (as mentioned above) on the main psu, therefore less heat, therefore a longer lifespan of the psu :wink: , i would go and get one of the brick psu's gpu's than any other non bricked one if they had the same performance specs.

I seriously dont understand why people get so hyped up about 7950GX2 with quad SLI. Sure I dont have money to buy 2 of them for Quad, but even if I have money to buy 2 of them, I have to spend at least $1600 more to buy a 30" monitor from Dell or Apple to see the result. Maybe it's the same thing happen about SLI, lots of people keep comparing between a mid range cards SLI setup with an high ended card. The answer is always the latter will win.

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

I seriously dont understand why people get so hyped up about 7950GX2 with quad SLI. Sure I dont have money to buy 2 of them for Quad, but even if I have money to buy 2 of them, I have to spend at least $1600 more to buy a 30" monitor from Dell or Apple to see the result. Maybe it's the same thing happen about SLI, lots of people keep comparing between a mid range cards SLI setup with an high ended card. The answer is always the latter will win.

The type of people who go quad sli dont think twice about laying down 2 gees for a 30" lcd. To each his own...

LOL This guy got shut down hard. NO. NO. NO.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
if all this refers fo me im not saying that sli is beter i will always prefare a single powerful gpu card, i just ment the powering uptions of whatever cards, its just that I see no reason why should i buy a new psu if its possible to build a gpu card which can power itselfe from the externap psu (considering the new cards will be power hungry. right now i have a 480W psu which i think is enough to power a "regular" pc, but with the new gpu's i would have to waste my $$ on a new psu even thou the one i have works well, i just see no point, thats why i was also looking online for some power brix that would power the gpu cards like the one asus's gpu card used (i forgot the model)

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
if all this refers fo me im not saying that sli is beter i will always prefare a single powerful gpu card, i just ment the powering uptions of whatever cards, its just that I see no reason why should i buy a new psu if its possible to build a gpu card which can power itselfe from the externap psu (considering the new cards will be power hungry. right now i have a 480W psu which i think is enough to power a "regular" pc, but with the new gpu's i would have to waste my $$ on a new psu even thou the one i have works well, i just see no point, thats why i was also looking online for some power brix that would power the gpu cards like the one asus's gpu card used (i forgot the model)

I didnt mean to get back at you, maybe I click quote rather than reply, that's why it showed your quote. No offense intended. Sorry man.